• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Galar Gym Leader (Spoilers)

Favorite Galar Gym Leader?

• Milo (Grass)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Nessa (Water)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Kabu (Fire)

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Bea (Fighting)

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Allister (Ghost)

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Opal (Fairy)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Gordie (Rock)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Melonie (Ice)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Piers (Dark)

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • Raihan (Dragon)

Votes: 10 9.8%

• Total voters

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I can swear there was an offhand mention somewhere that Piers is opposed to Dynamaxing. I know there was mention of Rose repeatedly trying to get Piers to move to another city, one with a Power Spot, but Piers always turned it down. But you may be right; I may be confusing his love for his hometown to opposition to Dynamaxing in general. (Though that does make me wonder what places have Power Spots that we don't actually visit, and whether or not towns are founded and established where Power Spots are found.)

Certainly, his absence in the opening ceremonies was suspicious, and it's not simply because his emblem is the Team Yell emblem flipped around (considering said emblem is on the banner outside Motostoke Stadium).

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I can swear there was an offhand mention somewhere that Piers is opposed to Dynamaxing. I know there was mention of Rose repeatedly trying to get Piers to move to another city, one with a Power Spot, but Piers always turned it down. But you may be right; I may be confusing his love for his hometown to opposition to Dynamaxing in general. (Though that does make me wonder what places have Power Spots that we don't actually visit, and whether or not towns are founded and established where Power Spots are found.)

Certainly, his absence in the opening ceremonies was suspicious, and it's not simply because his emblem is the Team Yell emblem flipped around (considering said emblem is on the banner outside Motostoke Stadium).

Actually, I think it WAS mentioned that he didn’t like Dynamax. But it was in the postgame, I believe...

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Something I like about all of them, actually, is the way they throw their Dynamax/Gigantamax Poké Balls. They each do it as such (I have the Shield version; I haven't observed the Sword ones yet:
Milo - He pets the ball a couple of times before throwing it, showing how much he cares for his Pokémon
Nessa - Swirls the ball for a moment before giving it a toss with a lot of spin
Kabu - Holds the ball low with his eyes closed, as if he's focusing deeply; his eyes briefly ignite as he throws it
Allister - Lets the ball grow in both hands (all others do it one-handed), then throws it back while swinging around; all his motions indicate the ball is quite heavy for him
Opal - Turns around, then does a gentle double-handed underhand throw, as if she's throwing a bouquet or releasing a bird
Melony - Cuddles the ball against her right cheek before throwing it
Piers - N/A
Raihan - Carries the ball on his shoulder like a basketball, then has Rotom take a selfie before he throws it

In particular, the way Melony treats the Poké Ball suggests treats her Pokémon in a "Mister Muffykins" way, which I believe would be a first for a Gym Leader (and an unexpectedly difficult one for many people).

The floors of these stadiums might also be a weird thing to be interested in, but each of them has a texture corresponding with their types. Below is a little bit of each of them as found in the Shield version:

S5dLvo3.png

Turffield Stadium: Smoothly cut painted grass with light and dark stripes so as to resemble a soccer/football/rugby field
Hulbury Stadium: Clear acrylic, with lines painted so as to resemble a swimming pool
Motostoke Stadium: Cobblestone embedded in mortar, with a thick coat of deep red paint
Stow-on-Side Stadium: Worn down concrete or fiberglass; the markings on the floor also have a worn look
Ballonlea Stadium: Clean, fresh carpet
Circhester Stadium: Slick-looking ice surfaced via Zamboni, like an ice hockey rink
Spikemuth Gym: Bolted cement, with lights shining on it like the dance floor that it is
Hammerlocke Stadium: Stone tiles arranged to resemble reptilian scales

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Something I like about all of them, actually, is the way they throw their Dynamax/Gigantamax Poké Balls. They each do it as such (I have the Shield version; I haven't observed the Sword ones yet:
Milo - He pets the ball a couple of times before throwing it, showing how much he cares for his Pokémon
Nessa - Swirls the ball for a moment before giving it a toss with a lot of spin
Kabu - Holds the ball low with his eyes closed, as if he's focusing deeply; his eyes briefly ignite as he throws it
Allister - Lets the ball grow in both hands (all others do it one-handed), then throws it back while swinging around; all his motions indicate the ball is quite heavy for him
Opal - Turns around, then does a gentle double-handed underhand throw, as if she's throwing a bouquet or releasing a bird
Melony - Cuddles the ball against her right cheek before throwing it
Piers - N/A
Raihan - Carries the ball on his shoulder like a basketball, then has Rotom take a selfie before he throws it

In particular, the way Melony treats the Poké Ball suggests treats her Pokémon in a "Mister Muffykins" way, which I believe would be a first for a Gym Leader (and an unexpectedly difficult one for many people).

The floors of these stadiums might also be a weird thing to be interested in, but each of them has a texture corresponding with their types. Below is a little bit of each of them as found in the Shield version:

S5dLvo3.png

Turffield Stadium: Smoothly cut painted grass with light and dark stripes so as to resemble a soccer/football/rugby field
Hulbury Stadium: Clear acrylic, with lines painted so as to resemble a swimming pool
Motostoke Stadium: Cobblestone embedded in mortar, with a thick coat of deep red paint
Stow-on-Side Stadium: Worn down concrete or fiberglass; the markings on the floor also have a worn look
Ballonlea Stadium: Clean, fresh carpet
Circhester Stadium: Slick-looking ice surfaced via Zamboni, like an ice hockey rink
Spikemuth Gym: Bolted cement, with lights shining on it like the dance floor that it is
Hammerlocke Stadium: Stone tiles arranged to resemble reptilian scales
Hmm, I bet that's what she and her son fought about. She probably coddled him too much.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Honestly this set of gym leaders has been my favorite set since Gen 5! But if we are going for an absolute fave I'd go with Raihan since he uses Double Battles and Weather.

Piers is a close second with his importance to the story and Kabu being third.

One thing I do wish for an updated version is a chance to see some of the Minor League Leaders. Like perhaps a post-game story where they start a protest because they don't get enough coverage (with people like Leon and the major leaders getting all the glory) or it's revealed that Chairman Rose made it hard for the minor leaguers to move up. It could lead to some interesting battles not to mention some much needed character development for many of the characters we have been introduced to.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
A lot of them are great, definitely on par with Unova's gym leaders.

My favorites have to be Nessa and Piers. It was about damn time we got a Dark gym, here's hoping gen 9 has one too!
Least would be Opal. "Pink, pink, pink..." her successor is awesome though

I'm disappointed nothing came of the "Minor League" though. Maybe in the sequels we'll work for our endorsement by battling them?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Poor Kabu hasn't gotten a single vote. lol

Obviously, I'm not gonna pass up my boy Allister. However, I definitely want to give a close second to Piers. Not only was it a great match, I find him to be a very dope character. I would love to learn more about him.

DannyDark

I just really don't think Piers fit into the region very well.
Within a region where the Gym Challenge is a massively lucrative event, and with Dynamax being the driving force behind the popularity of the event... a Gym Leader that is seemingly allowed to shut off his town and whose Gym Trainers get in the way of Challengers, causing un-addressed yet massive disruption to the Gym Challenge, as well as not Dynamaxing , just wouldn't fly by the standards set within the narrative. It really didn't help that his town is a mere corridor, and his Gym Test is simply battling the same members of Team Yell you have been doing throughout the game.

Bede - Destroys a really terrible and unconvincing painting that hides the true royalty of Galar, gets dropped from the competition.

Team Yell - Unseen, yet presumed from their speech, interruption and blockage of all challengers that aren't Marnie so as to increase her chances of victory within the Gym Challenge. Even going as far as to close an entire town/corridor to prevent challengers from advancing. Yet, no punishment for Piers or Marnie.

Piers' actions were great, and he got a lot of screentime, though I admittedly also hated his design, but he just didn't fit in a region that was dictated by capitalism and competition.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I just really don't think Piers fit into the region very well.
Within a region where the Gym Challenge is a massively lucrative event, and with Dynamax being the driving force behind the popularity of the event... a Gym Leader that is seemingly allowed to shut off his town and whose Gym Trainers get in the way of Challengers, causing un-addressed yet massive disruption to the Gym Challenge, as well as not Dynamaxing , just wouldn't fly by the standards set within the narrative. It really didn't help that his town is a mere corridor, and his Gym Test is simply battling the same members of Team Yell you have been doing throughout the game.

Bede - Destroys a really terrible and unconvincing painting that hides the true royalty of Galar, gets dropped from the competition.

Team Yell - Unseen, yet presumed from their speech, interruption and blockage of all challengers that aren't Marnie so as to increase her chances of victory within the Gym Challenge. Even going as far as to close an entire town/corridor to prevent challengers from advancing. Yet, no punishment for Piers or Marnie.

Piers' actions were great, and he got a lot of screentime, though I admittedly also hated his design, but he just didn't fit in a region that was dictated by capitalism and competition.

I think Piers not fitting in with the other Gym Leaders was the entire point. Why else would he have not shown up for the opening ceremony?

Also, try reading Piers and Marnie's League Cards sometime. Those things tell you important things about the story that REALLY should've been told by the characters themselves; I think you'll gain more of an understanding of their characters if you do so.

DannyDark

I think Piers not fitting in with the other Gym Leaders was the entire point. Why else would he have not shown up for the opening ceremony?

Also, try reading Piers and Marnie's League Cards sometime. Those things tell you important things about the story that REALLY should've been told by the characters themselves; I think you'll gain more of an understanding of their characters if you do so.

Oh no I understand the stereotype/trope of the odd-one-out of the bunch.. And in any other game I'd find it fine.. But the Gym Challenge of Galar is the most public and regimented Gym system we've ever had and as such there's certain expectations of the Gym Leaders, I feel. There's an additional quality of marketability that has to be present that Piers lacks by his own admission; Spikemuth is dilapidated, unpopular and uses underhanded, I'd assume illegal by competition standards, which are also a thing as proven by Bede, tactics and as such by the rules of the competition as established they shouldn't be allowed.

Look at all the sponsorships on Leon's cape.. if those companies heard Spikemuth closed its gates and weren't allowing anyone to complete the Gym Challenge, Piers wasn't doing anything to help the situation and his Gym Trainers were going around preventing challengers from progressing.. do you think they'd be okay with that, or would they complain to Rose as their money was being wasted?

I have nothing against the trope that Piers fulfills, but I don't think it fits within this particular region beyond that of the inherent odd-one-out nature of the trope, it removes a sense of immersion when judged by the rules of the region that have been established.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It doesn't appear to me as Piers actually orchestrating all of that, but that Team Yell's decisions were done entirely by the grunts themselves. The way he spoke prior to his battle with the player character sounds like he didn't want Spikemuth closed off; he was unaware that the lack of challengers was because the grunts closed the gates and just blamed himself for not being flashy. Once you defeat Piers and he learns what Team Yell had been up to, Team Yell's activities cease completely (except for cheering on the player character after Marnie is eliminated).

He most certainly does not get along with Rose and possibly the other Gym Leaders, but I think Rose keeps him around because he is a talented Gym Leader (he is the 7th one you face, so presumably he is second only to Raihan in skill). Plenty of people dislike their jobs and their bosses know it but are kept around because they're just that good at it. I once worked at a medical clinic of which one of the doctors was like that. He didn't get along with the leadership, and they didn't get along with him. But he was their best doctor, able to treat things none of the other doctors could, and for that reason, he was paid the most (and could demand things under the threat of leaving).

And, of course, Piers does not use Dynamax because Spikemuth doesn't have a Power Spot. The fact that Rose had suggested multiple times in the past to move to a town that does have one indicates Rose tolerates keeping Piers around.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Absolutely Opal, I loved her design (which stood out so much for a Pokemon game) and the type she had mastery over was great.

Followed closely behind by Melony.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Oh no I understand the stereotype/trope of the odd-one-out of the bunch.. And in any other game I'd find it fine.. But the Gym Challenge of Galar is the most public and regimented Gym system we've ever had and as such there's certain expectations of the Gym Leaders, I feel. There's an additional quality of marketability that has to be present that Piers lacks by his own admission; Spikemuth is dilapidated, unpopular and uses underhanded, I'd assume illegal by competition standards, which are also a thing as proven by Bede, tactics and as such by the rules of the competition as established they shouldn't be allowed.

Look at all the sponsorships on Leon's cape.. if those companies heard Spikemuth closed its gates and weren't allowing anyone to complete the Gym Challenge, Piers wasn't doing anything to help the situation and his Gym Trainers were going around preventing challengers from progressing.. do you think they'd be okay with that, or would they complain to Rose as their money was being wasted?

I have nothing against the trope that Piers fulfills, but I don't think it fits within this particular region beyond that of the inherent odd-one-out nature of the trope, it removes a sense of immersion when judged by the rules of the region that have been established.

Piers doesn't fill a trope; this is genuinely part of his being.

Piers is in a deep depression, spawned from the increasing descent of his home throughout the years. He blames himself for his town's suffering; he even falls into self-doubt about his own skill as a trainer, despite being one of the top in the region. He is struggling to find self-love again, and his only saving grace is his sister, Marnie. Whatever love he has left he puts into her. That is why he created Team Yell, not to disrupt the league, but to exalt his sister from the suffering he [feels he] caused.

He's not a run-of-the-mill oddball, as all the other gym leaders and even Rose himself have much respect for him. All of Piers' abnormalities are from his own mind.

Orphalesion

Defenitely Opal for me, she's just awesomely creepy. Her appearing out of nowhere all the time...her getting upset if you guess her real age....and her reaction when she sees her successor.
"Pink!" "Pink!" "Definitely Pink!"

Actually, I think it WAS mentioned that he didn’t like Dynamax. But it was in the postgame, I believe...

Nah it's somewhere during the story itself. I beat his gym yesterday and either him or one of the Team Yell grunts says that he doesn't like Dynamax. Also gotta say I found his battle the hardest, I was down to my last Pokemon!

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know who Raihan reminds me of? Lance from Pokemon Adventures, specifically how Lance's dragons in the manga have great control over weather because Raihan's team is a team of "dragons" themed around weather.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I really liked Gordie and how he is a late game gym leader even though rock types are usually early game and very weak.I actually lost to him once due to me having my only water type (Barrasweda)and I had nothing to fight his Colossal with.I also think its cool how his league card says that he could be champion if he wanted to.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I can't believe I'm saying this... but I absolutely ADORE all the gym leaders this generation. The addition of League Cards was a brilliant move and I'm so grateful this batch was more varied and fleshed out than Alola's trial captains. They have such wonderful potential for interesting dynamics. I hope the anime doesn't overlook them and Adventures does them justice (though it likely will).