• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite D/P/Pt Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum had Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup as Sinnoh's Starter Pokemon trio: Which did y'all like the most? Please try and explain your thoughts thoroughly, not just "I like ____".

I personally preferred Piplup's evolutionary line over the others; Piplup itself is such a cute Pokemon. Chimchar's all right, as is Turtwig, but Piplup is superior in my personal opinion.

Kalosian

So long
Chimchar all the way. My favorite Fire starter, and quite possibly my overall favorite starter from all generations. I love everything about it. It has a great design and I think it just gets cooler as it evolves. It is very useful throughout the games (especially in D/P where it is one of the two Fire-types available before beating the game) and it is great on the competitive scene as well, having great offensive stats and a vast movepool, not to mention being able to be either physical, special or mixed. That said, I do like Piplup and Turtwig as well. They are both great and fun Pokemon, but I prefer Chimchar over them.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I have to go with Piplup. The other two are great, but I've always liked the Piplup family the best. It was the first Sinnoh starter I used and I've always thought that Empoleon's typing was pretty cool. Also, I like penguins and find Piplup to be quite cute.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I usually choose Turtwig,because I like Torterra's design and it learns powerful moves like Razor Leaf and Earthquake pretty early on.Piplup is next,because I like Empoleon's typing,but it lacks good attacks early on(Bubble was horribly weak back then).Chimchar is my least favorite because I didn't like the whole line design-wise,even though they are fast and powerful.

skyradiant

To Each Future
Turtwig is my favorite because of how cute it is, while Torterra is just awesome. Piplup and Empoleon, meanwhile, are actually my favorite Water-starters, even though I prefer Turtwig and Torterra over them. As for Infernape, while it's my least favorite of the Sinnoh starters, it isn't too bad either.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Turtwig, of course. Turtwig is super cute, Grotle looks really cool and Torterra is just awesome(so is it's source material).

Piplup is really cute too and Empoleon looks cool but the line's attitide of being so self-centered and haughty is what's a bit of a turn-away. I don't like Chimchar and Monferno's designs at all but Infernale looks okay I guess. Still in last place for me in the Sinnoh starters.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Very hard decision for me, because I love every single one of the starters in Sinnoh and still ardently believe that they're the best out there (4th gen's my top favorite, anyway). Out of pure nostalgia, I'd go for Piplup as his line was my first back in Diamond. However, my team didn't really fit around him, so I restarted my game and chose Turtwig instead. I'll be thoroughly honest, that Turtwig (Or Torterra at the time) was my first level 100, and she meant a great deal to me. The Chimchar line's just purely awesome in terms of aesthetics and battle cries. I've felt more personally connected to Infernape, in a way, as his play-style fits and meets my expectations as a Mixed Attacker.

Ultimately, I'd go for the Chimchar line.

Ascended Dialga

I'd say my favorite Sinnoh starter is Piplup. It was my starter back when I played Diamond, and I really like Empoleon's typing and design

TheGuy131

Revolutionary
Sinnoh starter for me was Chimchar, but I would probably choose Turtwig now due to the increased defenses. Also, I find Torterra to be slightly cooler looking, but that is only my opinion.

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
Honestly Sinnoh has my least favorite set of starters. The Turtwig line feels like Bulbasaur ripoffs. The Chimchar line is OK, but it continued the Fire/Fighting trend, and I prefer Blaziken and Emboar over Infernape. Piplup is adorable and its line is my favorite from Sinnoh, but even so Empoleon always underwhelmed me.

My ranking for the regional starters probably goes as follows:

1. Kanto - Mostly because Bulbasaur is one of my all-time favorite Pokemon. I also love the Squirtle line, and it was my first Pokemon ever. I'm not really a Char fan though.
2. Johto - I have fond memories with all these starters.
3. Unova - This is my least favorite Gen for new Pokemon, but I actually love all the starters, especially Tepig.
4. Kalos - Pretty unique group and I enjoy using them overall.
5. Hoenn - Love the Torchic line, Mudkip's decent, could do without Treecko.
6. Sinnoh

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'll be honest in that I don't particularly care for the Sinnoh starters. I don't know why, I just don't find them that... special, for lack of a better adjective. But when I played through Diamond for the first time a couple of years ago, I chose Turtwig for whatever reason, and I ended up liking it. The Grass/Ground dual type probably was a nice touch, but I don't know why it is the Turtwig line grew on me. Sinnoh as a whole is not an interesting region to me, and a lot of the Pokémon I think are "meh", so it's a bit unusual for me to come to like a Sinnoh Pokémon, and yet not have a good reason for it.

Huntress Wizard

mmm whatcha say
Definitely not Chimchar, that's for certain. I can see why people might like it, especially considering it's such a fast 'mon, but I just...no.

So it's basically a tie for first between Piplup and Turtwig. The first time I played through Pearl was with a Piplup, and I grew very fond of it. Water/Steel is a really cool type combination, in my opinion, since it removes that huge Grass-type weakness. Doesn't hurt that Empoleon learns Drill Peck to boot. But the playthrough I stuck with the longest before restarting was with a Turtwig, and Torterra's design is just so cool. I've loved the idea of World Turtles since I first read about them.

Piplup, all the way! It's easily the best-looking of the trio (it was the first Water-type starter that I actually liked the appearance of since Squirtle!), and it has an awesome evolutionary line. Turtwig is cool, too, with the final evolution having that armored shell and huge tree... but Chimchar? Seriously, another Fire-Fighting? And a monkey, at that? Not for me.

ZiR

Beginner Collector
Turtwig IS the best option, it does great attack damage and can take hits, qualities that are very important ingame, also, the moveset of this pokemon IS GREAT. Piplup is also good, but you may have problems with the grass gym (2nd gym), however, once that you reach into Empoleon this pokemon will get you a great support. Chimchar is decent, it has the best attack and speed from all the starters, however the moveset (by level up) is limited to fighting and fire moves, also, it has a horrible defense, that means, for ingame it may not be the best option.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Chimchar, can basically solo most of the game with a HM slave as backup.
Mach Punches through Roark, burns through gardenia, makes Candice look like a total wuss, makes Iron Island easy. Not to mention clearing Flint and Aaron pretty much single-handedly. Its a great versatile sweeper and its defence isn't too bad easier.

Miss Alexis

Event Collector :)
My favorite starter pokemon for this generation was piplup because this one caught my attention the most, being a cute lil blue penguin and all :3 However, I was not too thrilled upon it evolving into Empoleon, it just was not much of an eye opener.

Sprinter1988

Piplup or Chimchar. I liked them both equally but usually went for Chimchar as fire types were so rare and I could catch a Buizel instead of Piplup!

Status
Not open for further replies.