• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Farewell to the 3DS and it's many Pokemon games (2013-2017)

Which is your favorite Pokemon 3DS game?

• X & Y

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Sun & Moon

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think it's pretty safe to say that the Sword & Shield games will put the final nail in the 3DS's coffin after reports of how the Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story remake of one of the best-selling Mario series is one of the poorest selling Mario games in history. In fact if you think about it, Nintendo kind of already is putting the 3DS to rest as most of their latest releases are nothing more than re-releases and remakes. This thread is sort of a farewell memorabilia where you guys share the many memories of your very first Pokemon 3DS game to the very last Pokemon 3DS game you've played.

BR7e144.png

Pokemon X & Y (Oct. 12th 2013)

j7xLALz.png

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (Nov. 21st 2014)

pBiWO7V.png

Pokemon Sun & Moon (Nov. 18th 2016)

83ELCSb.png

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon (Nov. 17th 2017)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Sun/Moon is my favorite game from the 3DS by a long shot. XY made a lot of visual improvements and such, but the game didn't really have much more than an Excuse Plot. With Sun/Moon, I was actually upset with the ending taking Lillie away.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I played all four of them and I say, it was a rough road.

XY wasn't that great to me... in fact it was pretty low.

ORAS let me relive my nostalgia in Hoenn and did Gen 6 more justice.

SM were good when they came out and made up for Gen6, but thanks to USUM... I don't have a reason to play SM anymore due to how incomplete those games are.

USUM gets a lot more hate than it deserves and to me, the added features made it a more complete Alola game and the story changes to me were not bad. The main story lost focus on Lillie and her family for something that was done already in pokemon, but the way things wrapped up in USUM was more complete, was more believable and to me, made up for the slightly weaker main story.

If I have to rank them.

USUM> ORAS> SM> XY

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ok so I was kind of burnt out of Pokèmon around the period between B2w2 and XY. I think B2W2 are the third best games in the franchise (only succeeded by USUM & Platnium) but something just felt off. Then I saw the XY trailer with a close friend. It wasn’t planned and we weren’t even acquainted at the time. We got hyped and bonded over it. Cheesy, ik, but this person means a lot to me.

XY are great games IMO. My favorite memories:
-I was enjoying myself experiencing Trainer customization. For once I had money to spend on something besides excessive amounts of medication for my Pokèmon.
-Most people forget this, but you could customize your menu/battle screen. I think that was dope
-The 3D wasn’t too flashy but it didn’t lack. Felt immersed in Kalos.
-I loved constructing a new team (honestly my favorite part of any Pokèmon game so this was a given)
-Great OST. Spent a lot of time adding tracks like the gym leader theme and Boutique theme to my playlist
-Rollerskates
-Seeing old Pokèmon with new models
-Getting a grasp of Fairy Types
-While I didn’t use any Megas in my initial play trough, I loved the entire premise. Especially the inbattle animation of the Trainer using the Mega Ring
-Riding on Skidoo, Rhyhorn, & Mamoswine
-Taking pictures
Probably more but XY felt like I was being introduced to Pokèmon. Reignited my passion

ORAS:
-I used Ash’s Hoenn team. Something I never do on my first run but his Hoenn Pokèmon are among my favorite in gen 3. Yes, I even used Cosplay Pikachu.
-Revisiting Hoenn was nice. Was finally able to enjoy Sky Pillar without raging lol
-I liked the improvement on the story and characters like Team Aqua/Magma and Wally. Made the game feel a good blend between refreshing amd familiar
-Arguably one of the best postgames, I enjoyed the Delta Episode. Zinnia, the climatic battle with not one, but 2 Legends, and the callback to Deoxys’s original event was a blast.

ORAS was great but definitely the weakest of the 3DS era.
Will do gen 7 later

Missingno.Fan

I have memories of being in college and being hyped for X and Y. I also have fond memories of being hyped for Sun and Moon in the summer of 2016 when I volunteered at the museum. I’m not into sequels or remakes as much.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Difficult to say, but X and Y come last in my appreciation. ORAS has the clear nostalgia appeal.

I am fearful that like with the original DS, we won't be able to access internet features come Gen 8

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Favourite games would be ORAS (mostly due to nostalgia for Hoenn) and SM for finally reliving us the burden of HMs and having a refreshing take on boss battles with the Totem Pokemon. XY sadly suffers from a lack of difficulty and unremarkable NPCs but it did introduce Trainer customisation and streamlined the process of breeding Pokémon.

calvwtdi87

1. ORAS
2. USUM
3. SM
4. XY

The 3DS was the best console for Pokémon ever. I really hope they don’t drop online support. I battle on USUM almost daily. If they add Pokémon Bank support for the Switch, I guess it’ll make everything ok. But still, it’s sad the 3DS is no more. The only game it can’t play is the original Gen 3 games, but the remakes are better anyway.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Good riddance. All 4 of the 3DS era games were incredibly mediocre. They were all extremely linear (except ORAS which was a remake), had minimal extra content, and cut corners in sooooo many ways. They feel so lazy and incomplete and I think Game Freak can do much better than this. I seriously hope things start turning around from the way these games were designed or I may be done with Pokemon for good.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Regardless of their flaws, I generally have had very good memories from each pair of these games.

XY were fantastic in introducing one of my favorite Pokémon of all time, Froakie. I am also extremely grateful that they gave us Mega Evolutions and made Aggron, my other favorite of all time, a much safer choice to bring into battles. While battling was not much of a priority to me and I had always loved Aggron ever since Ruby and Sapphire, it is still unfortunate that it has two 4x weaknesses. I loved the introduction of Amaura/Aurorus and used one on my in-game team. They will likely always be my favorite fossil Pokémon.

Since I have wanted Ruby and Sapphire remakes for a while before their release, I am forever grateful that we got them in 6th Gen. That May reveal made my eyes well up a bit to be honest. I still remember when I had gotten Alpha Sapphire from Toys R Us. I must have held it and stared at it for the whole day. I transferred IV bred and EV trained Pokémon that I had planned to use, and it’s the only game so far that I started my save file on my birthday. It’s one of my most played main series games next to Leafgreen and Pearl.

I was generally okay with 7th Gen, even though I found myself less interested in the region and the new Pokémon. I still made specific plans for my team and used all three starters for my Moon playthrough, which I had never done previously. I used a transferred team for Ultra Sun like I did with Alpha Sapphire, so that was also fun.

Oh also, my Aggron was the last Pokémon left on my team to survive against Ultra Necrozma, standing her ground and eventually defeating it on the first try :D

Here’s a photo I took of that moment for the heck of it:

Edit: Just happened to remember posting this photo months later and figured it became blurry due to Photobucket, updated with a new one:

lHDgxy6.jpg

Last edited:

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I will always be grateful to XY and ORAS for bringing me back to the franchise, after a long break.

But currently, I think all four 3DS instalments have been disappointing. They have plenty of good things about them, but also a lot of ****-ups.

The real problem for the 3DS era of Pokémon, is that the GBA era and the DS era were both a lot better. So the 3DS era looks bad in comparison.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I will always be grateful to XY and ORAS for bringing me back to the franchise, after a long break.

But currently, I think all four 3DS instalments have been disappointing. They have plenty of good things about them, but also a lot of ****-ups.

The real problem for the 3DS era of Pokémon, is that the GBA era and the DS era were both a lot better. So the 3DS era looks bad in comparison.
Not gonna lie, as much as I enjoy Alola and 3DS's Hoenn, the DS offered so much more Pokemon content through those tiny cartridges. As strange as this sounds, I think the 5th generation is currently still the best-looking Pokemon games, much better than the 3DS's games that I kind of miss the old 2D style, well 5th gen's 2D style anyway.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I honestly don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing since I disliked the 3DS generation of games more than any previous game era; I only liked ORAS, and even then it was simply because I liked Houen so much. Not that my hopes for the Switch era are exactly high after seeing how LGPE turned out, but I have to say good riddance to the 3DS.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I would say "good riddance" but the engine has been ported over to the Switch, so while the handheld is dead, its legacy unfortunately lives on.

That stretch from Platinum-HGSS-BW-BW2 is when Pokemon games peaked. I say this even as a massive gewunner who believes time is frozen for those who experienced Generation I/Generation II when they came out.

That run of games also had strong side games to compliment the main series releases. Truly an underappreciated golden age.

XY represented a huge regression in basic gameplay, story and replayability all with the excuse of "3D". GameFreak used 3D Pokemon games as an excuse to kill off Pokemon Stadium, and established a lazy culture and patronizing attitude toward players, culminating in LGPE. To think that fans of today who never got to play BW2 have no idea just how badly the rest of us have been anguished.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I honestly don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing since I disliked the 3DS generation of games more than any previous game era; I only liked ORAS, and even then it was simply because I liked Houen so much. Not that my hopes for the Switch era are exactly high after seeing how LGPE turned out, but I have to say good riddance to the 3DS.

Yeah, ORAS is mainly good because RSE were good to begin with, in terms of what ORAS itself did it felt like one step forward and two steps back just like the rest of the 3DS games. In other words, most of its merits come from their design philosophy in the GBA era and all of their flaws come from what they did in the 3DS era.

And yeah, the Switch era doesn't seem to be much better because they still don't seem to have abandoned their "we need to dumb down and sterilize everything because DEM MOBILE GAEMERZ" philosophy yet, but at least there's still time for that to change. But the 3DS era is done and they'll be forever mediocre.

M.P.

Retired
X&Y is the one I played the most, but I have to say S&M is my favorite.

SM > XY > ORAS > USUM

Zero1999

I don't have a favorite 3D's title, granted I did play Alpha Sapphire but just because i loved Hoenn in third gen, as with many games it has its ups and downs, but since 3 years ago I haven't played them much, when XY was announced around the corner back in 2013 i was excited but then after the games released, i felt very "meh" towards them, i don't feel very attached to them

So no, I didn't enjoy much the 6th and 7th generation of Pokemon games.