• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Galarian Regional Evolution?

Favorite cross generational evolution?

• Total voters

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Sword and Shield combined two past features, cross generational evolutions and regional forms, to make regional evolutions for old Pokémon. Which one of them is your favorite and why?

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'd say Obstagoon for its awesome heavy metal badger design and its solid stats. As much as I like the idea behind Runerigus, a spirit possessing an ancient rune stone, the design doesn't really do it for me. Mr. Rime has grown on me thanks to its stats, Charlie Chaplin inspired look and the memes about it, but I can't really see it as a Pokemon I'd ever use.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I really, REALLY dislike the fact that they made evolutions exclusive to regional variants, but if I had to pick a favourite of the lot, for right now I'd say Obstagoon. Not a fan of how it sticks it's tongue out, but it's beast like appearance appeals to me more than the other evolutions do. Sirfetch'd is OK, don't love it but I don't hate it, Cursola has a neat concept but I don't care for it otherwise and the other three I'm just flat out not a fan (I usually love cat Pokemon, but Perrserker just doesn't do it for me).

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Galarian Obstagoon and Galarian Weezing. Love their designs.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I like Sanigon (Cursola) because I think that the bleached coral concept is interesting, although I personally felt that Sanigon and the Galarian Sunnygo (Corsola) should've been Water/Ghost instead of pure Ghost-type.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I voted for Corsola in the other topic; I'd naturally vote for Cursola in this one too. I explained my reasons why in that one: I like Cursola from both an artistic standpoint (it looks like a more traditional colony of bleached coral, but it's actually a mass of ectoplasm holding up Cursola's small core; and from a gameplay standpoint, Cursola is about battling normally against special attackers but sacrificing itself against physical attackers).

I'm not crazy about Galarian Mr. Mime, but I sort of fell in love with Mr. Rime's jaunty little tap dance animation.

Mr. Rime's tap dance fits the Gym Leader theme very well. I used Mr. Rime for the team to go through the story (found a Galarian Mr. Mime raid midway through), and I couldn't help but stare in amusement at Mr. Rime's feet as the electronic music was playing.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
I voted for Cursola, because I love its design so much that I utilized it for a my playthrough of Pokémon Shield. I focuses mine more on the defensive side, with moves to try and offset its weakness to physical moves. I was just playing through the game, so I didn’t really look for anything special regarding moves or abilities, so I just rolled with the punches and that’s what I ended up with, even if it’s probably less-than optimal. I hear that Galarian Corsola with Eviolite is considered better than Cursola, so I guess I just evolved mine for personal tastes rather than battle application!

That’s not to sleep on Cursola’s capability in battle, though, as mine was plenty powerful and won me many important fights throughout the game. I would actually argue that it ended up being one of my MVPs for how well it performed. Even if it fainted, Cursola would have still provided support for the rest of the team that would allow them to get a better chance to still seize victory.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I kind of like the idea behind Cursola’s concept; it’s coral that was bleached by climate change, which is something that hasn’t really been touched upon in Pokémon, even though it’s such a hot topic in the real world.

I like Obstagoon’s “punk rocker” look, and the fact it kind of looks like a member of the band Kiss (some people might have also noticed this one). Mr. Rime kind of has that Charlie Chaplin vibe to him. ;)

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Cursola would be my vote, as I do quite enjoy it's design alot. And I vote G.Corsola as my favorite regional variant.

But Runerigus gets my vote for favorite regional Evo.

Namely cause I've always been mixed on Cafagrigus as it's just awkward looking to me. But Runerigus takes that awkwardness and makes it work much better. The broken tablet pieces making it almost like a psuedo transformer is fun too. Bonus points for it having a dual type too. Alot of desings I like this type ended up mono type, which is a bummer to me. So this Ghost/Ground type is great.

Kingudora

My favourite
A little rundown of my opinions on the regional evolutions in Galar:

Obstagoon:
I was pleasantly surprised when Obstagoon was revealed, if someone told me ten years ago that one of the regional rodents would get an evolution and no longer be stuck as a fully-evolved pokémon with a subpar BST, I wouldn't have believed them. Obstagoon has a very nice stat distribution, 93/101/81 are some solid defenses and its speed stat of 95 is higher than I expected. Its attack is a little low on its own, but all its abilities are able to boost it, with Guts being the best of the bunch. My only main negative critique would be of its appearance, Obstagoon's humanoid design looks a bit awkward and I think it would have looked better with less of the gray fur.
Rating: Excellent Punk Badger/10

Perrserker:
I must say I was a bit perplexed when I first saw Perrserker and wasn't sure how I felt about it, but it has certainly grown on me since. If we put nitpicking about viking helmets not actually having horns aside, I do think the alternate evolution idea of Perrserker is very interesting. I kinda like that it is so different from (both) Persian, its appearance makes it look like an even more feral and roughed-up version of Meowth. However, since Perrserker is more of an alternate evolution rather than an additional evolution, it shares Persian's rather lacklustre BST. Honestly, I think they should have increased (both) Persian's BST and also given Perrserker a higher BST to begin with.
Rating: Rowdy Viking Cat/10

Cursola:
I was so glad that Corsola finally got some love, even if in a somewhat unexpected way. But WOW is their concept depressing! Even if the lore for G. Corsola/Cursola mentions that their extinction happened way in the past in the Pokémon world, it is definitely edging too close of being Too Real. With that said, I'm still glad that they are giving attention to climate change and its effects. Statwise, Cursola has a really awkward stat distribution. Its Sp. Attack and Sp. Def are amazing, but its held back by its very low HP and Defense. And for some reason it has a somewhat high Attack stat. What? But what makes Cursola quite frustrating to use in battle, is its abilities. Weak Armor makes it really hard to face any physical attacker, the Defence loss also nullifies the benefit of Strength Sap. Its Hidden Ability is similarly frustrating, since the Perish Song effect will force you to switch out Cursola often. So I must say: please Game Freak, let Cursola have another ability.
Rating: Always Protect/10

Sirfetch'd:
Much like Corsola, Farfetch'd has also been in need of some love for a long time, and I'm glad we got it in the form of Sirfetch'd. I'm still slightly bummed that it isn't Fighting/Flying, but I can see how it makes sense, since neither G. Farfetch'd or Sirfetch'd can really put away their leek in their mouth anymore to be able to use their wings for flight. On the other hand, we have cases like Doduo/Dodrio that are Flying-type anyway. Statwise, Sirfetch'd is pretty solid, though I wish that it had slightly less Attack for a bit higher HP. Its movepool is definitely unusual compared to most other pure Fighting-type pokémon, but I also feel like it is missing some move options that most other Fighting pokémon have. Most notably I would say is the lack of Rock- and Ground-type moves.
Rating: Fantastic Gallant Knight Duck/10

Mr. Rime:
Somehow somewhat less cursed than Mr. Mime. I guess face torso is less creepy and unnerving than Mr. Mime's dead smile. With that said, Mr. Rime is indeed strange and confusing. G. Mr. Mime is faster than regular Mr. Mime, but as it evolves it becomes slower again. Huh? Also confusing is the fact that the Psychic/Fairy-type Mime Jr. becomes Ice/Psychic rather than Psychic/Ice as it evolves, effectively switching its primary type to be its secondary type, which I'm pretty sure is unprecedented. Mr. Rime's stat distribution is remarkably even, especially in contrast to regular Mr. Mime who had a very uneven stat distribution. This makes it so its Attack is actually its third highest stat, which is definitely strange. And Mr. Rime's movepool is very large, it has so many options available. It somehow even learns Slack Off. What.
Rating: Still Cursed/10

Runerigus:
I never knew I needed this cursed and possessed runestone pokémon so badly until Pokémon Sw/Sh. I adore its design, it is similar to Cofagrigus but somehow I just think it works better. With that said, I do have some critique about it. I think it is a bit boring that Runerigus got the same stat distribution as Cofagrigus, save for switching Attack and Sp. Attack. Also, being primarily a Physical attacker makes it somewhat awkward with its ability. In some battles you just end up switching Wandering Spirit back-and-forth, with Runerigus never actually being able to take advantage of the opponent's ability. And as a Physical attacker, it doesn't really have any options to raise its Attack stat, unlike Cofagrigus which has Calm Mind or Nasty Plot to raise its Sp. Attack. I really wish as well that it was Rock/Ghost-type instead, considering 1. we haven't had that combination before, and 2. it is based on a runestone, which are raised natural rocks that has had runes inscribed on them.
Rating: Why Not Rock-Type/10

Overall, I wish there had been a few more regional evolutions in Galar, perhaps one more alternate evolution like Perrserker/Runerigus and one more evolution like Cursola/Sirfetch'd of another pokémon in need of attention. I also hope that eventually that the regular forms recieve their own separate evolutions in later instalments, basically giving them evolutions like Perrserker/Runerigus but in reverse order.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
I voted for Corsola in the other topic; I'd naturally vote for Cursola in this one too. I explained my reasons why in that one: I like Cursola from both an artistic standpoint (it looks like a more traditional colony of bleached coral, but it's actually a mass of ectoplasm holding up Cursola's small core; and from a gameplay standpoint, Cursola is about battling normally against special attackers but sacrificing itself against physical attackers).

Mr. Rime's tap dance fits the Gym Leader theme very well. I used Mr. Rime for the team to go through the story (found a Galarian Mr. Mime raid midway through), and I couldn't help but stare in amusement at Mr. Rime's feet as the electronic music was playing.

I like Hitmontop for the same reason. I love to watch him shimmying back and forth to the beat of the gym theme. X)

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I'm not crazy about Galarian Mr. Mime, but I sort of fell in love with Mr. Rime's jaunty little tap dance animation.

I enjoyed that neat little animation when I first saw it. It really adds to the Pokémon’s charm. I like the regional evolutions a lot, with Cursola, Mr. Rime, and Runerigus standing out to me. I voted for Runerigus because I think it’s the most interesting. So cool how its rune stones move around and are arranged as a snake. I’m curious about the idea behind its evolution method and why it evolves when being damaged under that spot in Dusty Bowl.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I mentioned this in the original post but I am so glad they brought back cross generational evolutions even if they weren’t exactly how I wanted to see them return. Regional forms are cool but I could live without them.

I like Mr. Rime’s goofiness, Sirfetch’s smugness, Runerigus’s maliciousness, & Perrserker’s rowdiness (Cursola doesn’t do it for me : /), but my favorite is easily Obstagoon. It was the first cross generational we’ve seen for this gen so it already had a strong first impression. I love how it looks with the red eyes, exposed tongue, & crossed hands that fits with its obstruction theme. It having a staggering shout that can scare anything and how it purposely gets you riled up so it can counterattack you gives it a lot of character. Also have a great movepool and it hurts hard with STAB Guts boosted Facade after Bulk Up with surprising defenses and speed

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Sirfetch'd, for having a big personality and being something Farfetch'd sorely needed