1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Friendships

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jan 16, 2019.

1. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

Self explanatory. They don’t have to be Ash related either, just friendships you enjoy between any characters or Pokémon. Please don’t turn this into a shipping thread.

1) Ash and Pikachu - This is #1 for obvious reasons. I love Ash/Pikachu focused episodes probably the most, they always warm my heart. I don’t think anyone believes in Ash the way Pikachu does lol.

2) Ash and Brock - Although I sometimes feel like Brock was forgotten, I still consider him to be Ash’s best friend.

3) Ash and Misty - I love seeing Ash and Misty go from bickering and teasing to being genuine friends who still roast each other occasionally and I like that Misty went from thinking Ash is hopeless to actually believing in him as a trainer.

4) Mallow and Lillie - I adore their friendship. I feel like the show has never really focused female companion friendships as much before (maybe Dawn and Zoey.)

5) Ash and Dawn - Maybe it’s because Dawn sometimes felt like the female version of Ash, but I always felt like they got along well and I enjoy seeing them support each other.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ I want pizza!

Dawn and Iris. They interacted well with each other and their interactions are more fresh than any other female companions interactions.

3. KingMinun

KingMinun Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!

Ash and Dawn is the best friendship we’ve seen in my opinion, they felt like actual friends who were equals and helped each other through thick and thin!

Ash and Brock for the sheer length of time they spent together

Ash and Misty, they felt like one of those natural friendships were they dislike each other but then become real good friends

Bulbasaur and Squirtle, my favourite Pokémon friendship in the series, they felt like brothers and you could feel a strong bond between them. Especially when squirtle left too!

Pikachu and Piplup, another genuine friendship that developed over the course of the series, best friends they felt like and it feels weird seeing Pikachu without his sidekick.

Pikachu and Togepi, the big brother and little sister friendship

Bulbasaur and Togepi, similar to Pikachu and Togepi

4. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

Clemont and Serena and Dawn and Brock, clearly the epitome of the male/female character interaction in the series. lol. (Before anyone asks, I am joking)

But yeah in the later groups it's hard to say the friendships all around were that good since there was always at least one character who felt left out or a little detached from the other characters in the group. It's probably why the group dynamics felt kinda stiff for 15+ years on the anime.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  5. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Ash and Dawn- Probably he best chemisty ash has with anyone in the series

Ash and Brock- Spend long time with each other

Ash and Lillie- One of the best chemistry in SM series

Ash and Clemont- Brotp in XY

Ash and Misty- Way too much bickering but did mild down but still good friendship that's what writers were intending to do

Brock and misty- Both were side by side during OS even when they were not in focus most of times

Dawn and Zoey- Best rival friendship

Dawn and May- May's DP cameo

Dawn and Iris- Dawn's BW cameo

Bulbasaur and Squirtle- Best pokemon friendship in th series

Pikachu and Piplup- Pikachu's best pokemon friend

Axew and Scraggy- Forgotten and underrated in BW

Honourable mentions-
    Brock and Kiawe- Dissapointed with no interactions in second cameo but there could be a specail with them

Not gonna add ash and serena, may and drew and kenny and dawn since they all are romantic pairings than actual friendships like above one.

Agreed on the first one but brock and dawn did have lot of interactions between them, people forgot about brock's advice to dawn when her pachirisu had gotten ill, not to mention dawn had mentioned him multiple times in BW, i would say brock and may are more bigger examples.

Not just later groups even in AG there wasn't any major connection between companions except ash acting as mentor to may, later series still had ash and dawn/lille/clemont, dawn and may/iris who had good chemisrty, maybe because post DP all the companions are all one series only characters writers had decided to mainly focus on them individually rather than having good bonding with companions.

Kuzehiko likes this.
  6. Ignition

Ignition *stares into your soul*

Ash and Dawn: felt like best friends and equals. They always had learned from each other and that was it shows in their Gym Battles and Contests.

Original trio: While I’m pretty neutral towards OS, I think it undeniably had the best chemistry between the main cast (including TRio). The snarky roasts mixed with the occasional temporary truce always has me laughing. Even the Pokèmon got into the humorous mischief.

Ash and Kiawe: if doesn’t spell bromance, I don’t know what will. They’re the perfect example of a competitive friendship. Kiawe acts like a personal Alola tour guide while Ash helps him show his more passionate side.

7. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I forgot about Pikachu and Togepi! I remember when Pikachu would not battle Togepi for nothing. Definitely one of my favorite Poke friendships lol.

8. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Ash and Lillie: It's not seen a tremendous deal but I have a soft spot for when Ash having a 'little sister' to watch over. I love how he starts treating Lillie far more seriously after accidentally screwing her in the AF arc, it's one of the first cases Ash has noticed this is not his usual formula and he has to pay more attention to one of his friends. Lillie's shy idolisation of Ash is also adorable, plus I like the brains/brawn dynamic between them.

All of Ash's Alola mon: They feel the most close knit of any of his teams (besides maybe his Kanto lot). Stuff like Pikachu in the usual straight man role and Lycanroc and Torracat's sparring buddy rivalry, even Poipole was a cute 'baby brother' archetype during the brief time it was there.

Ash and Kiawe: Probably the most developed 'bromance' dynamic Ash has gotten so far. Plus they balance each other nicely with Ash being more experienced but a fish out of water when it comes to Alolan culture.

Marowak and Turtonator: One of the better rounded bickering teammate dynamics. Marowak is largely an annoying little brother that likes picking fights though they have respectful moments like their training bouts. Also like odd moments like Marowak trying to drag Turtonator to play in the water slide with him or Turtonator trying to stop him harassing the other littler Pokemon.

Team Rocket trio: Guys who love being bad guys but are still a closely knit group (but not without heavy childish arguments). Their bonds with Wobbuffet and their other regional Pokemon tend to be cute as well.

Agstrek, Zhydra, Trey pokes and 2 others like this.
  9. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

The ghostly trio in Pokemon Tower at Lavendar Town

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  10. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie Together with the Wind

No mention of the Team Rocket trio? I am disappoint.

Really, outside of Ash and Pikachu, those three display true companionship even with the bickering they get into. Sure, it may be a result of them being rejects and birds of a feather flock together, or just because that's how they were assigned, but no matter what, you rarely see them apart. And if they ever got separated whether on their own terms or not, they always end up looking for each other, because while they don't always say it, they do care about each other. And as bumbling and foolish as they can be, they actually make a pretty good team.

[​IMG]
    It's canon, tho.

11. KingMinun

KingMinun Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!

I’d like to add Dawn and Brock in there. Seriously underrated, he was a strong mentor for her, giving her advice and clearly that advice stuck with her, she was able to help 2 of her Pokémon when sick with advice he had given her. And he knew better than Ash when to give her space over the Diamond Dandruff. It’s a seriously underrated friendship because it’s not tradional or one we are used to and it annoys me to see it chucked into being the same friendship as Clement and Serena, who literally barely interacted. Brock was very very supportive of Dawn, and that’s the type of friendship it was.

LilligantLewis and Kuzehiko like this.
  12. Kintaro

I think the difference is Misty and Brock had a genuine friendship together, it's noticeable in eps they're in together. Yes Brock had mentor moments and gave advice and explained Ash's battles to May, Dawn, etc....but he definitely didn't seem as close to them as Misty. The thing is Brock's character was designed to be a foil to Misty in the OS, so when Misty left but Brock stayed, Brock's role was severely reduced in the AG and DP arcs. This along with Ash maturing and becoming more competent as a trainer in those sagas as well meant Brock's interactions/mentoring with Ash also was severely reduced because Ash didn't really need to rely on him for advice anymore outside of maybe a handful of episodes. It's also one of the main reasons people felt Brock got so stale in the show for so long till he finally left as a main character.

Redstar45 likes this.
  13. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

Ash and Gary: Rivals who became best budds. Their friendship is just that great.

Ash and Brock: for obvious reasons. They're the best of the best friends.

Ash and Dawn: their friendship was way too strong. It was well-written and developed as well.. they used to argue in the beginning of DP but they ended up supporting each other in bad and good times. They also learned from each other too. It is the most realistic out there.

Ash and Misty: they've travelled together for quite a long time. Ash appreciates Misty a lot as we've seen when he refused to let Dawn see the lure that Misty gave to him.

Ash and Lillie: I wouldn't say they're best friends tbf but in fact, they're quite good friends who get along very well and feel comfortable with each other. I like the fact Ash can rely on her and he hasn't done that with anybody else iirc. What can you expect from Lillie? She is just the sweetest.

Ash and Serena: Throughout his journey in Kalos I think Ash saw Serena as a close friend to him. They easily got along. They also felt comfortable with each other most of time. I do not think Serena is one of Ash's best friends though.

Pikachu and Piplup: they simply are the best budds. Piplup's to Pikachu what Brock is to Ash: his very best Pokemon friend.

Pikachu, Ash and the Kanto starter trio: their friendship cannot be forgotten.

TR: no need to explain any further, right?

Dawn and Iris's friendship is a honorable mention as well.

14. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Ash and Serena, Serena and Bonnie

15. Kintaro

In SM, Misty and Lana had a pretty decent friendship. Wasn't as focused on as it could have been, but it's the only decent female/female friendship Misty ever had in the entire series.

16. shoz999

shoz999 No! That's impossible!

Dawn. She's everyone's best friend.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Kuzehiko likes this.
  17. horrahforyou

horrahforyou Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life

Serena mostly thinks Ash as her boyfriend, not as a casual friend like Dawn or Misty.

Back to the topic:
    I am fond also of the Trainer and Pokemon friendships

Ash and Pikachu
    Lillie and Snowy
    Dawn and Piplup
    Iris and Axew
    Jessie, James and Meowth (plus Wobbuffet)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    LilligantLewis and Zhydra like this.
  18. Kintaro

Serena/Shauna in XY was alright, they were good friends.

janejane6178 likes this.
  19. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Well that's ur opinion. I for one, don't see any friendship between Ash and Lillie - too formal..

20. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I dunno I think Lillie is one of the few characters Ash has really gone out of his comfort zone for. He travels with so many but he usually keeps them at arm's length, buddies but not too intimate. With the AF arc you saw him feeling truly bad for Lillie and trying to comfort her, not just 'encouraging speech' like his usual, actually trying to empathise and be a supporting shoulder. He's awkward in his attempts but that makes it more endearing, he's trying something he isn't used to for her sake.

Then there's cases like the Rotom Dex stardom episode. While I do admit Ash's dilemma was pretty out of character that episode, I like how he and Lillie connected, and he was actually willing to pour his heart out to her.

Zhydra likes this.