• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

FanFic Q&A Thread 2.0

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
The last one slipped into the 3rd page so I decided to start a new one.

Here you can ask anything about fanfiction. Whether it be naming a character or whatever you need to ask.

This time it will be more organized, too. I will be posting the questions in the first post along with the given answers as to make it organized.

Ask away!

Questions asked:

It came up today actually were one of my readers asked if I could do a character bio. for each of my chars. Now would it be better to do these seperate or combine then into the story via flash backs?

As Griff said, it does depend on how you present the flashbacks in the first place. Don't do them in flashbacks if it won't offer anything to the story's plot itself however, firstly - personally I'm not one for character bios unless it's a script-form or something like that.
If your story is written like the average fanfic here is written, don't bother with bios unless you want to - introduce that character's personality through description, and their actions, slowly and surely. Don't just blurt it all out at once, as it seems unnaturaly, makes it listy, and really detracts from the story itself.

On describing: If the character is rash and angry, show this, don't tell - for example, instead of saying 'Mr Brown. 6 foot 7, he was a very angry man, due to never getting a Nintendo Gamecube' - in that style, (odd example, I know), show us, either through how they talk, and then some actions taken by them backing up that personality - and then maybe show a flashback 'explaining' why the character is like that.
That's only if you haven't established the characters already however...

If you want a bio sepearated from the story itself (not required if the characters are described and protrayed well in the story, unless you want one for the heck of it), I'd suggest doing it in a spoiler, and adding characters as you add them to the story in sepearte spoilers. I wouldn't put the bio straight in the story, unless it is well incoroprated into the storyline (i.e. fits in and makes sense to the plot, doesn't seem random info), and isn't 'listy'.

What's a realistic punishment from the police to someone who has attacked a gym leader?

If it was only a few punches, I wouldn't say too much - anything from a few days to a year in jail terms, depending on injuries, or just a fine and/or even community service, but again it depends on the circumstances. How much damage was dealt? Was the person aggrrivated? Was the Gym Leader at fault here? (e.g. did he/she threaten the attacker?) Look at those things as well - personally, I wouldn't ahve the gYm Leader more improtanty than anyone else to get the attacker a harsher sentence, leastways how I see the Pokemon wrold as protrayed...
I'd suppose then that - for now - they would put in in jail for a few days, or at least overnight, run a criminal record check on him, and then take him to the jury - if the Pokemon world is run like the real world. If the Police force have a 'good response', I'd assume that they would hear all sides of the story beforehand as well, and the Gym Leader trying to take his Pokemon - even if it had done those things - wouldn't look good from any angle. Both could even end up with a sentence.

I'd say, given what happened, something 'mild - if he actually does get a sentence, and it is enforced in the story, I'd say a few weeks jail at the absolute max, (though that's borderline), maybe a week and a fine? And then he might be let off with a warning, if the police view the Gym Leader's actions as foolhardy, and that he was not at fault directly, and had been angered... that may not happen stright off though, so I'd expect him to have at least a night in jail, or afternoon, whatever.

What do people here think of Pokemon X Pokemon relationships?

I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't recall hearing anything about anyone else having problems with it either. Just be careful which types of Pokemon you're trying to match up.

How do you write a fic without accidentially copying the ones you admire?

It's hard to 'accidentially' if you don't try to plagerise. If you want to start writing a fic but don't know what to write, start brainstorming! Jot down some 'ideas' for what kind of fics you want to write (One-shot, chaptered, Journey, Shipping, etc), and then start throwing some ideas around in your head for characters, story ideas, etc. If you like some otherfics and are worried about copying them 'accidentially' - just try to think up some original ideas fo your own. The easy way to avoid it is to use a different style of writing I suppose...

Just slowly come up with your own ideas, and watch them slowly turn into a story of your own. There are many other ways of coming up with an original story I suppose as well.
I'm going to assume you're talking about writing style here, as it would be kinda difficult to 'accidentally' copy someone's ideas if you've read their works.

Anyway, my honest answer is to not worry about it too much. If you're just starting writing(or writing something your previous experience doesn't apply to), then most likely you're going to draw from works you've read and liked. As you write more and gain experience, though, you'll end up working out your own way of doing things and develop a style all your own.

What about gift pokemon? I've noticed that some anime characters don't have regular starters and they where given to them by a parent (Brock comes to mind). But using them in fan fiction is bad, right? Why should some generic character give anyone a free pokemon, and then fall into a plot-hole because they had no other purpose? Right?

Not necessary, it just means that they fall into the category of 'there are ways to do it right, and there are ways to do it horribly wrong'. Making use of Pokemon given as gifts isn't a bad thing in fics, you just have to make sure to avoid the pitfalls.

I think it would even be acceptable for a character to exist for the sole purpose of giving a Pokemon to the character in question, but it would be a good idea to give information on who the person is and why they would just give someone a free Pokemon. For example, the giver might see that the givee has some special skill or trait that would be useful in raising the Pokemon in question, so the Pokemon would be better off in the givee's care.

It's not so much a matter of whether some concepts in writing Pokemon fanfiction are acceptable, it's whether you're capable of making it work well.

Last edited:

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
heh, I was actually looking for this thread. It came up today actually were one of my readers asked if I could do a character bio. for each of my chars. Now would it be better to do these seperate or combine then into the story via flash backs?

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
It is a human. Sorry. XP

Just a plain ol' Assault charge, providing he doesn't get killed doing it (And/or there aren't any injuries involved.) Otherwise it's either Murder, or a slap in the face by the GL himself. =P

You'll have to look up the amount of years yourself because I don't really remember. It's like 5-7 years, though.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
heh, I was actually looking for this thread. It came up today actually were one of my readers asked if I could do a character bio. for each of my chars. Now would it be better to do these seperate or combine then into the story via flash backs?

It depends how you do it in the flashbacks. If you do it seperate then you should make sure that you're showing and not just telling in your actual work. You can probably get a clearer answer from someone else here.

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

Just a plain ol' Assault charge, providing he doesn't get killed doing it (And/or there aren't any injuries involved.) Otherwise it's either Murder, or a slap in the face by the GL himself. =P

You'll have to look up the amount of years yourself because I don't really remember. It's like 5-7 years, though.

There were no real injuries and no deaths, as only about two-three punches were thrown. 5-7 years is very... unlikely for something like that. *shot for not being clear*

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod

It depends how you do it in the flashbacks. If you do it seperate then you should make sure that you're showing and not just telling in your actual work. You can probably get a clearer answer from someone else here.
I shall try to ;)

As Griff said, it does depend on how you present the flashbacks in the first place. Don't do them in flashbacks if it won't offer anything to the story's plot itself however, firstly - personally I'm not one for character bios unless it's a script-form or something like that.
If your story is written like the average fanfic here is written, don't bother with bios unless you want to - introduce that character's personality through description, and their actions, slowly and surely. Don't just blurt it all out at once, as it seems unnaturaly, makes it listy, and really detracts from the story itself.

On describing: If the character is rash and angry, show this, don't tell - for example, instead of saying 'Mr Brown. 6 foot 7, he was a very angry man, due to never getting a Nintendo Gamecube' - in that style, (odd example, I know), show us, either through how they talk, and then some actions taken by them backing up that personality - and then maybe show a flashback 'explaining' why the character is like that.
That's only if you haven't established the characters already however...

If you want a bio sepearated from the story itself (not required if the characters are described and protrayed well in the story, unless you want one for the heck of it), I'd suggest doing it in a spoiler, and adding characters as you add them to the story in sepearte spoilers. I wouldn't put the bio straight in the story, unless it is well incoroprated into the storyline (i.e. fits in and makes sense to the plot, doesn't seem random info), and isn't 'listy'.

Hrmmm. What's a realistic punishment from the police to someone who has attacked a gym leader?
Griff, this could be a question for you ;)
If it was only a few punches, I wouldn't say too much - anything from a few days to a year in jail terms, depending on injuries, or just a fine and/or even community service, but again it depends on the circumstances. How much damage was dealt? Was the person aggrrivated? Was the Gym Leader at fault here? (e.g. did he/she threaten the attacker?) Look at those things as well - personally, I wouldn't ahve the gYm Leader more improtanty than anyone else to get the attacker a harsher sentence, leastways how I see the Pokemon wrold as protrayed...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
That may also depend on the level of involvement the police have in your world. In the games and on the show, the police seem to have very little response force.

And what's going on, too? Did the GL incite it? Did the person just walk up to the GL and start smackin' them around?

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Griff, this could be a question for you ;)

Actually, the reason she asked is because Diamondpearl is the one who I'm co-writing the said-chapter with. She suggested she'd ask since we're both a bit stuck on it.

As you remember from the chapter, just a bloody nose and lip was the result. The person was aggrevated at the GL and the gym leader was at fault here (although the police don't know that.)

That may also depend on the level of involvement the police have in your world. In the games and on the show, the police seem to have very little response force.

And what's going on, too? Did the GL incite it? Did the person just walk up to the GL and start smackin' them around?

The police have pretty good response force- a realistic amount.

The GL was essentially capturing his pokemon (who is technically a convict) but the trainer wouldn't let him and was driven over the edge after a few insults. There was some animosity between the two characters earlier as well. So the GL technically incited it, but, like I said, the police don't know that.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd suppose then that - for now - they would put in in jail for a few days, or at least overnight, run a criminal record check on him, and then take him to the jury - if the Pokemon world is run like the real world. If the Police force have a 'good response', I'd assume that they would hear all sides of the story beforehand as well, and the Gym Leader trying to take his Pokemon - even if it had done those things - wouldn't look good from any angle. Both could even end up with a sentence.

I'd say, given what happened, something 'mild - if he actually does get a sentence, and it is enforced in the story, I'd say a few weeks jail at the absolute max, (though that's borderline), maybe a week and a fine? And then he might be let off with a warning, if the police view the Gym Leader's actions as foolhardy, and that he was not at fault directly, and had been angered... that may not happen stright off though, so I'd expect him to have at least a night in jail, or afternoon, whatever. Although in my guessing of what happens in your fic, it may not quite eventuate. ;)

+Mizuki Hime+

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
It's hard to 'accidentially' if you don't try to plagerise. If you want to start writing a fic but don't know what to write, start brainstorming! Jot down some 'ideas' for what kind of fics you want to write (One-shot, chaptered, Journey, Shipping, etc), and then start throwing some ideas around in your head for characters, story ideas, etc. If you like some otherfics and are worried about copying them 'accidentially' - just try to think up some original ideas fo your own. The easy way to avoid it is to use a different style of writing I suppose...

Just slowly come up with your own ideas, and watch them slowly turn into a story of your own. There are many other ways of coming up with an original story I suppose as well.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Do you mean their style of writing or their ideas?

It is tough not to imitate ideas/style of those you admire (imitation IS the highest form of flattery, isn't it?) If I ever have unchangable trouble with this, I add my own twist on it and try to incorpoarate it directly to the character developement/plot/themes.

Bent Helix

What about gift pokemon? I've noticed that some anime characters don't have regular starters and they where given to them by a parent (Brock comes to mind). But using them in fan fiction is bad, right? Why should some generic character give anyone a free pokemon, and then fall into a plot-hole because they had no other purpose? Right?

BladedScizor

What do people here think of Pokemon X Pokemon relationships? Are they as hated as much as Human X Pokemon?

I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't recall hearing anything about anyone else having problems with it either. Just be careful which types of Pokemon you're trying to match up.

I'm going to assume you're talking about writing style here, as it would be kinda difficult to 'accidentally' copy someone's ideas if you've read their works.

Anyway, my honest answer is to not worry about it too much. If you're just starting writing(or writing something your previous experience doesn't apply to), then most likely you're going to draw from works you've read and liked. As you write more and gain experience, though, you'll end up working out your own way of doing things and develop a style all your own.

Not necessarily, it just means that they fall into the category of 'there are ways to do it right, and there are ways to do it horribly wrong'. Making use of Pokemon given as gifts isn't a bad thing in fics, you just have to make sure to avoid the pitfalls.

I think it would even be acceptable for a character to exist for the sole purpose of giving a Pokemon to the character in question, but it would be a good idea to give information on who the person is and why they would just give someone a free Pokemon. For example, the giver might see that the givee has some special skill or trait that would be useful in raising the Pokemon in question, so the Pokemon would be better off in the givee's care.

It's not so much a matter of whether some concepts in writing Pokemon fanfiction are acceptable, it's whether you're capable of making it work well.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
BladedScizor's response is basically right - it's not a cliche, unless you make it one. Good backing up of both the giver, and reciever and why it is done, when, etc will erdicate that problem. It's acceptable if written well - otherwise you fic may lose readers.

One such situation done well in a fanfic is Duckie's 'Vivid Rain' fic - the main character gets an egg from a friend as his second 'Pokemon' - in that story it's backed up well with a good reason. The main character does have an Eevee starter, but the manner in which he got it (which I haven't yet seen anyone else do, and make sense too), and how the fic has progressed has wiped out any cliched'ness of such a Pokemon. SAo it's all a manner on how the person gets the 'gift' Pokemon.

Bent Helix

I see. I was rather frightened that gift pokemon would quickly be written off as lazy writing. Thanks for the advice!