• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite D/P/Pt Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
My favorite starter is Turtwig. I think Grass and Ground is a neat combination and I also love Torterra's design. I think the tree on it's back is awesome.
I also liked Chimchar too in Diamond Pearl and Platinum. Piplup I didn't enjoy using much when playing through DPPt but it's still a good Pokémon.

Last edited:

TheEliteEmpoleon

Kinda goes without saying, but Piplup. It was my first ever pokémon, and since day one I've loved its final evolution more than any other pokémon.

Aidan25

Probably Piplup as everyone picked him as their first starter in Gen IV. But I also like Turtwig too now that I think about it (don't hate on the grass starter! :p)

Kanto_Caper

Sadly, this is the one game where I didn't really like any of the starters at first, but Turtwig seemed the least... meh to me, so I picked it.

It wound up being perfect since Rival Barry is a speed demon while my character is more slow-paced, so him getting the special speedster Chimchar while I got the "slow and steady wins the race" turtle Pokemon added meta hilarity. XD

And I grew to really like Torterra due to its good attack and defense, and solid Razor Leaf / Earthquake Grass/Ground move pool. (Though I wish its stronger Grass moves weren't special attack-based.)

Lunala

Banned
They're all great in my opinion. If we're talking only base forms though, then it's a toss up between Turtwig and Chimchar because the anime made Piplup obnoxious. If we're talking the entire lines, then Piplup because Empoleon is one of my favorite pokemon of all time

JohnLynch

By tradition on my first run through I always choose the hardest starter for the first gym (which invariably seems to be a fire pokemon). As such I've only played Chimchar. If I were to do a second run through I would definitely choose turtwig. I prefer his look and he reminds me somewhat of Bulbasaur (my favourite Red pokemon).

Kennith

Banned
Mine is Turtwig because it grows up to be an awesome Torterra.

PIPLUUUUP!!!!!!!! I was obsessed with piplup when i was in first grade haha;; i still have a burger king toy of piplup lol

Lunala

Banned
I've rewatched some of the anime and it's made me like Infernape a bit more, so it's up there with Empoleon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's hard to choose since I like all three almost the same amount. If I had to select just one though, I'd go with Naetle/Turtwig because it was my Starter when I played Pearl in '06. Good times.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Chimchar. He was my starter in Platinum, and he put Gardenia down good thanks to his Fire attacks. He's now an Infernape, and he hits pretty fast and hard. ;390; ;391; ;392;

Corey Demario

Electabuzz pitcher!
Piplup. I usually pick the Water type because of my rival, once the disadvantage factor of a Water type against Grass one seems to be less harsh than Fire vs. Water or Water vs. Fire. I know later in the game we both will have a lot of Pokémons and this choice won't influenciate anymore, but, as for the beginning of the game...

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
Piplup

I usually pick out the hardest to use starter but It's still my most favorite of the three.

Izanagi777

Well personally i thought D/P/Pt starters are the best (at least until Gen VI) so it's kinda a tough choice, given that all of them have their own strength.. But if i have to choose, Piplup would be my favorite, given it will evolve into Empoleon who has a Water/Steel type, which an unique combination which is pretty useful IMO..

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Piplup was the only Pokémon I even liked of the three DPPt starter evolution lines. All the other 11 Pokémon are either ugly or weird-looking. :/

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I really enjoy all three Sinnoh starters. My initial playthrough was with Turtwig but over time, I actually think that evolutionary line is my least favorite of the 3. After years and years of competitive battling, Infernape has a special place in my pokemon heart simply because of how good it is. Overall though, GameFreak did a great job with these starters, all of them are aesthetically pleasing in all stages and two of them are competitively viable (still).

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
Turtwig. Hands down. Piplup is cute, but Empoleon is not exactly helpful. Infernape is grossly overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.