1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Gen 1 Gym Leader?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Wednesdayz, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

He was underrated from my point of view. While he wasn't exactly the most interesting Kanto Gym Leader, I thought that his Gym puzzle was among the most amusing ones in R/G/B/Y. I just loved the invisible wall set up.

2. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

Other than Misty or Brock, I rly like Blaine since I always have a lot of water types, he was so easy to beat XD

3. Judge Mandolore Shepard

Judge Mandolore Shepard Spectre Agent

When it comes to my favorite 1st gen gym leaders, here are my favorites:

Brock
    Misty
    Lt. Surge
    Koga
    Sabrina
    Blaine
    Giovanni

4. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've always felt the same way about Koga's Gym puzzle. I don't know, I just think the invisible walls are cool.
    I liked how the outlines of the walls were visible, since it really helped me get through the Gym for the first time (don't think I would've had the patience back then to find my way through the Gym if they were totally invisible). So, I've always liked Koga for having an easy puzzle. :p even if my first Gym battle against him on Yellow was really hard

5. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

My favourite Kanto Gym Leaders are probably Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika and Blaine. Misty was a kind of tomboyish mermaid (like her description on the Gym board), Lt. Surge obviously had his Raichu, Erika's badge is colourful like a rainbow, and Blaine has his volcano Gym and riddles. :D

Let's also not forget that Lt. Surge's Raichu in the anime sent Ash's Pikachu to hospital. ;025; ;026;

6. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Speaking of which, I didn't like that his team in Yellow version only contained a Raichu. I know why that was the case of course, but to me that match wasn't as much of a challenge with only one opposing Pokemon.

7. Cíconne

Cíconne Banned

Erika. I like her design and personality, and she likes flowers, which I do too so that makes me like her even more. My other favorites are Misty and Sabrina.

8. gentwoer

gentwoer Well-Known Member

Sabrina if we're talking strictly the anime. In the games probably Giovanni because it was cool that the big bad was the last boss bottle. The problem is in the gen 1 game the Kanto gym leaders were pretty damn dull and uninteresting (I think gen 3 and 4 tried to give them personality and characteristics)

9. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

Definitely Blaine. I love that gym. His whole persona. Everything.

10. Giovanni truly feels like a boss of course, but personally, i found Sabrina to be my favorite in the pokemon game aswell for two resons:

1: In the 1st gen, psychic pokemon are arguably the strongest type all-around, thus making the encounter quite challenging.

2: Being locked behind the Silph Spa side mission, made everything feel like a whole big gym altogether. Like, contrary to most towns, where you can get inside the gym right away (exception made for Blaine and Giovanni), here you must go through a quite long and intense part of the story, which culminates with the gym leader fight eventually.

11. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

I don't find any designs in the first generation to be very interesting (even when considering their offical character designs from back then), so it makes this decision tougher, in my opinion. But I do love Erika purely because of the animé episode that featured her and her Gloom. It's always been one of my favorites and makes me really like her in the game for some reason. I also love Celadon, and there aren't many Gym Leaders in Kanto who also live in a city that I really enjoy. Blaine would be a close second to that, and then maybe Koga.

12. Yeah they were much colder and less colorfull compared to the latest generations, although that could be the reason why i found them so scary and imposing at the time. No compelling design apart from some features here and there, you had to fight people you could very easily find in real life references or even everyday life: a martial artist, a swimmer, a soldier, a maiden, a ninja (cosplay wise), a dominatrix, an old man and a mafia boss.

Though i got some nostalgia kickin in aswell with those gym leaders, so it may be a bit biased as opinion.

13. Hydrole

Hydrole New Member

I'm honestly in a tie with Giovanni and Sabrina. Giovanni because I had lots of fun training to beat him and battling him, and Sabrina because Psychic type is my FAVORITE type. Weird that Nidoking's my favorite Pokemon though, even though I love Psychic types.

14. gentwoer

is dominatrix really what you got out of Sabrina's character design?

15. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Well, considering Gen 1's apparent obsession with whips...

16. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

The thing that irked me regarding Sakaki (Giovanni) was that the Gym match against him didn't allow for much training time since there weren't any good places between the 7th Gym and 8th Gym in which to train easily.

17. LanceAndMissingNo.

LanceAndMissingNo. Ow! That's tragic!

If I have to choose one, I choose between Brock, Sabrina or Giovanni. I like the idea of secret leader in Gen 1, surprisingly the Team Rocket Leader, Giovanni.

18. gentwoer

A couple of trainer classes and Sabrina have whips in their character design and the anime had AJ. I wouldn't call that an obsession per say.

19. LadyTriox

LadyTriox SHE'S SO KAWAII NEEEEEEE

...My least favorite leader set.

I think Erika is pretty cool, in the games, anyways, though, since her gym has a 'girl power' theme to it^^

I guess she was okay in the anime too. I didn't like her snubbery, but i do relate to her wanting to stick up for something girly like perfume.

I'm sick of my insecurities about my girlyness anyways o.o

Yep.....I'm gonna go with Erika :3 Girl power!

20. Chatotalks

Chatotalks New Member

Oh I loved blaine & sabrina because brute force got me & my level 50 ;003; nowhere, so with sabrina my stupid little self threw my ;003; at her until I won but with blaine I brought a ;111; with me