• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Character Thread

Brock - He was Ash's most reliable friend because he could clean, cook, tend to sick Pokemon, and he had a knack for falling in love with pretty girls. He was one of the best characters because he was a balance of tough and funny.

Dawn - She had a great character arc in which she competed in Contests and set out to surpass her mother and even though she never managed to do that, her character grew a lot and I thought she had a cute sounding voice.

Clemont - He had a zany personality that was a mix of nerdy and funny and his interactions with his sister were memorable. His Gym fight with Ash in Lumiose was one of the better Gyms in Kalos and I liked his Chespin too.

UDI

Orange Hero
Human characters

1- Ash but mainly DP and SM
2- Dawn
3- Brock
4- tie with Lillie and May
5- James
6- Paul
7- Kiawe
8- Clemont
9- Misty
10- Cilan

Pokemon

1- Ash's Pikachu
2 - Ash's Infernape
3- tie with Ash's Bulbasaur and Dawn's Piplup
4- Meowht
5- tie with Ash's Charizard and Sceptile
6- tie with Misty's Psyduck and Brock's Croagunk
7- Ash's Rowlet
8- Dawn's Quilava
9- Ash's Greninja
10- Jessie's Mimikyu

Cilan: Sooo hilarious and funny. He's the only person I know who would go to every single train station and collect stamps from them XD His food puns crack me up and also he's a little bit like May, sometimes it seems like he needs Ash to save him hahaha. His evaluation time is literally just him insulting people and it seems like only Iris and Burgundy get that haha. He's so arrogant and I don't think he even knows it.To be honest it's because of him I loved BW so much.

NesRemix

Bonnie and Clemont are the greatest support characters we've had after Kanto-era Brock. Kiawe is cool and I liked Cilan, but Bonnie/Clemont have the best dynamic ever.

Bonnie is one of the best written characters in the animes history. She had all the traits of Misty/May/Dawn wrapped into one character, she had tons of great and funny scenes in most episodes, great development, and of course the Tyranturum and Squishy/Zygarde finale are some of the most memorable and emotional eps in the animes entire history.

Seriously, I just can't get over how good Bonnie was. Especially since most of us were not expecting much out of her when XY first started.

I hope we see them again someday, if not, the special they had with Cilan was a good sendoff.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NesRemix said:
Bonnie and Clemont are the greatest support characters we've had after Kanto-era Brock. Kiawe is cool and I liked Cilan, but Bonnie/Clemont have the best dynamic ever.

Bonnie is one of the best written characters in the animes history. She had all the traits of Misty/May/Dawn wrapped into one character, she had tons of great and funny scenes in most episodes, great development, and of course the Tyranturum and Squishy/Zygarde finale are some of the most memorable and emotional eps in the animes entire history.

Seriously, I just can't get over how good Bonnie was. Especially since most of us were not expecting much out of her when XY first started.

I hope we see them again someday, if not, the special they had with Cilan was a good sendoff.

I'll at least admit that Eureka was well-written and had chemistry with all the other cast members in Kalos. One of the flaws that Citron had was that while he had great scenes with Satoshi and Eureka, but didn't interact much with Serena. Eureka was the only well-rounded character in that group as far as interactions with other characters is concerned. She even had great moments with Nyasu.

SerenaRulez

Serena is my favorite character but it depends on the episodes. I liked her when she had longer hair in the beginning of Kalos but once she cut it I thought she looked too different although I still really liked her character arc! I just thought she should look prettier while she did Showcases.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
For a companion who doesn't know what to do from the beginning, and despised her mother profession, I would say that Serena had a significant development. Sure, there's issues on how she was handled, especially with the notorious unfinished battles and the rushed Showcases routines from the writers, but when determined she would stand pretty well on her own, in which I based my Serena fan project from. I don't care about Ash, so I don't care about Amourshipping and I like her original look, as I thought the current look wasn't really consistent sometimes.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Top 10 Human Characters
1.Paul
2.Gary
3.AG Ash (Hoenn)
4.Drew
5.Harley
6.OS Ash (Kanto)
7.OS Brock (Kanto)
8.OS Misty (Kanto)
9.Georgia
10.Barry

Top 10 Pokemon
1.Ash's Charizard
2.Paul's Electivire
3.Ash's Sceptile
4.Paul's Torterra
5.Paul's Ursaring
6.Ash's Swellow
7.Ash's Bulbasaur
8.Ash's Squirtle
9.Paul's Drapion
10.Alain's Charizard

emboar609

Ash (depending on the series): The enthusiasm, the childlike optimism, the childishness of his impulsive tendencies and utter density on certain subjects, the undeserved cockiness and stumbling of the early part of the OS giving way to earned confidence and skill by the end of DP (and the OS-DP Ash does come across as one character, developed along more-or-less solid lines of plotting), his single-mindedness juxtaposed with a surprising altruism - he's a lot of fun as a character, and one with more range and depth than I think he's often credited for having. The soft reset of BW might be frustrating, and he may have been turned bland in XY/Z, but to go by the first three series, and now SM (which has also done a nice job at showing off some nice quirks of character by putting Ash in a more everyday setting), I think he's a great lead for the series.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
For the current series my favorite character so far is Koharu/Chloe. I like her personality and the way she interacts with Goh and how she's cold towards Ash.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
That ranking is subject to change, so I will try to not make it overly long

1) Ash - The main protagonist. He's been my favorite ever since I watched episode 1 back when the Pokémon fad started. Unlike most of my peers from that time, I think the "adjustments" made on his personality post-first series were a change for the better. It made Ash even more interesting and engaging.

Mock me all you want, but I personally see Ash as a role model. I really admit how he can keep his head up even after defeat or failure, how he would try to keep his cool even when insulted (that applies more for later rivalries) and always tries to be a good kid.

Ash is also a well-rounded protagonist. He can fit in just about any kind of context, even the weird and Yokai Watch-esque ones like SM. In many ways, I consider Ash as much the mascot of the franchise as Pikachu is. His name might be a homage to the franchise's creator but I feel like he evolved so much he even upstaged Mr. Tajiri himself.

It's Ash, his passion for Pokémon and how he connects with the ones he has that makes him so interesting and appealing to me. There was various instances where the mere fact he owned a pokémon made me like the species more: Aipom, Hawlucha and Oshawott being the prime examples. I've mocked those pokémon when I see them and nowadays I consider them some of the most interesting and engaging pokémon on Ash's rosters.

Ash is really good at bringing the best about the pokémon he has. That's also a big reason I'm so adamant about him getting Chespin lol When Ash has a pokémon he makes it stand out. That's some star power right there.

2) Serena - It's funny I used to like Xena/Wonder Woman-type of heroines but Serena end up captivating my heart. Unlike some I didn't mind the romance subplot. It was cute and different. I like how they played that her strenght was not exactly about battling but more about her heart.

We go from the kid who was scared of walking alone in a forest to a confident young woman who has a clear goal of what she wants and will face any adversities that show in her way. The last shot we see of her in the Hoenn aeroport is quite telling

As my friend @DuquÊ? says, Serena's a classic heroine but I don't mind. As I said above, it's funny... I've always prefered "Wonder Women" but Serena's character made me see female characters and classic heroines like her in a whole different lines. I've finally realize that a woman character can be strong and well-rounded without having to be an all-around amazon. As long as she is made sympathetic and engaging, you can get enjoyment from her.

Her start in the show was certainly rough but once they figured what they wanted with her, they definetely delivered the goods.

I also like how Serena's departure is kind of a commentary on the idol industry. Serena ultimately rejects being chained to a life ditacted by her manager and decides she'll be sucessful on her own terms, never rejecting the love she has for Ash. For me that's stronger than Wonder Woman beating foes Superman himself had trouble with.

3) Dawn - Ash's stranded spiritual twin sister. Her dynamic with Ash is definetely the show's best. Not in a romantic sense but more as family/really good friends. Dawn's got it all: a story with beggining, a middle and a sort of closure, full teams, some battles. Certainly fitting for the original co-protagonist.

At first I wasn't willing to give her a chance but I don't regret doing that as she end up upstating May and becoming my favorite "Pokégirl" until Serena came along (more on that below). Her first episode is easily one of my favorite season openers. It really sells Dawn as a good character and does show why her personality made her so close with Ash.

What makes Dawn and Goh have an easier time connecting with Ash than anyone else is that they are both really passionate about what they want and they have clarity in what they want. Ash understands his mindset so he has an easier time with them than with just about anyone else.

Ash and Dawn shared strategies, training sessions, suffering and joys which made them such a solid pairing it was kind heart-breaking seeing them take different paths. And not speaking them as a Pearlshipper - I wouldn't be oppose to it but I feel like they work better as just very good friends/stranded twins - just a fan of their dynamic.

4) May - She'll always have a special place in my heart because she was the reason I came back to the franchise after leaving when Johto's first season ended. Really. I was never a fan of misty so she sticking around was one of the reasons I stopped watching (another part was Johto being downright repetitive and boring). Then there was a wave of nostalgia in my country because Saint Seiya started airing again. I've bought an anime magazine because of that and it just happen to have an article about Pokémon. There I learned of May, how she was replacing the one I hate and since I found her look so cool I was interested in the show again.

I started watching again with Master Quest waiting for Hoenn but then the jerks in the TV station just... Stopped airing Pokémon after the first episode.

By the then, I've learned that May was to be replaced. I was a bit sad at first. I watched it some random DP episodes and arcs and only got fully commited to the show after Ambipom's release (was not a fan of the trade).

I don't regret giving Dawn a chance. She grew on me and end up upstaging May as my favorite pokégirl until Serena came along

5) Goh - I'm really biased as I've wanted a male co-protagonist for Ash ever since I saw the character design for GS's player character in a Nintendo magazine back in the day. Goh is giving everything I wanted being a bro to Ash in a way that's similar to Dawn but at the same time different. I just wish he had more battles.

I feel like Goh has plenty of room to evolve, specially when you consider what's his relationship with his starter is being shaped as. So I'm really looking forward what he has to show in in the future.

The remaining ones in no particular order (might add thoughts later):

Iris, Cilan, Clemont, Bonnie and bits from Max, Kiawe, Lillie, Verity and Sorrel from the companion side and Sawyer and Alain for the rival side.

EDIT: Adjusted remaining ones and inverted Goh and May since the former barely started his run. Polish my rants about TOP 5

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I dont really mind Serena that much anymore. I think she could actually become one of my favorite characters again if she returns and has interesting interactions with some of the other characters.

My other favorites are Lillie, Dawn, Paul, Kiawe, Misty, and Brock

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Favorite main characters(human) from best to worst:
James > Brock > Ash > Lillie > Kiawe > Serena > Dawn > Cilan > May > Misty > Tracey > Go > Clemont > Lana > Jessie > Mallow > Iris > Sophocles > Max > Bonnie

Pokemon MCs
Meowth > Pikachu > Togetic > Raboot > Axew > Dedenne >>>Rotom Pokedex>Piplup

Saraneon

MFavourite Characters (top 5)

I didn't watch as intensively after XY ended, and keep in mind I may be a teeeeeensy bit biased since Sinnoh was my favourite region but I'll just rank them down! (I'm not including SM or SW characters!)

1. Paul (seriously he's the BEST rival Ash has ever had, it's my opinion so um, yes. I would pay money to see him appear again *sobs like a maniac* *dramatically flings arm out* COOOOOOMMMMEEEEEEE BAAAAAACK PAAAAAUUUULLLLL *Paul at wherever he is: "Pathetic."* Me: dies of sadness)

2. Dawn (okay *clears throat* ahem, I can understand why you may be inclined to think that prejudice may have clouded my judgement after ranking two Sinnoh characters side-by-side BUT DAWN IS SO AWESOME *mentally screams* She's a great Coordinator and trainer, she has battled a surprising lot given that she's a Coordinator, and I love her character growth. Yes)

2.5 Okie I'm sorry I forgot to add Brock here. Eeeks? But here we go XD Petition to bring back his Frying Pan!!

3. Ash -- just because he brings awesome Pokemon. Just kidding lol. He's an amazing character and the protagonist of Pokemon so it's a given I'll like him. Every time a new season starts and he "resets" I facepalm myself, but I still love his resilience :)

4. Cynthia (OKAY it's time to defend myself: seriously she's so cool. Like, in the anime you don't really see Champions walking around but she's so nice and calm and cool and awesome and strong and her Garchomp is q02348#@%dsDR so yes I shall let myself exit this room)

5. Misty + Serena (I'm sorry Serena fans, I see her rank quite high, actually I really like her too! Misty is so savagely funny and I adore her Psyduck (it's my mom's favourite Pokemon lol), I watched that SM episode where she and Brock returned for her. Also Serena's growth is incredible, at first I was slightly meh about a Performer but it's actually pretty cool! And her crush on Ash was totally cute and relatable (as in irl not that I have a crush on Ash lol) I hope she'll return :)

yes.

There are more characters I love, but these are my top 5.

Edit: OH GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TR!!! *smacks myself* I'll put them no. 2, I really love them hehe. Everytime they release/say goodbye to a Pokemon I SOB like crazy... Thinking of Weezing, Arbok, Cacnea, Dustox... :"(

Favourite Ash's Pokemon
Oooh there are too many, but I'll try my best to rank them. Also for each position I'm going with alphabetical order (if there are multiple) so it's not like I prefer some over the others :)

1. Ash's Bayleef, Infernape and Pikachu
2. Ash's Charizrd, Gible, Gliscor and Snivy
3. Ash's Glalie, Greninja and Snorlax
4. Ash's Rowlet, Sceptile, and Totodile
5. Ash's Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Totodile

Favourite NON-Ash's Pokemon
There are a lot for this section, so I'll try to include every Pokemon I really like. Unlike before, I'm not going with alphabetical order because I have different trainers' Pokemon in the same position and it's hard to type, for instance, "Paul's Bidoof, Cynthia's Magikarp, Paul's Octillery and Tobias's Ratata"

1. Paul's Electivire, Honchkrow, Torterra, Iris's Dragonite and Team Rocket (? Meowth's?) Meowth
2. Jessie's Wobbuffet, James' Mime Jr. and Cacnea, Cynthia's Garchomp, Brock's Croagunk
3. Paul's Drapion, Weavile, Ursaring, Dawn's Piplup, Misty's Psyduck, Togepi and Cilan's Pansage
4. May's Blaziken, Serena's Braizen and Jessie's Seviper (random but I can never forget "BLAZE KICK!" HAHA)
5. Iris's Axew, Cynthia's Gastrodon, and Dawn's Mamoswine

Just realised this list seems pretty random oh well, whatever ^^

<3

Last edited:

Lacuna

Goodnight
Oh boy, here I go. =P
I have a bit of a bias towards OS (and to some extent DP) since they're my favorite series so don't judge me. All of these are just my own personal opinions and I don't wanna get waaay too in-depth about it, so my reasoning is kinda based on nothing.
(Also the numbers are kind of arbitrary, I don't really prefer certain ones over others.)

Favorite characters:
1. Gary - I know I never shut up about this but he's the best, okay?!? I love his whole character arc of slowly bettering himself and not acting like as much of a jerk anymore lol, though early S1 is still great. He's just actually super cool. I swear if Journeys ends without him being at least mentioned, I'm going to be a sad, sad person. (I promise I'm not just one of the cheerleaders in disguise.)

2. Ash - I'm one of those people that actually really likes Ash and thinks his character development over time is really great. I kiiind of wish he was still as snarky and moody as he was in earlier series sometimes, but it makes total sense that he's not and might even be for the better. He's just a very good protagonist and role model and I genuinely hope he never gets replaced.

3. Ritchie - I kind of group these top 3 together most of the time, I think I just associate them all for some reason. Anyway, Ritchie is basically just like... the smarter Ash, sometimes. =P Kidding, though I do think he could probably carry a series as the protagonist by himself (even though that's basically almost what Chronicles is). He's pretty underappreciated and I need that dang rematch already.

4. Dawn - Her growth throughout DP was really cool and she's just one of the most awesome companions in general. I love how she was basically the first "dual-protagonist" before they actually decided to do that for real in this most recent series. I know I said this half-jokingly above, but she could like, ACTUALLY carry a series by herself. I really want an episode about what she's up to now.

5. Misty - She's super funny and even though I wish she got a little bit more development as a companion (or even just more stuff to do), I still really like her. She was pretty much the only thing keeping the group in the first few seasons from completely going off the rails, and her dynamic was really good. I felt super bad for her at the very end of Master Quest too.

Honorable mentions, in no particular order: Gou, May, Paul, Zoey, Delia, Tracey, Todd, James, Sabrina, and Duplica. My reasoning for these ones would basically just amount to me saying "dunno, I like them" so I'm leaving them down here.
And favorite Pokemon:
1. Ash's Muk. Weird, amorphous Pokemon are like, super cute to me so obviously I love this affectionate blob of sewage.

2. Ash's Pikachu. It'd be a crime not to put it here, that's real friendship.

3. Meowth, Jessie's Wobbuffet, and any of James's Pokemon, honestly, all of them are so good. So... tied spot for Weezing, Victreebel, Cacnea, Carnivine, and Mime Jr., I guess.

4. Gary's Umbreon. ...I wish we saw it as an Eevee more since Eevee is my favorite Pokemon overall but Umbreon is cool too. I also love his Arcanine and Nidoking (even though I wish that his team had a liiittle bit more personality themselves).

5. Mimey forever. Also Ash's Squirtle, and his Gengar because why not. (though I really need Gengar to get more screentime because I always wanted him to have one lol) And lastly, Brock's Croagunk just because it's goofy.

I've actually not really paid too close attention to the Pokemon themselves in the past, so it's hard for me to really pick anything interesting unfortunately.
Honorable mentions go to Sparky, Gou's Raboot and Sobble, and Ash's Corphish, Glalie, and Kingler. And OS/M1 Mewtwo because it sort of counts for both a character AND a Pokemon.

By the way, I LOVE seeing people super enthusiastic about their favorite character. That sounds sarcastic but I'm being totally genuine. Warms the heart.