• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite D/P/Pt Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feline

Why?
Story time: Long ago in 2007, me and my geeky college friends went to Gamestop to pick up our copies of Diamond and Pearl. One of my friends bought both Diamond and Pearl. He gave Pearl to his gf and kept Diamond for himself. I got both, but mained my Pearl. Anyway, me and the two geeky friends agreed, I got Turtwig, my friend who kept his Diamond game got Chimchar, and his gf got Piplup. The end.

Yeah, I restarted Pearl a few times between 2007-2009, but i'll always remember Turtwig who I nicknamed "Mickey". Plus, I think Turtwig is so dang cute. Remember the anime in the 1st D/P episode where Chimchar and Piplup were fighting over the food, and Turtwig was like all chill? That's me in real life, derpy and oblivious. xD

Bananarama

The light is coming
I've always been drawn to Water types, so I'll say Piplup.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
When I first got Pearl, I picked Turtwig mainly because I've preferred Water types and wanted to change things up. It felt refreshing choosing Grass actually, and I really liked Torterra's Grass/Ground typing.

SpoinkyPearl

It is really hard to pick one, I like all of them and I've started a game with all of them. But if I had to choose next time, I'd probably take Piplup. It is cute in its first form and awesome in its last form, water/steel is cool unique typing and it is pretty solid in (in-game) battles. Nothing wrong with Turtwig and Chimchar either, Chimchar was good to have around because there were so few Fire types in D/P and Turtwig evolved into Torterra which I really liked to use in battles.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Piplup all the way. He has the better evolution line. Chimchar's line is ugly imo (though Chimchar himself is cute) and Infernape is just an ugly Blaziken clone. Turtwig line is pretty lame as well.

jfat

eon Pokemon
Piplup no question about it

Shadow XD001

Chimchar is definitely my favorite. Love Infernape's design and movepool. I seldom choose a different starter in DPPt, but I've used Turtwig quite a bit.

Darrkvolt

Piplup was the one I chose and like the best, Turtwig is second but I generally like "glass cannon" types and because of the low speed I really couldn't stand him in battle. I dislike Chimchar only because I hate monkeys. I never use my starter outside of catching my second Pokemon and training that to about level 5 though, which is why I still like Turtwig over Chimchar even though Chimchar is basically that "glass cannon" type I like. Also because I find the games to be a bit too easy, and Chimchar was the only available fire type besides Ponyta, I didn't pick it to purposely not have a fire type (especially in nuzlocke runs).

Kisharp

My favourite Sinnoh starter was Turtwig, I liked how bulky it was and Grass/Ground is a nice typing despite it being Ice weak.

Cutty

Forever now
Mine was Piplup. It's really a neat idea taking a penguin as a concept.
But then I always like Water starters.

M.P.

Retired
Turtwig. First starter I've ever picked, and my all-time favorite starter.

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
My favoutite Generation 4 starter was Chimchar.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Although I initially liked Chimchar the best, Piplup has really grown on me over the years and has become my favorite Sinnoh starter. I dunno. I always thought Piplup itself was cute, and Empoleon just looks so regal. Plus it has such a great type combination.

Nintendo543

Turtwig. Hands down, my favorite Pokemon starter of all time. He learns really good moves pretty early. Earthquake is amazing!

He can learn Rock Polish, too. He can sweep pretty good with that! It speeds him up and he does pretty good damage.

I have never used Piplup and beat the E4/Champion, so I don't know. Piplup is cute though. Chimchar is pretty cool too.

JustinOfJohto

I chose a Chimchar, as it learns Mach punch in Lv 14 and is very useful in Oreburgh Gym. Also very Easy to defeat gardenia. I think that is the best option there is. Infernape can defeat Empoleon as Empoleon is also a Steel type. Torterra will be very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.