• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Character Thread

ULiopleurodon

Ash Ketchum
I've only watched the first season and XY so far, so forgive me if there are better, but so far I like XY Ash and Pikachu the most, along with Misty. Mewtwo and Mew from the first movie I also enjoyed. Of course, you gotta love the original season one Ash :3

Nodame

Misty <3
Misty is my all time favorite character for gazillion reasons. May is pretty high on my list as well. She's my second favorite
I like Kanto Ash and Brock. I like the original trio in general ( They had the BEST chemistry together,adding humor to the show making it enjoyable and memorable )
As for rivals I like Gary, Drew and Harley :)

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So far I'm liking Serena and Bonnie the most in the XY series. Bonnie's character is great as she really adds to the XY group's chemistry, her personality is adorable and her gag is hilarious.
Serena's character interests me alot, I'd like to see how her character is developed, how she finds a goal to follow, and how her crush on Ash will go. I also like it that she slightly looks like Dawn a little and she kind of reminds me of her a little too.

Vintrial

Whouffle.
Ash has his moments. Aldo during (pre-winning in the Orange Islands)OS and BW I didn't like him that much.

AG: May and Brandon

DP: Dawn and Barry

BW: ugh, Cilan had his funny moments.

XY: I'm liking Clemont a lot actually, might get a position for my favorite male companion and Serena has her appeal being an even more girly companion that Dawn (I'm not a big fan of tomboy's)

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Ash Ketchum

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
For me the Pokemon series has been a big part of my childhood, especially the anime. There were a lot of characters I really like and some I despise. Like with most series and games, I grew more attached to the villainous characters.

In the original series I pretty much enjoyed all of the characters. There were a couple I didn't like, including Richie, Tracey and Casey, but the majority were good. My favourites from this series are definitely the TR Trio and Wobbuffet.

When the Hoenn series started I wasn't as enthusiastic about it due to Misty leaving the cast but I quickly warmed up to May and Max. I also began to dislike Ash a bit for some reason but I still enjoyed him as a character. I was also a bit disappointed that Juan was the Sootopolis Gym Leader as Wallace was (and still is) my favourite Gym Leader. Overall though my favourites were still the TR Trio and Wobbuffet but I really liked Harley as well.

When the Battle Frontier season started I was rather heartbroken to hear that 4Kids were no longer going to be dubbing the series which made me lose interest in the anime for awhile, only really tuning in to watch episodes with some of my favourite recurring characters (in this case only Harley). Once I got used to the new VAs I went back and watched the episodes I missed. I didn't really like any of the new characters introduced except Solidad and the Frontier Brains but I wouldn't say any of them were my favourites. I also disliked Ash more towards the end of this season and I really began to dislike Pikachu too.

The Sinnoh season was a lot more exciting and enjoyable for me. I started watching it as soon as it aired in the UK and I really liked Dawn as a main character, more than I did May and Max. Still disliked Ash and Pikachu but I would sit down, without fail, to watch the new episodes when they aired. I was also really happy to hear that Wallace would be appearing even if it was just for a short story arc and was also happy to see May again. This series also introduced my all time favourite character from the series, Pokemon Hunter J. Was a bit disappointed when they "killed" her off. Despite this I still enjoyed the rest of the series.

The BW season is where the anime went completely downhill for me. The TR trio barely appeared, Wobbuffet and Brock were both gone and he and Dawn were replaced by Iris and Cilan. Cilan, I felt, was an okay main character but I just didn't grow attached to him as I had with past main characters. Iris, on the other hand, has probably become my most hated anime character. I found her really infuriating and her calling Ash a kid constantly just made me want to punch her. I felt that Trip was too similar to Paul and Bianca was just so stupid it made me rather angry as I liked her in the games. I hardly watched any of these episodes, and I don't plan to, so I don't know much about the other characters that appeared. Out of the ones I did watch the only character I liked was Morana (probably because she has a similar self-centred and arrogant attitude to some of my other favourites).

The XY series is, so far, a hundred times better than the BW series. I really like Clemont, Bonnie and Serena as main characters. I'm hoping that this series will continue to be enjoyable and not end up a train-wreck like the BW series did.

Overall my 10 favourite characters (in order) would have to be:

* Pokemon Hunter J
* Harley
* Jessie, James and Meowth (all tied)
* Wobbuffet
* Wallace
* Saturn
* Butch
* Brock

fenniken

fire master
Kanto:misty iI loved her fight throught out the saga she was proved a awesome charather
[/SIZE jotho:jimmy
dp: Ash he had the best cobos let not forget paul epic best of a rivql
e

Ash (OS)- He wasn't cool or mature: he was sincere, humble, caring, and not a jerk, even though sometimes he let his temper get the better of him. As far as I'm concerned, having more character speaks louder than being a badass anyday in my book!

Ash (AG) is my second favorite Ash, though.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Ash (OS)- He wasn't cool or mature: he was sincere, humble, caring, and not a jerk, even though sometimes he let his temper get the better of him. As far as I'm concerned, having more character speaks louder than being a badass anyday in my book!

Ash (AG) is my second favorite Ash, though.

We saw a few different traits in OS Ash to one another.o_O

It all makes sense now why we both have different tastes to one another.

I said earlier in the thread that I like sinnoh but I might go into more detail. I also like OS Ash aswell but the reason is bizarre considering I watch dub.

I like sinnoh Ash because he feels to me like a more mature version of OS Ash. My favourite traits that make Ash, Ash to me are present in both despite one being more mature than the other (also despite being 2 actors).

I've always seen Sinnoh and Hoenn Ash as more mature versions but I've always leaned on sinnoh. I think Hoenn Ash had old traits that were present in OS Ash but I didn't take much notice of those particular traits back in OS because those traits didn't interest me as much. A character can have a tonne of traits but some traits will be liked more than other traits.

To you he wasn't cool or a badass in OS. To me he was cool and a badass. That's the similarities I actually like in OS and sinnoh Ash that I find they have in common. He always acted tough in OS when he challenged people to a battle and always stood for his beliefs by really putting his thoughts forwards.=D
If he didn't he wouldn't have done all the awsome things he did. Both Ash's are also passionate about their goals and have some determination.

As for Ash being not a jerk in OS. I personally feel he was a bit of a jerk in OS because they used that for comedy relief. He insulted Misty a few times in the english version and got full in the head (bragging a few times, claiming a kid had rigged the match (the sandshrew kid), demanding a battle from Prima in a rude fashion while being full of it at the same time and getting full of it again during the grass Pokemon tournament in Johto and thinking he could win the whole thing without training and the best memorable moment was when he insulted an entire town about their perfume only to get black banned from the very gym he was supposed to challenge.XP). Plus many more crazy stunts.

I've watched OS over 100 times. His most funny and memorable moments were his jerkiest moments. He was a brat at times. A funny lovable brat.=)

Though I am glad the jerky traits tone down in later seasons. Sinnoh Ash is alot nicer and as a result is more mature which makes him somewhat different to OS Ash but still retains the coolness, passion and determination he had in OS resulting in similarities between sinnoh and OS for me.=)

I can agree on him being kind and caring alot of the time though in OS. I also agree he was a bit quick tempered and is not mature. So there are traits that I saw the same as you.=)

Though it just shows how 2 people can watch the same character and focus on different traits of said character.

Though thanks for reminding me. The last time I've talked this excitedly about OS Ash was when I was a kid.

So I guess I'll change my answer to my 2 most favourite characters are OS and DP Ash.^-^
I also liked Misty and Dawn.
season 9 and Sinnoh May and OS and Sinnoh brock.

Last edited:
We saw a few different traits in OS Ash to one another.o_O

It all makes sense now why we both have different tastes to one another.

I said earlier in the thread that I like sinnoh but I might go into more detail. I also like OS Ash aswell but the reason is bizarre considering I watch dub.

I like sinnoh Ash because he feels to me like a more mature version of OS Ash. My favourite traits that make Ash, Ash to me are present in both despite one being more mature than the other (also despite being 2 actors).

I've always seen Sinnoh and Hoenn Ash as more mature versions but I've always leaned on sinnoh. I think Hoenn Ash had old traits that were present in OS Ash but I didn't take much notice of those particular traits back in OS because those traits didn't interest me as much. A character can have a tonne of traits but some traits will be liked more than other traits.

To you he wasn't cool or a badass in OS. To me he was cool and a badass. That's the similarities I actually like in OS and sinnoh Ash that I find they have in common. He always acted tough in OS when he challenged people to a battle and always stood for his beliefs by really putting his thoughts forwards.=D
If he didn't he wouldn't have done all the awsome things he did. Both Ash's are also passionate about their goals and have some determination.

As for Ash being not a jerk in OS. I personally feel he was a bit of a jerk in OS because they used that for comedy relief. He insulted Misty a few times in the english version and got full in the head (bragging a few times, claiming a kid had rigged the match (the sandshrew kid), demanding a battle from Prima in a rude fashion while being full of it at the same time and getting full of it again during the grass Pokemon tournament in Johto and thinking he could win the whole thing without training and the best memorable moment was when he insulted an entire town about their perfume only to get black banned from the very gym he was supposed to challenge.XP). Plus many more crazy stunts.

I've watched OS over 100 times. His most funny and memorable moments were his jerkiest moments. He was a brat at times. A funny lovable brat.=)

Though I am glad the jerky traits tone down in later seasons. Sinnoh Ash is alot nicer and as a result is more mature which makes him somewhat different to OS Ash but still retains the coolness, passion and determination he had in OS resulting in similarities between sinnoh and OS for me.=)

I can agree on him being kind and caring alot of the time though in OS. I also agree he was a bit quick tempered and is not mature. So there are traits that I saw the same as you.=)

Though it just shows how 2 people can watch the same character and focus on different traits of said character.

Though thanks for reminding me. The last time I've talked this excitedly about OS Ash was when I was a kid.

So I guess I'll change my answer to my 2 most favourite characters are OS and DP Ash.^-^
I also liked Misty and Dawn.
season 9 and Sinnoh May and OS and Sinnoh brock.
To each their own-- that's what I was referring to when I said he let his temper get the better of him in terms of being bratty, but the guy was never as selfish or self-centered as he'd become...well, later on, IMO.

(On that note, I'm glad someone found him cool and badass in the OS, my friend-- most people would laugh at that claim here-- I'm not one of them, though).

See, I liked how much more caring he was despite being a little silly at times and arrogant like you said, because that caring side of him shined through-- he was willing to take hits for his PKMN even if it meant hurting himself in the process, he was willing to let himself freeze in the cold just for his Pokemon, and such. Starting from after "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snorunt!" that side of Ash began to completely disappear, and then we got the Ash who was too interested in battles for his own good-- he lost his more sympathetic side, IMO.

You can kind of see where I'm going with this, huh? I liked how immature he was myself because he acted like an actual 10 year old boy in the OS, and didn't get overglorification from nearly everyone as well! lol.

I mean, in XY002, all these people are making SUCH a big deal out of Ash attempting to get a collar off Garchomp (big deal), and then jumping off to save Pikachu-- the older Ash didn't need that crap to make him seem awesome: his character spoke louder than words from others, and even when no one else was willing to help him, he did so anyway-- that truly stood out.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
For good people Ash but only him in AG,DP and XY where he was cool. May,Max (HA! Y and X Hoenn confirmed JK) and Dawn. (Can't say anything on the trio in XY since I have only seen 2 eps so far)

As for bad guys I love Team Rocket but only began to in the last year or so. It was around the N arc. so glad we have them in XY not being serious. :) For me Team Rocket is better now compared to other series. Still rewatching older eps not sure why I was not a fan till so late.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
In terms of the Ash's:

Kanto/Orange Ash > AG Ash > DP Ash > Johto Ash > Unova Ash.

I don't know where to place XY Ash yet, we'll wait and see. I do agree that Ash has never been as entertaining as he was in Kanto/Orange again, but oh well.

For me:

Kanto/Orange Ash > AG Ash > Johto Ash > XY Ash > BW Ash = DP Ash (I hate both for different reasons, respectively).

Everlasting

Everything stays.
If we compare the different Ash, counting the XY one...

XY Ash > DP Ash = AG Ash > Kanto/Orange Island Ash > Johto Ash > Unova Ash.
Never was used to the Kanto/Orange/Johto Ash. I started to watch the anime at the very first episode of BW and watched many episodes of DP and AG, thus why they make it to my top. The XY Ash is, so far, very interesting. As for the Unova Ash, even though I liked BW a lot, he was lacking. I didn't like his outfit and I disliked almost everything he did.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Why are people saying Johto Ash over OS Ash? Was Johto it's own series? now I'm confused. All this time I thought Johto was part of the OS trilogy

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Why are people saying Johto Ash over OS Ash? Was Johto it's own series? now I'm confused. All this time I thought Johto was part of the OS trilogy

Johto is an entirely different saga, it was only before the writers got the idea to rebrand each generation as a new series.

The writing in Kanto and Johto is completely different, and Ash's Johto pokemon eventually replace his Kanto starters.

Johto is an entirely different saga, it was only before the writers got the idea to rebrand each generation as a new series.

The writing in Kanto and Johto is completely different, and Ash's Johto pokemon eventually replace his Kanto starters.

Why is Johto classified as being part of OS, then? Bulbapedia recognizes that in more ways than one, and there have been no edits to revert that.

pokemon fan 132

Why is Johto classified as being part of OS, then? Bulbapedia recognizes that in more ways than one, and there have been no edits to revert that.

Because Johto was part of Original series. First 5 pokemon seasons are put under title Pocket Monsters in Japan forming separate series than its successors.

Which makes perfect sense because we had same cast being treated as sequel to Kanto series with writers building on Ash, Brock and Misty adventure and friendship becoming more attached to each other, had several recurring characters fron Kanto(Todd, Duplica, Koga sister Aya, Ritchie, breeder Suzie to name a few making both regions connected to each other) . Even writing still contained certain level of wacky, experimental style of Kanto series filled with humor, flamboyant interactions and overall interesting interactions between cast as far as im concerned being another common link.

But for some inexplicable reason some people mistaken Johto to be separate series from Kanto and Orange.

EDIT:
On Ash behalf he was always one of my top favorite characters in pokemon anime. Since i don't separate same character as some different incarnation existing in each saga i liked him from beginning to an end dersoite some misplays and questionable moves coming from writers side as far as someone treatment goes. Because at the end of the day we are talking about same person in question. Not some alternate substitute nor none of existing main characters had such drastic change to the point of becoming unrecognizable that you might as well view him as different character in same body.

That said Ash in quite a few ways reminds me of myself in my younger childhood days. I like his stubborn, persistuous attitude never giving up no matter the odds. Bratty and impulsive side posessing naivety and laidback nature taking things easy going sometime adding to his appeal.

Accompanied with huge competitive fire, lot of emotion and devotedness in taking care of his pokemon, treating them as equals to himself working as team being willing to take hits, put his life at stake and be highly passionate and firm in his beliefs. Which makes for endearing and sympathetic character.

I only wish writers would step on ball and have his story gain some significance at this point taking character forward expanding on whole master career rather than rinse and repeat cycle he is currently stuck into not moving forward.
But other than that Ash will always have special place in my heart having many found memories of his spirited personality, kind and warm nature, many close friendships he formed and impressive pokemon. Which helped to carry out his success in passing several obstacles achieving great deal of victories and avowal for his efforts.

Last edited: