• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite game from each generation

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I might have ripped this from IGN, but it was a good discussion thread. What is your favorite console this 7th-gen so far (from the DS to the PS3), favorite game from each generations, and what is your favorite game out of all the generations?
I didn't game from the 1st-3rd gen, but from 4th-now is when I started gaming.
Here are my favorites...

4th Gen: It's a tie between that TMNT fighting game, Donkey Kong Country 1, and X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, but overall, I'm gonna go with DKC for the SNES since it's the first game I've ever beaten, so I have a lot of memory of it.

5th gen: FFVIII... I loved FFVII, MGS1, and SM64, but FFVIII wins overall.

6th gen: Kingdom Hearts II. It was easier than KH, but it was still a pretty good game.

7th gen: Metal Gear Solid 4. The game went to 3rd-person view instead of 1,2 and 3's top-down view, but this game was just awesome. Interesting bosses, plenty of unlockables (podcasts, costumes, items, all for FREE), awesome story, cutscenes are long but nice to watch, and just plain fun. Was my only 3rd PS3 game, and I already loved it.

Overall though, DKC country gets my favorite game out of all gens so far. That game still has pretty awesome graphics, considering it came out over 20 (or around that) years ago for the SNES, and the game is still very fun and enjoyable.

Now that I've shared mines, what are yours?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Don't know and haven't played any 1s or 2nd generation games in depth but anyways, here we go…

3rd generation: Kid Icarus: it's just a unique platformer and stands out a lot

4th generation: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: a cute, adorable, challenging, beautiful, and expansive platformer

5th Generation::Zekrom (just pulling your leg), Super Mario 64: an outstanding 3D platformer even to this day (although it isn't as good as the more 3D Mario platformers), but boy, was it an amazing adventure

6th Generation: Pikmin 2: the sequel to a game with a mind blowing formula, expanding on this formula, this game revamps and adds new twists to the formula giving more unique challenges and a lot more fun, THAT MULTIPLAYER

7th generation: The Legend of Zelda: Syward Sword: HATERS GONNA HATE!

Yeah…I'm a Nintendo fanboy but it's mainly due to the other systems features and majority of exclusive games, don't appeal to me that much. Can't wait for the Wii U!

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
7th generation: The Legend of Zelda: Syward Sword: HATERS GONNA HATE!

I loved everything about Skyward Sword, except for the graphics. To me, Wind Waker, a Gamecube game, looked more cleaner, crisper, and has a better artsyle than Skyward Sword... Maybe it was my HDTV, but SS had a lot of jaggies, and some of the textures in some spots are really horrible.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
3rd - Super Mario Bros.

4th - Tales of Phantasia

5th - Tales of Destiny/Tales of Eternia

6th - Tales of the Abyss/Tales of Rebirth

7th - Tales of Vesperia

Yes, I am a Tales Fanboy.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Fourth Generation - Super Mario World (SNES)

Fifth Generation - Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)

Sixth Generation - Final Fantasy X (PS2)

Seventh Generation - Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox360)

Espeonic

Hero of Winds
Third Generation - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES): My favorite platfomer, and my second favorite video game of all time. Though I've only really played later versions of this game, I'm counting it for this, anyway.

Fourth Generation - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES): My second favorite platfomer, even if it's ridiculously difficult.

Fifth Generation - Pokémon Puzzle League (N64): It's such an addictive game. XD

Sixth Generation - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube): It's my third favorite game of all time, and I absolutely love it.

Seventh Generation - Sonic Unleashed (PS3): Quite possibly the most underrated game ever.

Chris

Old Coot
Sonic Unleashed (PS3): Quite possibly the most underrated game ever.
Please tell me that you're joking and not seriously trying to say Sonic Unleashed is the most underrated game of all time.

Mankanshoku Mako

Gen 3: Mother/Earthbound Zero

Gen 4: Mother 2/Earthbound

Gen 5: Paper Mario

Gen 6: Tie between Mother 3 and Super Mario Sunshine

Gen 7: Pokemon Platinum

Gen 8: Super Mario 3D Land

Rezzo

Occasionally
3rd Gen: Super Mario Bros. 3. What can I say. Classic Super Mario Bros, and this was arguably the best of the ones from this generation.

4th Gen: Sonic the Hedgehog / Sonic & Knuckles. Can't beat those two. Much of my early childhood was spend on the first 4 Sonic games and trying to beat them. I still never managed to finish any other than Sonic 3 ;_;

5th Gen: Metal Gear Solid. It introduced cinematics into video games, had awesome gameplay, a great story and characters.

6th Gen: I don't have a favourite 6th generation game. My list is more than 3 games that can't decide between.But if I had to pick on a matter of life & death, then I'd have to go with Burnout 3: Takedown.

7th Gen: Super Mario Galaxy. I ****ing love this game for reasons 99% of you already know about, because you've played it.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
5th Gen: Metal Gear Solid. It introduced cinematics into video games, had awesome gameplay, a great story and characters.

I really do like MGS. I had the same thing for my favourite 5th gen game to. But...

PFFFFt what. It's not the first game with cinematics.

Abstinence Pistols

Oh yeah, totally. Just like the underrated classic Duke Nukem Forever right?

Dude, I loved that game!

What part did you like? The part where you get to pick up poop and throw it at walls, or all of the linear corridors?

Anyway, I'm totally confused about what constitutes each generation, so I'll just say my favorite classic game is Earthbound Zero, my favorite SNES game is Earthbound, and my favorite game from this "generation" has to be Bioshock 2, Portal 2, or Team Fortress 2.

I probably need to play some better games tbh.

Abstinence Pistols

Yeah pick up the 1st Bioshock when you get the chance as it's much better than 2.

Everyone says so. I really like the second so far, I'll probably buy the first soon.

One reason I bought the second was that from the little bit I played of the first, it had an almost Dead Space-esque feel to it; that being, you really don't have much physical interaction with sentient human beings, other than the ones that you have to shoot.

I could be totally wrong, though.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Seventh Generation - Sonic Unleashed (PS3): Quite possibly the most underrated game ever.
You know, I'm fine with you liking games that have gotten poor reviews. As for other people…good luck standing proudly beside your opinion.