• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fat People

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
I was just on DeviantArt and I saw a thread bashing fat people. There was a link to the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance website. Then came the hate. Personally I don't see why people care if others are fat. It's not any of their business and to hate someone because of it is just stupid. It's like smoking. It's unhealthy but there's no reason to hate someone because of it plus, there's no such thing as second hand obesity. Some people are genetically predisposed to have lower metabolisms or hormonal imbalances and such so it may not even be their fault. Sure, there are a lot of people who just lead an unhealthy life style but why discriminate against them like they're bad people because of it?

TL;DR= People hate fat people for no good reason.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

No more massacres.
I was just on DeviantArt and I saw a thread bashing fat people. There was a link to the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance website. Then came the hate. Personally I don't see why people care if others are fat. It's not any of their business and to hate someone because of it is just stupid. It's like smoking. It's unhealthy but there's no reason to hate someone because of it plus, there's no such thing as second hand obesity. Some people are genetically predisposed to have lower metabolisms or hormonal imbalances and such so it may not even be their fault. Sure, there are a lot of people who just lead an unhealthy life style but why discriminate against them like they're bad people because of it?

Yes, I saw that thread too. First, don't take threads in the Complaints section too seriously. They're mostly rants. Hell, don't take dA seriously at all. Second, obesity can affect people around you, (and even the economy), such as children of obese parents. Yes, hating isn't the right answer, but most of the time it is because of the person/people around the person, not genetics.

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
Yes, I saw that thread too. First, don't take threads in the Complaints section too seriously. They're mostly rants. Hell, don't take dA seriously at all. Second, obesity can affect people around you, (and even the economy), such as children of obese parents. Yes, hating isn't the right answer, but most of the time it is because of the person/people around the person, not genetics.

Complaints is easily the worst aspect of DeviantArt. Don't even get me started on how they all think that rape is acceptable.

Thanks for the link. But I'm wondering how they know all those sick days are related to obesity. People can technically be "obese" at 190 lbs. You make a good point about parents not feeding their children properly but again, that's not the kid's fault and they're going to fall victim to bullying because of it.

Everyone has been talked about at some point. It's life, deal with it.

So let's all be racist too? Or discriminate in other ways?

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
Thank you for taking it out of context. Point still stands, if you're gonna be fat either lose weight or deal with it. And yes, the majority of fat people can lose weight.

So what if they CAN lose weight? Maybe some people are happier with themselves being a little overweight. Just because people are intolerant of fat people now doesn't mean that it always has to be that way.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
In general, fat people have faster metabolisms than skinny people. The body is larger, so the body needs more food than a skinny person and it needs to break it down faster to power the body. People just assume fat people have slower metabolisms because of predispositions to associate fat with being lethargic, slothful, and lazy. Thank you for bringing the inaccurate bias into your own thread attempting to defend fat people.

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
In general, fat people have faster metabolisms than skinny people. The body is larger, so the body needs more food than a skinny person and it needs to break it down faster to power the body. People just assume fat people have slower metabolisms because of predispositions to associate fat with being lethargic, slothful, and lazy. Thank you for bringing the inaccurate bias into your own thread attempting to defend fat people.

I said SOME not all.

Krick88

TL;DR= People hate fat people for no good reason.

I have not seen the thread, so I cannot speculate as to what counts as hatred or personal belief. However from a pre-medical and exercise science point of view, I can say that it is almost heartbreaking to see people that are highly overweight for a number of reasons.

As you stated, some people are predisposed to some hormonal imbalances. In this case, I would be heart broken because I find it painful to see an individual in poor health when it is not their own fault. I relate to patients who seem to have bad luck and share my sympathy with them as I know what they're going through because of weird and random health issues of my own.

Some people may also inherently possess lower metabolisms. This can be fixed with a number of medications. For those that do have the financial stability to afford these medications there are numerous steps that you can take to raise your metabolism. Your body is constantly trying to maintain conditions that are consistent with its environment (this is better known as homeostasis). When you're used to eating one massive meal a day, your metabolism hits a standstill. It is only working at it's peak at one period of this day and then shuts down. This can lead to copious amounts of unhealthy weight gain. One way to speed up your metabolism is to consume approximately 5 smaller meals a day at strategic intervals. By consuming healthy foods over the whole day, you're metabolism is constantly at work to break the nutrients down. Doing physical activity such as weight lifting and cardiovascular activity raises your heart rate, which will increase your metabolism and burn calories. In my opinion, the patients in this category have almost no excuse for their obesity.

I find myself to be highly disapointed in those that quite literally have no excuse to be overweight. My father for example was a lean and extremely fit 130lb young man when he graduated high school. Old age has a bit to do with it as his metabolism naturally slowed down, however due to lack of exercise and an extremely poor diet, he is now well over 200lbs.

I myself would never hate someone for being overweight. In fact, I would say in most cases, it is near impossible for a human being to hate another due to their body weight and appearance, with some few exceptions. But due to my interest in health, I cannot help but pass judgement on the people that are not proactive. Possibly the bashing you encountered in this thread was more of this nature and not of hatred. Or, possibly it was someone criticizing themselves for being overweight.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Thank you for taking it out of context. Point still stands, if you're gonna be fat either lose weight or deal with it. And yes, the majority of fat people can lose weight.

I am with Jb08045 with this.

Unlike racism or disability discrimination being fat that people chose to be and if they don't like being called fat then guess they can go on a diet and lose that blubber. Sure it is hard work but it will pay off in the end.

The reason why people don't like fat people is because they eat lots of fatty food and are far to lazy to lose that weight.

Bottom lines is don't like being called fat then lose some weight or put up with it.

Krick88

@Krick88
Believe me it was hate and mockery Here's the thread if you want to read it. http://forum.deviantart.com/community/complaints/1692047/

@metagrody6
Sadly that's true that people are nicer to those they find more attractive.

@blaze boy
I don't think they have a problem with being called fat as much as the stigmas associated with it.

Ah, I see. Yes, it is blatant hatred. Unfortunately, their hatred has resulted from false information. Yes, there are genes powerful enough to inhibit people from losing weight. Many have glandular problems and not every person can effectively lose weight. Each human body is different, and we all experience different stressors.

However, the poster is correct in saying that some people will abuse the organization because they're plain too lazy. But it is false to assume that ALL fat people are this way.

Honestly this person is completely ignorant for thinking that genes have nothing to do with it whatsoever. Those nitrogenous bases contain all the information we live off of and how we develop. To a "T". Any deviation in the genes causes a difference in appearance, structure, or functionality. This is the basis for evolution.

Last edited:
I am with Jb08045 with this.

Unlike racism or disability discrimination being fat that people chose to be and if they don't like being called fat then guess they can go on a diet and lose that blubber. Sure it is hard work but it will pay off in the end.

The reason why people don't like fat people is because they eat lots of fatty food and are far to lazy to lose that weight.

Bottom lines is don't like being called fat then lose some weight or put up with it.

Black people can also bleach themselves like Michael Jackson did. Therefore prejudice against them is fine, just like with fat people who choose to be fat. There just couldn't be any genetic factors that made them that way? Ever saw an elephant go on a diet?
Let's try to be more reasonable here.