• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Farewell, Sophocles! (969)

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
I think people are misunderstanding Sophocles' intentions. He thought he and his family we're moving further away, but it turns they were staying on the island. So after mulling things over, thinking about how his friends would negatively respond to the truth, he wasn't sure how to tell them.

That's a perfectly normal perception, especially with how he was treated following the time he had given the news of him moving to his friends. Frankly, I'm upset that everyone seems to hate on him just because his character hasn't been as developed as the rest of the group's. We've seen more episodes with him as a focus over other characters like Lana and Mallow, yet they're loved more.

In the end, I liked this episode. Plus, Sophocles is the first character aside from Ash and Kiawe to have a second Pokémon on his roster! Let's just hope Charjabug isn't shafted later on...

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I'm sorry but I found this episode to be really meh. I always knew that Sophocles wasn't moving, but the way it was shown really wasn't very good. Ideally I would've liked if Sophocles genuinely thought he was leaving until the very end he learned from his parents that it was a misunderstanding. At least in that case the farewell party and everyone crying would have really been meaningful. But in this case, Sophocles knew that he wasn't leaving really early into the episode which made everyone's efforts feel pointless.

Furthermore, the dream where everyone got angry seemed like Sophocles had some uncertainties about everyone's opinion about him, but instead it was a very valid dream and showed that Sophocles knew he was taking undue advantage. I also didn't like the ending reactions of his classmates when he revealed that he wasn't leaving, no one was not even a teeny bit annoyed. Sure everyone was releved that he wasn't leaving, but to not even feel a little annoyed at him felt really unrealistic for me.

Atleast a couple of good things in this episode were that Togedemaru showed of some battling skills and we saw a bit more of Akala, with the Wela volcano Park.

So overall I'll give this episode 4/10.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I remember complaining exactly yesterday that I wanted more episodes focused on another character than Ash. This is.....spooky.

This was a good episode. SM19 winded down a bit of Sopociles' undermining presence, but now he's had a genuinely good limelight episode without Ash or TR picking up the slack.

Love Lana and Ash's reactions in the daydream (Lana's raspberry and Ash stomping off).

Love the individual gifts and Ash actually taking such elaborate measures to let Sopociles capture his own Pokemon. It would be poetic if that Charjabug turned out to be the Grubbin he couldn't capture earlier though.

I do admit to agreeing with the above comment that the others' reactions were a bit TOO cloying and understanding. I'd expect just one slightly playfully cynical or sarcastic remark about the whole thing.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i noticed they ended the episode with the same photo gallery format from the episode where ash catches rowlet. wonder if they'll do that with all the classmates at some point.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Sophocles sure does type fast! :D

-Different expressions for Togedemaru is a cute function.

-It got real dramatic!! O_O

-Everyone switch desks... again. Why is Pikachu in that balloon lol!

-Ahhh!! Ash and Mao chan high five'd!!! :D:D:D:D

-Wow, look at everyone's angry faces... and Ash's weird walking. O_O;;

-WAILLORD!!!!

-Ash's scenes are the best~

-Sophocles caught a Pokémon!!!!

This was a really amusing episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though Sophocles didn't leave. It reminds me of when a friend or classmate leaves, the whole class throws a party for the person and show them love and good memories before they leave. Sophocles' friends are so caring. But Sophocles barely has a character in the two focus episodes he has. I guess he's a just a normal guy and nothing more. I can't believe I was right that he was moving just around the corner. :p

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Right, so Ash has the Fire and Grass starter and now is high fiving girls

*insert SM is new DP lame comparison*

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This was an enjoyable episode. We got a little more insight into Sophocles's character--namely, that he has insecurities regarding how his friends feel about him. He wasn't even going to tell them he was moving at first. And when he found out he wasn't moving that far away, he was afraid of what his friends would think or say when they found out the truth.

I really liked everyone's gifts for him: Kiawe showing him the Wela Volcano park; Lana showing him the sunset and the Wailord breaching the water; Mallow fixing him a farewell feast; Ash catching a Charjabug for him to capture; and Lillie making him a flower necklace.

I like how Lana immediately found it suspicious that Sophocles gave everyone maps of all the ice cream, doughnut, and malasada shops in the city. Very observant, Lana. I also like how Ash immediately noticed Sophocles was out of spirits, and that he was the first one to express relief that Sophocles wasn't moving that far after all. It was just another show of his kind heart.

Sophocles fake tears really pissed me off! All of the emotional scenes in the episode became untrue because of Sophocles' mischievous act of hiding the fact till the end that he wasn't leaving! Quite a disappointing episode for me, despite a new Pokemon joining the cast! 3/10.

Those tears weren't fake. Sophocles was genuinely afraid of how his friends would react upon learning he had unintentionally lied to them about how far away he was moving. His fantasy included his friends telling him they hated him, and he kept struggling with trying to figure out how to break the news.

He actually did try to tell the others he was not moving far away or off the island, but everyone got so caught up in the farewell party, and he did, too. I do find it odd that he didn't come out with the truth before he caught Charjabug, but I think he was caught up in the moment of that, as well.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
idk if this is intentional, but the spring kiawe and sophocles visited looks very similar to a real-life spring called Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone National Park, US.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I like how Lana immediately found it suspicious that Sophocles gave everyone maps of all the ice cream, doughnut, and malasada shops in the city. Very observant, Lana. I also like how Ash immediately noticed Sophocles was out of spirits, and that he was the first one to express relief that Sophocles wasn't moving that far after all. It was just another show of his kind heart.

Well, she's supposedly the resident liar, it would be expected she can notice Sophs wasn't being that sincere. Anyway, it wasn't really Sophocles fault, at least he wasn't mean spirited.

Changing topic, are they trying to make Kiawe's lil sister into Bonnie 2.0?

Everything12

Nope I actually like Ash giving him Charjabug, it not only shows part of Ash's kind personality in which he spent time and effort getting a Pokemon and giving it to his friend but it also serves as a physical representation of Ash's bong with his classmates.

nuzamaki90

So Sophocles takes advantage of his friends and doesn't tell them until the end because he has insecurities that haven't been brought up until now..

This is why I dislike misunderstanding episodes so much. We have a character that hasn't had a single slice of development, or shown having a strong friendship with the other characters to warrant everything he got and more in this episode. If his parents would have told him in the end that they were just moving down the street, maybe I wouldn't be so harsh, but the fact that he waited so long and just took in all the stuff everyone was giving him, including the free capture, I can't get a good feeling with this episode. Just made me dislike the character even more.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
so basically after this episode, people who liked sophocles like him even more and people who hated sophocles hate him even more.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
so basically after this episode, people who liked sophocles like him even more and people who hated sophocles hate him even more.
I'm neutral when it comes to him so this made me even more neutral towards me and made me love Togedemaru even more but I really enjoyed this episode. :D