• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Farewell, Sophocles! (969)

Everything12

so basically after this episode, people who liked sophocles like him even more and people who hated sophocles hate him even more.

Was their any other outcome that was going to happen, but I was neutral about him at first but now I like him, still my least favourite SM companion though.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
OMG! Did Ash hold up a shirt that has the Flower-Power up from Mario Land????? (See pic attached)

WOW!

Ep 969.jpg

CelebiAS

Well played cliché episode.
I really like Lana.

Wondering what Lillie was saying when she started sobbing.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I can relate to this so well. You learn something horrific and your friends come out and support you, but then it turns out to be a misunderstanding and you just don't know how to tell your friends the truth so you end up playing along until the last possible second. Only difference is somehow Ash and company forgives Sophocles so blindly and treats him so well after the incident, while realistically they shouldn't be that happy and a little ticked off. Good idea, but poor execution near the end.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Well, this killed any potential Ash may of had for the Vikavolt line

Second to catch one on-screen though; Lillie didn't have any Pokemon at the beginning.
Well I meant in for the fact that Mallow and Kiawe are far more active then Sophocles, so you'd think they would get second Pokemon first

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I can relate to this so well. You learn something horrific and your friends come out and support you, but then it turns out to be a misunderstanding and you just don't know how to tell your friends the truth so you end up playing along until the last possible second. Only difference is somehow Ash and company forgives Sophocles so blindly and treats him so well after the incident, while realistically they shouldn't be that happy and a little ticked off. Good idea, but poor execution near the end.

tbh they didn't really do that much for him, Lana took him to watch a sunset/wailord, Kiawe took him to a nice volcano spot, Mallow made him a little party, things they all love to do. Ash went the farthest with giving him a pokemon, imo, and even he seemingly really enjoyed that. Also they have a new friend in charjabug. They also didn't want Soph moving, so all in all they don't have much to be mad about unless they're mad about sharing experiences with Sophocles.

Epicocity

This episode really continued to show the problem the SM anime continues to have the longer it goes on...

For one, why do they have to make Ash singled out as the ultimate idiot in all of his reactions? This isn't even showing personality at all; it's degrading him from what he was in OS. He's not "acting his age" when it comes to way he "walks off angrily"...it's just stupid. But that's a minor quibble given my thought about Ash suddenly no longer being Ash in a general sense.

My real problem is the "companions" (a word I use loosely) just being handed stuff. Mallow was given an evolution despite Bounsweet and herself not actually doing anything until the episode where she did evolve; Lillie was just given the egg because why not (admittedly, this is less of a problem considering her character), and now Sophocles was given a Charjabug...because he lied about something? Like, fine, he battled but still...He was essentially given a reward for lying. Great lesson right there. Wonder what will be handed out next...

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
idk what this whole talk about about sophocles "lying" is. he genuinely thought he was moving and told them. when he found out about the misunderstanding, he found it hard to tell them due to the fact that they were getting emotional and preparing a party for him and everything. at the end, he told them the truth.

so where did he intentionally lie?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Fail to see how he lied.

He was scared of what his friends would think of him.

I did expect some sort of playfulness that Sophocles should have just told them, maybe Dephender can explain what everyone was saying as soon as Sophocles started crying at the end.

Epicocity

idk what this whole talk about about sophocles "lying" is. he genuinely thought he was moving and told them. when he found out about the misunderstanding, he found it hard to tell them due to the fact that they were getting emotional and preparing a party for him and everything. at the end, he told them the truth.

so where did he intentionally lie?

Um...in the end, the fact that he knew the truth at any point and withheld it is intentionally lying. It's pretty much a textbook definition of it. Doesn't matter the reason why, particularly since he was reaping seeming benefits from it. It's no different than Clemont trying to divert attention from Clembot taking over his gym, which was treated as a lie there, as well. Maybe not the same magnitude but still...a lie is a lie.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
While Sophocles didn't come out with the truth, he didn't tell a lie in its place, either, so I wouldn't exactly calling that lying. Concealing the truth, yes, but not lying. And it's not as though he never tried to tell them the truth; he did. He even acknowledged that the day of the farewell party was his last chance to tell his friends the truth.

When he learned he had misunderstood about his parents moving and that they were only moving down the street, he was genuinely afraid of what his friends' reactions would be if he told them. He thought they would outright hate him for getting them all emotional "over nothing." This is a kid who clearly has some insecurities about what his friends think of him, so I totally understand why he was so nervous to tell them the truth. (Remember, he wasn't even going to tell them he was moving at first. They essentially needled it out of him.)

I do agree that the end of the episode could have been a little better executed--it would have been more realistic if Ash and the others had been at least slightly annoyed--but I think the point here is was for Sophocles to learn/realize that his friends care more about him than he thought they did.

Also, I think it's more in character for Ash to be relieved that his friend isn't moving than annoyed that he went through all the trouble of getting a farewell present "for nothing."

Nebbygetinthebag

This episode is ok through I don't like how the ending was executed it was poor but this episode is not that bad it had a lot moments such as Sophocles riding charizard with Kiawe,Sophocles and Lana went to the sea,and of course he caught a charjabug through the battle was short however the problem with this episode is the execution of the misunderstanding because Sophocles already knew that he is not leaving and he didn't tell his friends until the end episode wich is dumb the execution of misunderstanding could have been better if his parents told at the end that there not leaving but rather that there moving in to a other house but oh well.Overall this episode is ok at least Sophocles caught a Pokèmon and at least Sophocles is not useless and has character. I give it a 7/10.

Last edited:

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
This was a pretty meh episode but the moments with Sophocles' and the others were heartwarming, even if the ending was poorly done

johno1995

Ash getting Charjabug for Sophocles was a cute little surprise; speaks volumes for Ash's character. I think Charjabug will be great for Soph's development too. If you notice, it seems weak and unconfident (the Poke Problem showed it reluctant to run the wheel--I see potential for a lack of confidence arc here). This can bring out similar qualities in its trainer and we can see Soph grow through training his Pokemon. Not sure if I see them following through on this very well, but the potential's there. Cute episode.