• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite First-Time Pokemon Appearances

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
IOBvbTP.png

It's moments like these that amazed me as a child. Thought it was the most enchanting thing I ever seen, probably still do compare to all the animation in the world. Seeing this again, it's not hard to see why some would think the Indigo League series is the best.

Kintaro

Banned
As a kid I remember looking forward to Sycther and Electabuzz's first appearance and "Showdown at Dark City" is one of my favorite Kanto eps.

I was really excited when I first saw Scizor in "Wired For Battle". I didn't play the games before, and it wasn't until this episode that I started nagging my parents to get me Pokémon Gold just to see Scyther's evo in action.
To this day Scizor remains my favorite pokemon, "Wired For Battle" is my favorite Johto episode and Shingo is one of my favorite CotD. I'm disappointed we didn't see Shingo battle Ash ever again.

Kintaro

Banned
I was really excited when I first saw Scizor in "Wired For Battle". I didn't play the games before, and it wasn't until this episode that I started nagging my parents to get me Pokémon Gold just to see Scyther's evo in action.
To this day Scizor remains my favorite pokemon, "Wired For Battle" is my favorite Johto episode and Shingo is one of my favorite CotD. I'm disappointed we didn't see Shingo battle Ash ever again.

Shingo was kind of like a proto-version of Paul.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Pidgeot, I absolutely loved watching Ash flying on it to take down that Fearow, shame he released it and hasn't come back since then.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
while it's kinda cheating to use legendaries, I loved how necrozma came out of the ultra wormhole in sm87, everything, necrozma crawling out, the music, the scream, it was all done greatly (sadly the rest of the arc didn't exactly live up to the hype)

shoz999

while it's kinda cheating to use legendaries, I loved how necrozma came out of the ultra wormhole in sm87, everything, necrozma crawling out, the music, the scream, it was all done greatly (sadly the rest of the arc didn't exactly live up to the hype)
I don't think it's cheating if it's legendaries. Were all kids once who were amazed by a certain Legendary we've seen. For example, the first time I saw Suicune in the movie. He wasn't doing anything important or was in-action. He was just doing his own thing, taking in the sights, enjoying his surroundings like any other Pokemon really. I liked that scene and I saw it again, getting nostalgia vibes, in the I Choose You movie only they made it more special.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Electivire and Magmortar. Gary’s coming to demolish the same Pikachu who just took down a Regice was honestly the coolest thing to me as a kid. The fact that it was a new Pokèmon only added to the appeal. Magmortar because it was a beast in Ash & Paul’s first Full Battle

shoz999

Electivire and Magmortar. Gary’s coming to demolish the same Pikachu who just took down a Regice was honestly the coolest thing to me as a kid. The fact that it was a new Pokèmon only added to the appeal. Magmortar because it was a beast in Ash & Paul’s first Full Battle
Oh yeah. That one was pretty cool when I was a kid too, not just because it was a new Pokemon but a new evolution of Electabuzz. I was so freaking excited until I find out you can only get it through trade evolution... then I was excited again when it just hit me that the DS doesn't need those cables. I believe Electivire was one of the earliest 4th gen reveals too for the game.

Last edited:

shoz999

Magmar's first episode made me think the species was badass, but turns out only Blaine's Magmar was awesome.
As a kid, I thought it was strange yet kind of cool that Blaine, not the scientist but is instead this hippie dude who owns a hotel, has Giovanni's Signature Pokemon, Rhydon and battles over a deadly pool of lava. Never realized I wanted this. Then there's of course Magmar who had this short rivalry with Charizard which was pretty badass. Thanks to that wrestling scene, I never really saw Magmar as a literal flamethrower Pokemon but as a tough wrestling fighting fire-type until Magmortar came out with those big flamethrower arm-guns.

Golduck if we count its Orange Islands debut as the debut of the species in general and ignore the first movie's timeline. I just loved the way that Golduck was made to seem so strong in the Orange Islands episode even though future Golducks would end up being really basic.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Golduck if we count its Orange Islands debut as the debut of the species in general and ignore the first movie's timeline. I just loved the way that Golduck was made to seem so strong in the Orange Islands episode even though future Golducks would end up being really basic.

I liked that too, but I didn't appreciate being trolled when we discovered the truth about Golduck.

Kintaro

Banned
It was obvious Psyduck was never going to evolve being a mascot pokemon at the time. The writers also seemed to have something against Misty getting strong pokemon in the OS, basically sabotaging her team with mostly pokemon that couldn't battle properly unless under certain conditions like Togepi/Psyduck/Horsea/Goldeen or getting rid of Starmie for Staryu, etc. Misty's Poliwhirl was probably her only pokemon treated as a battle that could change and grow throughout the series, since Corsola came really late and couldn't evolve.

I always thought Misty getting Gyarados (and later Mega Gyarados) was the writers way of making up for nor portraying Misty as a strong Gym leader like they should have in the OS.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Togepy's first appearance. I'll admit right now that it's purely from a nostalgic standpoint, but I was so excited to see another Gen II Pokemon in the anime after Houou, so watching Togepy hatch was such a great moment in the anime's history for me.

Venusaur's first appearance in the mysterious garden episode ( I don't count Gastly's transformation into one since it wasn't a proper debut ). There was just something about seeing my favorite grass type starter appearing for the first time that made me giddy back then.