• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Gen 1 Gym Leader?

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The Gen 1 games gave us several cool Gym Leaders to battle against: Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, and Giovanni.

Which ones were your favorites? Please explain your choice(s) a little.

My absolute favorite of the lot was Misty since she specialized in my favorite type of Pokemon, and if I had to choose a second one, I'd choose Giovanni simply because he was tough.

Alloutℯ

Banned
My favorite Kanto GL was Brock, because of his type specialty (Rock types) and his slanted eyes, which I always found charming.

Kalosian

So long
Erika for me. I like flowers so a Gym Leader who likes flowers is something I see as positive. Then she seems like a rather calm and collected person which I like as well.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
For me, it is a tie between Misty and Sabrina, because the former uses Water type, which is my favourite type, and the latter is very mysterious due to her powers she had even as a child.

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
I'd have to choose Sabrina, she was very tough for me to beat, especially her Alakazam.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'd have to go with Erika as my top pick from R/B/Y cuz she had an elegant design and I liked how she had a quirk involving her dozing off hee hee. I also liked Blaine, mainly cuz his gym's quiz questions were fun to solve and his gym was really original. :]

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
My pick had to be Lt. Surge because of his brash, no-holds barred personality and his powerhouse, Raichu. Once he treated you badly, the feeling that comes after you beat him is satisfying.

Aquarelle

Staff member
There's not really one Kanto Gym Leader I like more than the others, but I'll go with Blaine today. The Fire type was my favourite back in the day (before being replaced by Water) and I loved how his Gym puzzle is a quiz. Having a Gym on an island instead of the mainland like the others is something else that I always liked for some reason.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I really like Erika's gracefulness compared to the other Kanto gym leaders. Her Pokémon and gym design complemented her calmness well.

NPT

Just a member
I'm going with Sabrina. She's a real tough cookie to beat in the Gen 1 games. I lost to her Alakazam five times in a row back when I was playing Pokémon Blue for the first time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'll go with Kasumi this time, although frankly my fondness of her stems from the anime mainly. I liked her in Red/Green/Blue/Yellow as well, but she wasn't as dynamic in the games as she was in the television show.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Sabrina and her gym were a fun experience, in my opinion. The portals in her gym were a challenge to get through, and I also thought it was cool how she was able to read your mind.

Cat's Eye Draco

Blaine, mostly because of his quiz machines. (I always battled anyway, but the quizzes were kind of a fun alternative.) I've always liked Sabrina as well, though I've never quite gotten the hang of her gym's warp tile puzzle.

Last edited:

CrimsonAce777

Sabrina's gym was a pain, but it made her memorable. Overall I'd say blaine, because of the gimmick of his gym, and secondly Giovanni because his gym has sweet loot in it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sabrina and her gym were a fun experience, in my opinion. The portals in her gym were a challenge to get through, and I also thought it was cool how she was able to read your mind.

Natsume/Sabrina had my favorite Kanto Gym puzzle, although I wish that her psychic powers had actually been relevant to the Gym match, as in her AI should've been given an edge by predicting which moves we would use against her Pokemon.