• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Farewell, Sophocles! (969)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Farewell, Sophocles!

Sophocles has overheard his parents seeking advice about moving and that means that Sophocles would have to leave the Pokémon School. Feeling down due to this, Ash & co. find out that he's moving and decide to throw a party for him. Will it cheer him up or is this an entirely big misunderstanding?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
As if Snowbelle City (the song from Litten and Stoutland) is playing xD

Cry errytime though

Oh look we went to Akala, people can stop b****ing about it

As a surprise to everyone here, he's moving down the road.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Kinda annoyed me that he wouldn't just tell everyone that he wasn't leaving, even more so that Lana twigged something was up before he found out he was moving down the road.

Charjabug is pretty cool.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
So how did the episode end? Found it a bit difficult to understand as I don't know Japanese.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Basically took advantage of all this free stuff before telling everyone he wasn't leaving.

I say that but then I just realised that Sophocles is meant to have insecurities so...yeah, Idk how I feel about it now.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Basically took advantage of all this free stuff before telling everyone he wasn't leaving.

I see. Truly, Sophocles is one of a kind!

Everything12

The episode was entertaining, I enjoyed how it showed the interactions between Sophocles and his classmates which worked really well in showing their bond, I also liked the capture of Charjabug while it wasn't very long the battle did wonders in showing Togedemaru and Sophocles aren't useless and can actually battle, and I just love the animation that scene with the Wailord was beautiful. I do think that it does have a bad point in that the moving was only a few houses away and that kinda sapped away some of the emotion, though they did work that into a plot with Sophocles worrying has his friends would think of it after he said he was leaving and then wouldn't after taken all the free stuff. 6/10

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
The episode was entertaining, I enjoyed how it showed the interactions between Sophocles and his classmates which worked really well in showing their bond, I also liked the capture of Charjabug while it wasn't very long the battle did wonders in showing Togedemaru and Sophocles aren't useless and can actually battle, and I just love the animation that scene with the Wailord was beautiful. I do think that it does have a bad point in that the moving was only a few houses away and that kinda sapped away some of the emotion, though they did work that into a plot with Sophocles worrying has his friends would think of it after he said he was leaving and then wouldn't after giving all the free stuff. 6/10

Really seeing a Walord Brenching and Kaiwa taking him somewhere speacial was really taking things. It something that you then take. The only thing that was given to him was Charugbug and the flowers

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Sophocles fake tears really pissed me off! All of the emotional scenes in the episode became untrue because of Sophocles' mischievous act of hiding the fact till the end that he wasn't leaving! Quite a disappointing episode for me, despite a new Pokemon joining the cast! 3/10.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So, the OP in a way turned out to be true i guess with regards to Ash capturing a Grubbin.
Only the difference was that what he got was its evo (aka., Charjabug), and the capture wasn't a pokeball based, but a literal capture by hand and then gifting it.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
So, the OP in a way turned out to be true i guess with regards to Ash capturing a Grubbin.
Only the difference was that what he got was its evo (aka., Charjabug), and the capture wasn't a pokeball based, but a literal capture by hand and then gifting it.

Still, it's not Grubbin, it's its evolved form. If Ash caught the Charjabug as a Grubbin then we could have said that the opening turned out to be true. The scene in the opening possibly refers to Ash's failed capture in SM004.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
They better change the intro soon, lest we be reminded that Ash did have the Grubbin family, albeit for a second.

Also a perfect time to bring Gladion into the OP but eh, if it didn't happen for Steenee, Mareanie or Shiron then it ain't happening for Gladion lol

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
They better change the intro soon, lest we be reminded that Ash did have the Grubbin family, albeit for a second.

Also a perfect time to bring Gladion into the OP but eh, if it didn't happen for Steenee, Mareanie or Shiron then it ain't happening for Gladion lol

Ash never officially owned the Grubbin family, even for a second. That can't happen y'know. Pikachu has to be the only Electric type! :D

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
See, guys? The opening didn't lie.

Ash actually caught a Grubbin...'s evolution....for Sophocles.

So it's sort of technically but not really accurate!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Honestly, I lost some respect for Sophocles after this episode. I can understand his reasons for not saying that he isn't moving since it works with his character, but he still seemed to take it too far due to how he waited to tell everyone the truth. If anything, he should've had the courage to tell everyone before he caught Charjabug since we saw what Ash went through to get it and it would give Sophocles some development since he realized what his friends went through for him. He'd then feel that he couldn't keep up the act anymore and finally tell everyone the truth . He still would've caught Charjabug anyway since the others would forgive him and insist that he'd still get it, but it would've made the ending of the episode a lot better

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
See, guys? The opening didn't lie.

Ash actually caught a Grubbin...'s evolution....for Sophocles.

So it's sort of technically but not really accurate!

But then again, it's not Grubbin, it's its evolved form Charjabug. A Charjabug can never become a Grubbin again. :p

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
pretty good episode. i liked the scenes where each classmate expressed their feeling towards sophocles (especially the kiawe one). also nice for one of ash's friends to finally get another pokemon.

and personally i don't really care that he waited until the end to tell them since nobody was mad anyways; they actually reacted the opposite of what he thought was gonna happen.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I really enjoyed this episode actually, it had a lot of heart-felt moments towards Soph. I can understand that after seeing his friends do all this stuff, and go to the trouble of wanting to throw a party and what not, that it'd be hard to tell them right away "SO guys I just found out I'm not actually moving, i was wrong" if you suffer from a sort of anxiety like Soph clearly does. Really happy that Grubbin's line made it into the main cast without being under Ash's control, personally I didn't want it on his team but it wouldn't have been a bad thing either!

The cutest scene was when Togedemaru was crying and all the pokemon looked so worried, especially Steenee, so cute.