• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Farewell, Ash-Greninja! Xerosic Strikes Back!! (942)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, his hidden power as the CHOSEN ONE from the beginning in a story about a random Ash-looking Greninja saving a ninja village (called NINJA VILLAGE) in the distant past was also extremely random and weird.

You know, the anime never did explain in Ash's Greninja had any connection to the Ninja Village's hero Greninja. There were vague hints, but that was about it. I expected that to be elaborated upon, but it wasn't. It's almost as if the writers forgot about the hero Greninja.

The dubbers looked at Charizard and Goodra and were like "**** that, we know he's coming back."

I suppose that was all the excuse the dubbers needed to not bother putting any emotional effort into that scene, eh? -_-

Navin

MALDREAD
Apparently, that was the magic of Mega Evolution energy, implied Zygarde radiation that happened to assimilate Chespie into it and give it a not-so perfect form, and a LEGENDARY GIANT ROCK mixing together. I could theorize merging with the Sundial would have made it a Perfect Zygarde that would blow up and destroy the world. (No, seriously. It was shown the world would be destroyed that way).

Basically a lot of mumbo-jumbo combined with some Chosen One prophecy to give us an EPIC finale.

I suppose that was all the excuse the dubbers needed to not bother putting any emotional effort into that scene, eh? -_-

They should have just had him say, "K I'll see you back at Oak's when you're done!"

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
This was a totally pointless release in my opinion. Why release a Pokemon which has such a strong bond with Ash. The Ash-Greninja transformation was a reflection of the bond. It was Bond Phenomenon, a transformation which activates once in hundreds of years when the bond and trust between a Pokemon are absolutely at its peak. Ash and Greninja's body and mind were synched together, they shared each other's vision, each other's pain, they truly became one. Why part ways with a Pokemon with whom you have practically become one with? Why writers why? I hope Greninja comes back in SM, otherwise I would personally consider this as the most pointless release of the entire Anime.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
That was the most randomnest release I've ever seen. It came out of nowhere, but then again...

Z-2: I don't know how you got that power.

Ash-Greninja's entire existence in a nutshell. He just appeared to defend a NINJA VILLAGE but we don't know how or who it was from (why not just say it was from a descendant that looked like Ash and get it over with?), this Greninja is special but we don't know why it came to be that way, it can exponentially make orange shurikens but we really don't know why outside of hype reasons. All we know is that he's pretty convenient to have around to fight these magnificent unbelievable threats that would otherwise snap everyone in two!

How funny. We do get to see a small clip of Ash-Greninja wrecking SSS's Sceptile, but there is absolutely no clip of any fights against Alain.

Last edited:

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
The whole Ash-Greninja storyline has been pretty bizarre ever since. Maybe just maybe it would've been different if it was Lucario Ash had with a special bond. Would've been an ode to Movie 8, but the animators just didn't want to go that route. Oh well. Can't change the past.

This whole saga in a nutshell was overly dramatic and emotional with bad dubbing most of the time.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I liked that episode. While I do wish we had actually gotten an explanation of what Ash-Greninja was, the episode was still a pretty good send-off for it. I like how it also served as a way to wrap up the entire XYZ arc. I do have one question though. I'm assuming that Greninja's ability to see this negative energy comes from its Ash-Greninja form, so how would it possibly access this ability without Ash? Either it can transform without Ash, which defeat the purpose of the Ash-Greninja, or the ability is something it can access without first transforming, which would just be odd.

By the way, Xerosic's Malamar reminded me that we never got a conclusion to that one evil Malamar's arc. It's still out there somewhere, plotting to take over the world. That's disappointing, as I was enjoying that arc.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I do have one question though. I'm assuming that Greninja's ability to see this negative energy comes from its Ash-Greninja form, so how would it possibly access this ability without Ash? Either it can transform without Ash, which defeat the purpose of the Ash-Greninja, or the ability is something it can access without first transforming, which would just be odd.

I think being able to see the negative energy within the vines is just an ability Greninja itself has, and it's not related to the Ash-Greninja form. Remember, it sensed the negative energy from within its Pokéball, which is why it emerged in the first place. It transformed into its Ash-Greninja form so it could share what it was seeing with Ash, but the form isn't needed to sense/see the negative energy.

The whole Ash-Greninja storyline has been pretty bizarre ever since. Maybe just maybe it would've been different if it was Lucario Ash had with a special bond. Would've been an ode to Movie 8, but the animators just didn't want to go that route. Oh well. Can't change the past.

I would've loved that so much. Lucario isn't my favourite Pokemon, but it's a pretty damn cool one, and I really enjoyed the concept of aura, and they gave out a Lucario to the main protag in game. So why not give one to Ash already? It could be his Mega Pokemon too, which would remove the need for super-confusing lore (if there was even any lore with Ash-Greninja to begin with), because the lore was already explained in the games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think being able to see the negative energy within the vines is just an ability Greninja itself has, and it's not related to the Ash-Greninja form. Remember, it sensed the negative energy from within its Pokéball, which is why it emerged in the first place. It transformed into its Ash-Greninja form so it could share what it was seeing with Ash, but the form isn't needed to sense/see the negative energy.

I suppose so. It's a little odd if that is the case though, just because Squishy emphasized that it was special characteristic of this specific Greninja, heavily inferring that it's tied into its Ash-Greninja form.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I would've loved that so much. Lucario isn't my favourite Pokemon, but it's a pretty damn cool one, and I really enjoyed the concept of aura, and they gave out a Lucario to the main protag in game. So why not give one to Ash already? It could be his Mega Pokemon too, which would remove the need for super-confusing lore (if there was even any lore with Ash-Greninja to begin with), because the lore was already explained in the games.

Because that would mean utterly overshadowing every other Pokemon Ash has, overshadow official in-game trainers with them and prevent the writers from making "good" arcs with them, and not to mention use heavy continuity. (Train my Lucario like you did yours? Incredible they never thought of this route, but alas, either the owners are inexperienced girls with personal issues, guys WAY beyond Ash's attributes, or...utter morons?) It probably wouldn't have been farfetched to think Ash could have had a Lucario as his Sinnoh ace, but Paul's abused Chimchar took priority... In fact, the thing is, Lucario is ace material, and Ash's ace slot is always occupied by the starter (the mess in Unova only meant they had to have him recall Charizard as the starters he had were pathetic).

Lucario is to Ash what every other heavily bonded Dragon-type Iris never manages to catch. Massively wasted opportunities not being exploited right.

As long as Ash has one ace, that ace is hogging all the spotlight. The writers can't do two aces in one trainer. They're pretty incapable. This is the main reason why no one cares much about everyone else in Ash's Kalos team besides Greninja despite how he constantly tries to remind everyone he cares for everyone a lot.

Last edited:

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
More goodbyes, oh no :(

So the episode itself was mainly about Xerosic and his silly plan to make Neo Team Flare but all it took was an invention the size of a penny to take him down, hehe. Maybe one day he will learn that he will never be like Clemont.

It lead up to two goodbyes but it was a shame that it was basically tacked onto the end of the episode. Ash will miss Greninja but ultimately he knows Greninja is needed in Kalos and hopefully they will meet again to win a league! (Sorry getting carried away). Also, it's so sad to see Bonnie sad and to make her say goodbye to Squishy again it was just too cruel.

Good episode, onto the next one!

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode, but really sad to have goodbyes, but it had to happen. Best of luck to Greninja and Goodra. And Xerosic will likely have learned his lesson.

I think that Greninja will express dismay because it failed to both rescue Squishy and Z2 and protect Kalos from Neo Team Flare. So, that Greninja was banished to the time past with a time machine by Neo-Team Flare Mastermind Xerosic, being nowhere to be seen as Greninja's defeat. Do you think so?

Pikachu52

While I do wish we had actually gotten an explanation of what Ash-Greninja was, the episode was still a pretty good send-off for it. I like how it also served as a way to wrap up the entire XYZ arc.

It sort of lived up to a fear I had for the XYZ arch that Ash-Greninja would be a substitute mega to make up for the fact Ash didn't end up using a Mega evolving Pokémon at the league. There's a lot of things I liked about the concept, namely the Ash's ability to feel what Greninja feels. Yet I don't think it really lived up to it's potential. You're right it that it was never really explained what the bond phenomenon was, or why it was unique to Greninja. Why didn't Pikachu have a bond phenomena.

On top of that I again have to question why the writers didn't just bring back one of Ash's older Pokémon who can mega evolve. Now I've seen how the arch ends, I wonder if the plot would have benefitted from leaving both Alain and Sawyer altogether in favour of Ash using Mega Charizard and Mega Sceptile. Sawyer's only appearances in the series were related to battling Ash, it was always difficult to believe a novice could progress both to using mega evolution and top 4 of the Kalos league and he didn't feature much once the league had ended. He wasn't necessary as a rival - Ash could have fought Trevor or Tierno. Alain started out well but his character faulted when he was so easily pardoned for his involvement in Team Flare it was irritating and he didn't do anything at the end of the arch Ash couldn't have done alone or with another cast member.

Reflecting, I think it would have been better if they'd stuck to the Team Flare plot from the games or manga.

I'm assuming that Greninja's ability to see this negative energy comes from its Ash-Greninja form, so how would it possibly access this ability without Ash? Either it can transform without Ash, which defeat the purpose of the Ash-Greninja, or the ability is something it can access without first transforming, which would just be odd.

The negative energy is XYZ's answer to Tobias. An unexplained randomly inserted plot device designed to get Greninja off Ash's team.

There are so many better ways they could have found to secure the release of Greninja.

Last edited:
Hello? Won't anybody respond to me please? I think that Greninja will express dismay because it failed to both rescue Squishy and Z2 and protect Kalos from Neo Team Flare, so that Greninja was banished to the time past with a time machine by Neo-Team Flare Mastermind Xerosic, being nowhere to be seen as its defeat. Do you think so?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hello? Won't anybody respond to me please? I think that Greninja will express dismay because it failed to both rescue Squishy and Z2 and protect Kalos from Neo Team Flare, so that Greninja was banished to the time past with a time machine by Neo-Team Flare Mastermind Xerosic, being nowhere to be seen as its defeat. Do you think so?

I think nobody is answering because of how...

Eh...

Well...

Yeah.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
So, no reference to when Clemont was hypnotizes by the wild Malamar? Or was that what he meant when he said it happened before? If that's not the case, then I think that was kinda poor writing, but if it was the case, Clemont then was already prepared,.
Hey Bonnie & Serena this time went No, we are coming with you instead of staying behind, yay!
That's it, Xerosic or whatever barely did a thing, and was basically a waste, what was he planning to do anyways? Lysandre is dead, neither Alain or Malva seem to be working for Flare anymore, and the rest of the Flare members are gone, did he really think only he could restart everything? And now he's just in jail mhm okay.
Deep roots? So the Pokemon World has a old God living inside it? Sounds a bit deep (It's a joke)
I get the "reasoning" they wanted Greninja to stay.. But I don't know, it seems pointless, not that it mattered he still be oaked anyways. It's just Zygarde is a legendary, why not just let them deal with it.
Guess Greninja didn't show much emotions because that's how it's supposed to be, and I am sure Ash can always call upon Greninja, something tells me it's not the last we will ever see of him.

Oh Bonnie.. You are going to be one damn dangerous trainer aren't you? Just imagine her pairing back up with Squishy and Dedenne once she turns 10, she probably catch a Tyrant too. I would like to see a short spinoff that really, she did kinda turn interesting by the end imo, hell pair her up with Max somehow (Max comes to Kalos for his first journey because he already did Hoenn with May and Ash).
Bonnie is going to be the Darkrai trainer in the last league I bet, it would be funny if Bonnie showed up two leagues later and Ash is dominated by her and Squishy with all of it's forms.

MiloticTwins

Greninja's lost Ash-Greninja form for good?

Do you think that Greninja has lost its ability to transform into its Ash-Greninja form for good once Ash has released it?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Do you think that Greninja has lost its ability to transform into its Ash-Greninja form for good once Ash has released it?
No, it has been never told as such. When Ash released Greninja, it was already in the Ash-Greninja form.