• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Gen 1 Gym Leader?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I loved Koga for some reason :p

He was underrated from my point of view. While he wasn't exactly the most interesting Kanto Gym Leader, I thought that his Gym puzzle was among the most amusing ones in R/G/B/Y. I just loved the invisible wall set up.

Aquarelle

Staff member
He was underrated from my point of view. While he wasn't exactly the most interesting Kanto Gym Leader, I thought that his Gym puzzle was among the most amusing ones in R/G/B/Y. I just loved the invisible wall set up.
I've always felt the same way about Koga's Gym puzzle. I don't know, I just think the invisible walls are cool.
I liked how the outlines of the walls were visible, since it really helped me get through the Gym for the first time (don't think I would've had the patience back then to find my way through the Gym if they were totally invisible). So, I've always liked Koga for having an easy puzzle. :p even if my first Gym battle against him on Yellow was really hard

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My favourite Kanto Gym Leaders are probably Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika and Blaine. Misty was a kind of tomboyish mermaid (like her description on the Gym board), Lt. Surge obviously had his Raichu, Erika's badge is colourful like a rainbow, and Blaine has his volcano Gym and riddles. :D

Let's also not forget that Lt. Surge's Raichu in the anime sent Ash's Pikachu to hospital. ;025; ;026;

Leonhart

Imagineer
Let's also not forget that Lt. Surge's Raichu in the anime sent Ash's Pikachu to hospital. ;025; ;026;

Speaking of which, I didn't like that his team in Yellow version only contained a Raichu. I know why that was the case of course, but to me that match wasn't as much of a challenge with only one opposing Pokemon.

Cíconne

Banned
Erika. I like her design and personality, and she likes flowers, which I do too so that makes me like her even more. My other favorites are Misty and Sabrina.

gentwoer

Sabrina if we're talking strictly the anime. In the games probably Giovanni because it was cool that the big bad was the last boss bottle. The problem is in the gen 1 game the Kanto gym leaders were pretty damn dull and uninteresting (I think gen 3 and 4 tried to give them personality and characteristics)

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Definitely Blaine. I love that gym. His whole persona. Everything.

Sabrina if we're talking strictly the anime. In the games probably Giovanni because it was cool that the big bad was the last boss bottle. The problem is in the gen 1 game the Kanto gym leaders were pretty damn dull and uninteresting (I think gen 3 and 4 tried to give them personality and characteristics)

Giovanni truly feels like a boss of course, but personally, i found Sabrina to be my favorite in the pokemon game aswell for two resons:

1: In the 1st gen, psychic pokemon are arguably the strongest type all-around, thus making the encounter quite challenging.

2: Being locked behind the Silph Spa side mission, made everything feel like a whole big gym altogether. Like, contrary to most towns, where you can get inside the gym right away (exception made for Blaine and Giovanni), here you must go through a quite long and intense part of the story, which culminates with the gym leader fight eventually.

Manchee

extra toasty
I don't find any designs in the first generation to be very interesting (even when considering their offical character designs from back then), so it makes this decision tougher, in my opinion. But I do love Erika purely because of the animé episode that featured her and her Gloom. It's always been one of my favorites and makes me really like her in the game for some reason. I also love Celadon, and there aren't many Gym Leaders in Kanto who also live in a city that I really enjoy. Blaine would be a close second to that, and then maybe Koga.

I don't find any designs in the first generation to be very interesting (even when considering their offical character designs from back then), so it makes this decision tougher, in my opinion.

Yeah they were much colder and less colorfull compared to the latest generations, although that could be the reason why i found them so scary and imposing at the time. No compelling design apart from some features here and there, you had to fight people you could very easily find in real life references or even everyday life: a martial artist, a swimmer, a soldier, a maiden, a ninja (cosplay wise), a dominatrix, an old man and a mafia boss.

Though i got some nostalgia kickin in aswell with those gym leaders, so it may be a bit biased as opinion.

Hydrole

I'm honestly in a tie with Giovanni and Sabrina. Giovanni because I had lots of fun training to beat him and battling him, and Sabrina because Psychic type is my FAVORITE type. Weird that Nidoking's my favorite Pokemon though, even though I love Psychic types.

gentwoer

Yeah they were much colder and less colorfull compared to the latest generations, although that could be the reason why i found them so scary and imposing at the time. No compelling design apart from some features here and there, you had to fight people you could very easily find in real life references or even everyday life: a martial artist, a swimmer, a soldier, a maiden, a ninja (cosplay wise), a dominatrix, an old man and a mafia boss.

Though i got some nostalgia kickin in aswell with those gym leaders, so it may be a bit biased as opinion.

is dominatrix really what you got out of Sabrina's character design?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
is dominatrix really what you got out of Sabrina's character design?

Well, considering Gen 1's apparent obsession with whips...

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm honestly in a tie with Giovanni and Sabrina. Giovanni because I had lots of fun training to beat him and battling him, and Sabrina because Psychic type is my FAVORITE type. Weird that Nidoking's my favorite Pokemon though, even though I love Psychic types.

The thing that irked me regarding Sakaki (Giovanni) was that the Gym match against him didn't allow for much training time since there weren't any good places between the 7th Gym and 8th Gym in which to train easily.

LanceAndMissingNo.

Ow! That's tragic!
If I have to choose one, I choose between Brock, Sabrina or Giovanni. I like the idea of secret leader in Gen 1, surprisingly the Team Rocket Leader, Giovanni.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
...My least favorite leader set.

I think Erika is pretty cool, in the games, anyways, though, since her gym has a 'girl power' theme to it^^

I guess she was okay in the anime too. I didn't like her snubbery, but i do relate to her wanting to stick up for something girly like perfume.

I'm sick of my insecurities about my girlyness anyways o.o

Yep.....I'm gonna go with Erika :3 Girl power!

Chatotalks

Oh I loved blaine & sabrina because brute force got me & my level 50 ;003; nowhere, so with sabrina my stupid little self threw my ;003; at her until I won but with blaine I brought a ;111; with me