• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Character Thread

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Because Johto was part of Original series. First 5 pokemon seasons are put under title Pocket Monsters in Japan forming separate series than its successors.

Which makes perfect sense because we had same cast being treated as sequel to Kanto series with writers building on Ash, Brock and Misty adventure and friendship becoming more attached to each other, had several recurring characters fron Kanto(Todd, Duplica, Koga sister Aya, Ritchie, breeder Suzie to name a few making both regions connected to each other) . Even writing still contained certain level of wacky, experimental style of Kanto series filled with humor, flamboyant interactions and overall interesting interactions between cast as far as im concerned being another common link.

But for some inexplicable reason some people mistaken Johto to be separate series from Kanto and Orange.

EDIT:
On Ash behalf he was always one of my top favorite characters in pokemon anime. Since i don't separate same character as some different incarnation existing in each saga i liked him from beginning to an end dersoite some misplays and questionable moves coming from writers side as far as someone treatment goes. Because at the end of the day we are talking about same person in question. Not some alternate substitute nor none of existing main characters had such drastic change to the point of becoming unrecognizable that you might as well view him as different character in same body.

That said Ash in quite a few ways reminds me of myself in my younger childhood days. I like his stubborn, persistuous attitude never giving up no matter the odds. Bratty and impulsive side posessing naivety and laidback nature taking things easy going sometime adding to his appeal.

Accompanied with huge competitive fire, lot of emotion and devotedness in taking care of his pokemon, treating them as equals to himself working as team being willing to take hits, put his life at stake and be highly passionate and firm in his beliefs. Which makes for endearing and sympathetic character.

I only wish writers would step on ball and have his story gain some significance at this point taking character forward expanding on whole master career rather than rinse and repeat cycle he is currently stuck into not moving forward.
But other than that Ash will always have special place in my heart having many found memories of his spirited personality, kind and warm nature, many close friendships he formed and impressive pokemon. Which helped to carry out his success in passing several obstacles achieving great deal of victories and avowal for his efforts.

What a wonderful post especially on Ash.

That describes some of the stuff I like about Ash perfectly aswell and it actually opened my mind a bit which is what I'd been aiming for quite some time. Gives me good memories from every series made so I might start changing my favourite list with Ash and list him as one person like you have done. It's funny but I am now reminded of my most favourite trait of Ash which is present in all Ash's.=3

His self sacrificing ways to protect his Pokemon, how he forgives others and how he even helps others when they're in trouble no matter who they are (even his enemies).

He's very commendable as a character.

Wonderfully written post. I really liked it because it made me think things over.=)

I can't name a series where Ash didn't try to help or save his pokemon from trouble. Every series had something where he tried to help his Pokemon or save them and usually he risked harm to himself doing it. That trait has never changed and that's my most favourite part about him of them all. Thanks for the memories.=3

In other news I can't believe I forgot to list gary.D=
He was my first favourite character in the show.

Last edited:
Why are people saying Johto Ash over OS Ash? Was Johto it's own series? now I'm confused. All this time I thought Johto was part of the OS trilogy

kanto and jhoto= Original Series in Japan
Hoenn= completely different series in japan called Advanced Generation
Sinnoh=Diamond and Pearl
Unova=Best Wishes
Kalos= XY

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Humans[/B]
Ash
I only liked him from OS to AG. Well, where should I start? He was my cartoon crush for so long that I don't even remember when. I like his character design not in BW or XY. Sorry in BW he looks like a 5 year old with HUGE eyes. He looks more like a hipster in XY (STOP THE HIPSTERS) Anyways, he had more character development. He was funnier, sweeter, kinder, and had way more feelings back then. He actually wasn't dumb like he is now. (not meaning to be rude but that's how I feel) and he worked hard for what he wants and is just so generous. I loved Veronica Taylor also voicing him. I loved how clueless he was too.
May
May is the most sweetest and cutest character ever! She's goofy and a ditz but that's what I love about her. I like how she was afraid to reveal her true secret about Pokèmon and how she has a warm relationship with her brother Max. I love her character design and her clueless-ness. Let's not forget May's expetidion! She's pretty cool and deteremined too. Great character development also.
Misty
She's amazing. She's hot headed, and crazy at sometimes but indeed one of the most unique character on the show. Sure, she hadn't had such great character development like May and Dawn but she was neglected in the show. She had an interesting story of being a Pokèmon master (preferably water). When was the last time we had a female companion aiming for that? She has a soft side like for togepi, and a jealous side which is hilarious. She's so funny too
I also like James and Brock too, they are just hilarious.

SerenaFennekin

It's either between Serena or Misty, Serena is very fashionable, sweet and so pretty whereas Misty is very confident and really unique. I love her tomboyish personality.
I guess I can't really say much about Serena yet because we don't really know much about her from the anime to judge her. (What am I saying? My username is SerenaFennekin :p)

Sorry i'm posting on a old post, I'm a newbie!

NPT

Just a member
Kanto: Ash,Brock, Charizard, Pikachu, Duplica, Giselle.

Johto: Ash, Brock, Clair, Whitney, Casey.

Hoenn: Ash, May, Lance, Flannery, Katie, Roxanee, Sceptile, Brock, Winona, Morrison.

Sinnoh: Ash, Cynthia, Dawn, Ursula, Infernape, Gible.

Unova: Ash, Cilan, Bianca, N, Elesa, Roxie, Skyla, Cynthia, Colress, Aldith, Cedric Juniper, Alexa.

Kalos: Ash, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Viola, Alexa, Jessica.

Last edited:

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
Ash in Unova because he's funny and also likable, I just think they should focus more on his character than his interests, though.
Benny because he is AWESOME! Everything that comes out his mouth is interesting, and everything he does is awesome!
Lilia because she's not afraid to cut her friends down to size and let them know if they're being annoying, but is still very much friendly!

The Best Wishes group together are the best!

Other than the BW trio...

Lucia/Dawn (Best Wishes! only) - She was a fun character who could entertain when she wasn't whining or training, and with Lilia (Iris) around, she was twice as fun. And because she wasn't a main character in BW, she wasn't tied to Ash, which allowed her to branch out more.
Cynthia (Best Wishes! only) - Her bond with Lilia was sweet, and she's not pretentious like she was in D&P.
Georgina/Georgia - I didn't like her much at first, but as she got more fleshed out and interacted more with Lilia, she got much better!
Stefan - Another character I didn't like much at first, but in later appearances, they made him funnier and more likable.
Tramina/Burgundy - She's insane and snobby, yet hilarious at the same time! I only wish she got to beat Benny/Cilan once.
Bell/Bianca - Her one gag gets old for a bit, but I still see an entertaining character beyond that.
Team Rocket (BW - N) - They're great villains AND characters, whether serious or a mix between serious and funny.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
My top 5 favorite characters are:
Dawn-She was the most active female companion and had the best character development of all the companions imo.
Paul-Arguably the best rival of the entire anime imo.
Hunter J-She is the best villain of the entire series so far imo.
Serena-I love her design and her amourshipping plot device is slightly interesting. I wish she had better development and screen time though.
May-I liked her design and character development also. However, some of her contest wins seemed cheap imo.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
There use to be a old one of these. This one looks new. That's fine. I have new names to add to my list anyway.
Paul: He was on my old favorite list and still remains on my list. Probably the character I respect most in a show like this. He's the only trainer on this show I feel could beat a Elite Four if they were not so overpowered.
Dawn: My current fave female. Loved her storyline before they derailed it during the last half of DP. She started off strong but fell victim to the writers not going all the way with the character. Still a fave of mine.
May: I don't remember if I had May on my last list, but she's earned a spot now. She and Dawn were always neck and neck as my fave females.
Clemont: Clemont is a new addition to my favorite list. He's been great. Breaks the mold of every male sidekick before him. Clemont is the man.
Bonnie: Like her brother, she is a new addition to my favorite list. For a character who's too young for Pokemon she steals the show.

Honorable mentions go to Barry and Conway. Both use to be on my list. Conway still could make my list again, but Barry...after rewatching the DP saga, I realized I mainly loved the guy because he wasn't Brock. AG Ash also makes my honorable mentions list. The best Ash there ever was and probably the best Ash there ever will be. Serena might make my honorable mention list someday and hopefully my favorite list. I know she can do it. Lyra also gets the final honorable mention. Lyra was amazing. Wish she was a full time cast member.

Aero51XnT

Blackwing Trainer
Kanto - Gary M. Oak - Koga - The Violate Rightship Girl - The kids from the Electabuzz...Scyther feud - The little girl with Sabrina and Sabrina - Scam Guy - Safari Gun Guy - The forgotten doctor from the porygon episode
Orange - Ash
Johto - Gary M. Oak - The Jimster - The girl who likes the Jimster - Whitney
Nacho Habanero Poblano Antonio Banderas - JonTron
Hoenn - May - The magician - Flannery - Scam Guy - The One Shot characters from the banned earthquake episode - Pyramid Brain - Dark Ash
Sinnoh - Dawn - Cynthia - Candice - Ash - Flint - Volkner
Unova - *crickets*
Kalos - Clemont - Clemont's Awesome Dad - Clemont's Sister - Clemont's KEEPU's - Clemont's Robots- Grant

MattySadler

Ash has been such a big part of my life man, I love him. My favourite character without doubt. During the original series when he was just so rash, stubborn and impulsive, made a great character who just oozed personality. He would charge in head first and make mistakes, but he always wore his heart on his sleeve and was so determined with his goal. There was also a wonderful insecurity about him, worrying about how Gary was doing in comparison, etc.

I also like how Ash produces a small team of Pokemon, all quite unique, and develops them all individually, rather than just having hundreds of Pokemon. I mean, there are times when I've thought Ash should've caught a so and so, but generally I'm a big fan of his teams. Obviously, this is because the writers couldn't give adequate screen time to hundreds of his Pokemon, but I still think its worked quite well.

Unfortunately, this anime has always lacked any real timeline, so we've not seen Ash aging, learning, maturing and growing as a person, and its meant we've missed out on some potentially brilliant moments.

Tepig360

BUTTER
My favorite is really just the original ash he had very good pokemon at that time

Sephora

yes I'm back
Ash: He is the main character after all, and I have so many memories affiliated with him. He is sort of the "icon" to my childhood, so to speak.
May: Ugh, I miss her. AG was my fav generation just because of May. She was everything that made a great character: great personality, proactive, and had incredible character development.
Drew: He was the perfect rival imo. Plus he was a cutie ;)
Dawn: Her storyline arc was one of my favourites. I absolutely love how she shared the spotlight with Ash. Not to mention her great bond with her Piplup.
Serena: She is growing on me. I love her design, her sweet personality, and how she has a crush on Ash. Also, she has a Fennekin. Need I say more? she just needs more development and to be more active ugh writers
Cynthia: Badass champion with a Garchomp? Yes please!

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
My favorite Ash would be the original first Ash. Seemed to have a lot more personality & was a lot more relate-able and where his personality was show at his best (like when he and his pokemon were all freezing so he tried to get them inside of their pokeball sacrificing his own comfort & safety). Things like that make me think that I wouldn't mind being Ash's pokemon in the old series. While newer series still have him do anything for pokemon, it was never as emotional or as serious as it was in season 1. In fact, the last time I can recall Ash even letting them do what they want/need was in the D/P/Plat series with Aipom. The rest have been sent to the lab. Even if he was a bit bratty & whiny I thought the times were appropriate for what was happening and shown that not even he was this perfect/almost perfect kid who always does right.

The main girl that traveled with Ash I liked most was Dawn. At first I really didn't care for her, but re-watching the series, I found that she was pretty brave and smart. The whole thing with the Ariados, and not letting TR have Pikachu. Also all those great moves that she invented not only helped her, but some of them helped Ash in his pokemon battles.

In the current series the characters I'm loving Clemont, Bonnie, and their dad. Clemont is just so cute, and like that even though he's a bit confident he's a great gym leader & a great brother. Bonnie is just so cute and funny. His dad is so cool & caring. Can't wait to see more about him & his Blaziken.

My favorite characters of all time is original series James & Brock. James used to be funny & sometimes sweet & sympathetic. While Brock was a great guy who is responsible, smart, and funny. Sadly Brock was left with half of what he was when we last saw him & James seemed to lose all his personality once B/W series started.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I wanted to also add Harley, Drew, and Conway. They were interesting, and funny characters. They had awesome dynamics with other characters too.

chalkus

OS: Ash, Brock, Duplica, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Sabrina, Gary, Whitney
AG: Ash, Brock, Sceptile
DP: Dawn, Ash, Brock, Paul, Ursula, Nando, Cynthia, Conway, Angie, Gardenia, Maylene, Miss Senior, Cyrus, Mars, Infernape, Staraptor
BW: Iris, Georgina, Ash, Bianca
XY: Bonnie, Ash, Clemont

I wish there was a least favorite thread. I can think of a couple characters to list.

Last edited:

Murder Doll

Button Presser
AG: Ash, May, Brock
DP: Paul & Dawn
BW: Reshiram
XY: Froakie & Clemont

I'm unsure if I like XY Ash and I'm also unsure with Serena, I'll need more time to observe how they play out.

OS: Ash (my favorite character in the whole Anime), Brock, Misty, James, Jessie, Meowth, & Professor Oak
AG: Ash, May, Brock, Max, James, & Meowth
DP: Dawn
BW: Iris & Cilan
XY: Clemont & Froakie

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
OS: Ash, Brock, Duplica, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Sabrina, Gary, Whitney
AG: Ash, Brock, Sceptile
DP: Dawn, Ash, Brock, Paul, Ursula, Nando, Cynthia, Conway, Angie, Gardenia, Maylene, Miss Senior, Cyrus, Mars, Infernape, Staraptor
BW: Iris, Georgina, Ash, Bianca
XY: Bonnie, Ash, Clemont

I wish there was a least favorite thread. I can think of a couple characters to list.

There is one. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...haracters-You-Dislike&p=17132621#post17132621

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Kanto-Ash, Misty, Brock, James, Meowth, Giovanni
Orange Islands-Ash, Misty, James, Meowth
Johto-Ash, Gary
Hoenn-Ash, Brock, May near the end of the series.
BF-May, Brandon, Ash, Max
DP-Dawn, Paul, Hunter J, Conway, Ursula, Barry
BW 1-Jessie, James, Meowth, Giovanni, Pierce, Matori, Zager
BW 2-Jessie, James, Meowth, Giovanni, Zager, Matori, Dawn, Cynthia
BW 2 E N-N, Reshiram
BW 2 DA!-No one in particular.
XY-Bonnie, Clemont, Froakie