• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Character Thread

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Original Series
*HUMANS*
-Ash
-Brock
-Misty
-Gary
-Jessie
-James
-Sabrina

*POKEMON*
-Ash's Charizard
-Ash's Bulbasaur
-Ash's Squirtle
-Ash's Snorlax
-Gary's Blastoise
-Harrison's Blaziken
-Meowth

-------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Generation
*HUMANS*
-Ash
-Drew
-Harley
-Brandon
-Juan
-Brawly
-Flannery
-Anabel

*POKEMON*
-Ash's Sceptile
-Ash's Swellow
-Ash's Glalie

Diamond & Pearl
*HUMANS*
-Paul
-Hunter J
-Barry
-Reggie
-Gardenia
-Volkner
-Bertha

*POKEMON*
-Paul's Electivire
-Paul's Torterra
-Paul's Ursaring
-Paul's Honchkrow
-Paul's Magmortar
-Paul's Drapion

Best Wishes
*HUMANS*
-Georgia

*POKEMON*
-Stephan's Sawk

---------------------------------------------

XY
*HUMANS*
N/A

*POKEMON*
-Alain's Charizard

Sun & Moon
*HUMANS*
N/A

*POKEMON*
N/A

Overall
*HUMANS*
-Paul
-Ash (AG/Hoenn)
-Gary
-Drew
-Harley

*POKEMON*
-Ash's Charizard
-Paul's Electivire
-Ash's Sceptile
-Paul's Torterra
-Paul's Ursaring

Last edited:

zdbz_sn

Ash (depending on the series): The enthusiasm, the childlike optimism, the childishness of his impulsive tendencies and utter density on certain subjects, the undeserved cockiness and stumbling of the early part of the OS giving way to earned confidence and skill by the end of DP (and the OS-DP Ash does come across as one character, developed along more-or-less solid lines of plotting), his single-mindedness juxtaposed with a surprising altruism - he's a lot of fun as a character, and one with more range and depth than I think he's often credited for having. The soft reset of BW might be frustrating, and he may have been turned bland in XY/Z, but to go by the first three series, and now SM (which has also done a nice job at showing off some nice quirks of character by putting Ash in a more everyday setting), I think he's a great lead for the series.

While I'm here, I'll also mention his Pikachu (cute and sweet and loyal, though I did like his more mischievous side from the early days), his Charizard (tough guy slow to obey his Trainer may not be all that complex, but it was well-done, and besides...rockin' fire dragon), his Oshawott (cocky, lovesick, attention-seeking, slightly cowardly...and incredibly entertaining to watch, and cute as a button), and his Lycanroc (I like wolves...that's it) as favorites.

Misty: She may have been poorly served by the mid-Johto years (as was everyone in the main cast), but a lack of a series-long arc is made up for by how well-drawn her core character is. I'd still argue that Misty has the most facets to her personality of the Pokegirls (even if, again, they weren't all properly exploited), and she had fantastic chemistry with the rest of the main cast. Her bond with Ash is my favorite (even setting aside any shipping inclinations I have), but her dynamics with Brock, with Pikachu, and with her Pokemon (or, more specifically, Psyduck and Togepi) were all solid. Togepi gave her some chance to develop as a character, what was done with her story-wise always intrigued me, she's one of the only traveling companions to get a proper role in one of the films.

Her Psyduck may be my favorite Pokemon character from the anime too.

Cilan: I've joked with friends that I'll never need a self-insert OC for Pokemon fan fiction or role-play, because Cilan's already in the cast. That's more than a slight exaggeration, but I do find it very easy to relate to this guy's eccentricities, strongly-felt passions, smart dress sense, and culinary interests. His extroverted, flamboyant displays of his many interests is something I don't share with him, but it's very entertaining to watch. He also plays off well against the other members of the BW cast.

Melody/Miette: I put these two together because I find them to be very similar, and because I like them for the same reason: they're extroverted, confident, just slightly haughty, and innocently mischievous. They're great at provoking reactions from other members of the cast and interesting in their own right. I'd favor Miette more of the two, since she had a bit more time to develop, has a more striking character design, and between her design and her choices in Pokemon (a fat, pug-faced cake and the rather dark male Meowstic seem very odd picks for Pokemon Showcases, which stress traditional femininity) she has just the slightest hint of an edge IMO, a welcome change of pace for this show.

Mentions as well for M01 Mewtwo and M08 Lucario; again, very similar characters (though featured in very different stories, with development unique to each), but very well-written and exciting to watch.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Unpopular opinion: I really enjoyed Bonnie as a character and her odd connection with Pokemon.

Bonnie is a very popular character, so it's not an unpopular opinion. Sometimes in XY it felt like she was the main girl over Serena, lol

Nodame

Misty <3
I am respecting Dawn more recently. She did stand out. She takes contests to the next level; it becomes much more intense. Treating a female companion as Ash's equal was the best thing they have done for any female companion. Right now, only Dawn has that treatment. I love her bubbly personality and confidence too. Some of my favorite battles and attacking combination are by Dawn.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Bonnie and Clemont are the greatest supporting characters ever created, along with Lana. After years of the staleness of Brock in the show, the writers finally learned how to make "third wheel characters" actually interesting. Kiawe and Cilan were fine too.

Really just puts into perspective how Brock should have left by the end of AG at the latest. Or hell, even by the end of Johto, lol

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Bonnie and Clemont are the greatest supporting characters ever created, along with Lana. After years of the staleness of Brock in the show, the writers finally learned how to make "third wheel characters" actually interesting. Kiawe and Cilan were fine too.

Really just puts into perspective how Brock should have left by the end of AG at the latest. Or hell, even by the end of Johto, lol

Not really, kiawe na dcilan are much better supporting characters than clemont and bonnie, while clemont was decent until his gym battle he was totally useless after that and bonnie was fine in the start but she also became annoying after some time always trying to hog the limelight and lana while she has some unique personality she also didn't get much development. Kanto brock and kanto misty were good supporting characters, though i wouldn't call them supporting since in lanto ash wasn't treated as sole main character of the show.

Kintaro

Banned
Well sure, there's always times characters get shoved into the background and don't do much, but I enjoyed their dynamics even when the eps didn't particularly focus on them. Bonnie and Clemont were fun characters and I liked how Bonnie was written as a main girl at times and had a great finale with Squishy/Zygarde. Clemont could have done more in later XY but eh...no worse than Brock shoved into the background most of the time.

I do like Kiawe and Lana in particular from SM, and Cilan had some good moments at times. Overall though the writers usually only funnel development to Ash and his female companion each series, so it's nice to see the later series change things up.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Kaiser was an interesting and entertaining cotd. I also liked his backstory with the Dratini that he met.

Another favorite cotd of mine is Giselle. I liked her personality alot and she seemed to love battling. I wish the anime had more female characters like her.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The thing I liked most about Serena is that she only ever owned mammalian Pokemon. And all of them were of species you could probably pet with no trouble. Mammalian Pokemon are superior to the rest, just as mammals are superior beings in real life.

Kintaro

Banned
From the later two gens, Bonnie/Clemont and Kiawe and Lana are among the greatest support characters ever created. Mallow also had a great backstory ep with her mother, shame she wasn't utilized more throughout the season.

SpecsTauros

Best Wishes Apologist
Burgundy my favorite little idiot grape child, my beloved chump of a fake-french daughter, she's utterly incompetent and is perfect for it.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Serena, she had the best development. (yes better than dawn).
Ash Ketchum is at 2nd.
Paul 3rd.
Alain 4th.
Brock or Dawn at 5th.

Last edited:

Peter Harrison

Dawn, she had the best development and goal.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Yeah, she set the standard as far as girls go since she was almost like a co-star and equal to Ash in terms of progression. Misty and May can't even compare.
I thought May set the standard for anime Pokegirls? Dawn is literally just a better version of May.