• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Enhanced Version?

Which One Did You Like Best?

• Yellow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crystal

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Emerald

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Platinum

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Ultra Sun/Moon

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Now that they are thing of the past (or so it seems), now feels like a good time to talk about our faves.

Me, I'm partial to Platinum. It actually felt like an improvement over its predecessors.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
My favorite of them as games on their own are Platinum as that’s my favorite Pokémon game.

If we’re looking at them as to what they add to their sister versions, USUM. I recognize they’re far from popular additions and I agree with a lot of their issues but the additions feel almost worth it. I enjoyed a lot of things like Mantine Surfing, Alola Photo Club, and Ultra Warp Ride. The difficulty is also significantly better and I’d argue they’re the hardest in the series. Ultra Necrozma and the new UBs were great additions as well the new Z Moves. I just wish they added this much effort to the entire game as the first half is such a slog if you’re playing a year after SM like most people did

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
For me Platinum is the best enhanced version, mainly because I only played USUM and Emerald as well and I never beat either of them (I do like them both though, genuinely). The beauty of this is that what makes these games our favourites is what we felt was worth adding to already solid games - I'm not a massive side-quest fan or online player in Pokemon (so to speak) so things like the photography stuff in USUM and the Festival Plaza felt annoying and forced to me, whilst I do enjoy stuff like the Battle Frontier and move tutors so the games with easy-enough access to those were good for me. Funky times.

Anyway, Platinum is awesome because I like a decent challenge in my games alongside some actual options for a team and Platinum was an upgrade in both of these areas from their sister games (even if it took away Honchkrow which I am very bitter about). Flint/Volkner/Candice using not enough team diversity? Slap in the new evolutions for past-gen Pokemon. Like seriously why weren't they added prior, why lock them to the post-game? Stuff like Electivire, Gliscor, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Porygon-Z and Gallade are awesome to use and we had to wait until Platinum to get them? Gross. But Platinum fixed this and added them to the teams of important characters. Said gym leaders became more challenging with their improved teams and I really liked that their gyms were updated too. Surf speed was increased! Move tutors were available via shards which were reasonably easy to get (with no digging I could get around 2 tutor moves on my team which felt pretty solid). The post-game gave us gym leader rematches and a fully functional Battle Frontier! It was awesome.

Leonhart

Imagineer
A tie between Emerald version and Platinum version. I thought Emerald version was sort of mediocre at first since I was bad at the Battle Frontier challenge, but I got better over time, and the fact that Emerald had the cloning glitch boosted its importance from my viewpoint. And Platinum had great story line changes, which I appreciated.

Joycap

The Smogonites' personal George Orwell
Oh boy, it's like I made an entire video regarding this kind of thing about a year ago!

(Spoilers, I voted USUM)

jaden767

Amphetamine
If BW2 don't count then I'll go with Platinum. The Wi-Fi Plaza, Battleground, Distortion World, expanded Pokedex and all the other improvements were amazing. :D

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Oh boy, it's like I made an entire video regarding this kind of thing about a year ago!

(Spoilers, I voted USUM)

Agreed all around. I’m glad others enjoyed USUM
Had to subscribe for the first 10 seconds. Truer words have never been spoken

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
It's literally an upgraded version of RBG. It runs the same game engine and only has a few new things like updated rosters, a few new characters, better sprites and a minigame but even with that it's just RBG with a new coat of paint.

The enchanced/upgraded version from Gen I was Pokémon Blue, which served as a basis for the international releases.

Yellow was a spin-off. An anime tie-in adaptation, using the existing game as a basis.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Platinum, of all the third versions I think it's the one that had the most improvements from the originals. The dex is better, the pacing is better, the gameplay is smoother, there's a lot more to do between things like the Battle Frontier, and a cool area in the form of the Distortion World. It's the one I've grown to appreciate the most for what it set out to do to bring its region up and I feel that gives it an edge over the others.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Platinum, reasons:

-It's MUCH faster than D&P
-More availability of types, particularly fire types
-Volkner and Flint get true Pokemon that are specific to them. Not some out-of-place Octillery and Lopunny
-The Poketech that has TWO scroll buttons, as opposed to D&P's one scroll button.
-Battle Frontier
-Distortion World
-A better story than D&P
-MORE SNOW

Platinum is what I called a true upgrade over the predecessors

Leonhart

Imagineer
LusoTrainer said:
The enchanced/upgraded version from Gen I was Pokémon Blue, which served as a basis for the international releases.

But it didn't enhance much of anything: all it did was change some tile sets, introduce new sprites, change a few Game Corner prizes, alter some wild Pokemon locations, remove a couple of glitches, and change in-game trades. All of which were rather minor changes since they didn't affect gameplay much at all. The story remained exactly the same, unlike Yellow version's updated story line and other alterations.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
But it didn't enhance much of anything:

How much it enhances is not really relevant. It's the polished revision that defines the 'enhanced' versions, it doesn't change the mechanics, it simply improves the existing content.

It's not a marketing tie-in to something else (in this case, the anime) like Yellow was designed to be. Yellow, by the time it was conceived, obviously had improvements over the existing games, since it used it as a basis for itself. But it's a spin-off, not an update.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Easily Platinum. Rotom Appliance forms with special moves only each form can get, Origin Form Giratina, Sky Form Shaymin, expanded Dex, Battle Frontier, And Gym Leaders And the Elite Four getting Pokémon of their type specialty and no random out of place Pokémon. Only downside was the WiFi Plaza and online mini games which weren’t that great in the long run and for the fact that you could never get enough players to play the Swallot game which I think was better and easier to play than the Mime Jr game and less frustrating than the Wobbuffet game.

Rodpaco

1) Emerald
2) Platinum
3) Crystal
4) Yellow

Emerald and Platinum are my two favorite games in general not only because Hoenn and Sinnoh are tremendous regions in terms of exploration but also because of their Battle Frontiers.
Crystal and Yellow, on the other hand, I think didn't add as much when compared to the original games. Although it's worth mentioning that Crystal introduced the Battle Tower and that you could have the 3 starters in Yellow.
And I haven't played US/UM.

My favorite would be Pokemon Z Ultra Sun and Moon because I just like the Gen VII games in general, fixing the Shiny hunting odds with SOS, having the Ultra Wormhole Minigame, etc...

If only Pokemon Z went and fixed everything in the 6th gen