• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Gen 1 Gym Leader?

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I would have to say a tie between Brock and Sabrina. I liked them both in the cartoon so maybe my impression of them in the games is impacted by that. Sabrina has a cool design in the Kanto remake games and Brock's always been a pretty chill kind of guy.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Erika mainly for the set up of her Gym and her appearance. I’ve always liked kimonos and seeing Erika dressed in a traditional one was very interesting to see and really set her apart from all the other Gym Leaders except Giovanni.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
I would have to say a tie between Brock and Sabrina. I liked them both in the cartoon so maybe my impression of them in the games is impacted by that. Sabrina has a cool design in the Kanto remake games and Brock's always been a pretty chill kind of guy.

I think my opinion of Natsume (Sabrina) is influenced by the anime as well. She wasn't spectacular in the games as far as I can remember, although I do remember that her team in Red and Blue had a random Morphon (Venomoth) for whatever reason. That always irked me.

TwilightBlade

I will say Misty as of right now because I like her design in the Gen 1 series, but I also think that Erika and Sabrina look cool. Out of the male gym leaders, Blaine is my favourite because of his bald look.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I like Giovanni and how he uses being a gym leader as a cover for being the boss of Team Rocket.I also usually really like the final gym leader of a region.The only problem is that you can easily beat his team by using practicaly any water type.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
Out of the male gym leaders, Blaine is my favourite because of his bald look.

Speaking of him, I've always preferred his completely bald with sunglasses design from the late Gen I era as seen in Ken Sugimori's artwork from the Gym Leader TCG sets as opposed to his first design that had some hair, which was rather boring to look at.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Speaking of him, I've always preferred his completely bald with sunglasses design from the late Gen I era as seen in Ken Sugimori's artwork from the Gym Leader TCG sets as opposed to his first design that had some hair, which was rather boring to look at.

I don't remember what Blaine's first design looked like. I only remember how he looked like in the cartoon when he took off his wig and then what he looked like in the trading card game.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
I don't remember what Blaine's first design looked like. I only remember how he looked like in the cartoon when he took off his wig and then what he looked like in the trading card game.

Katsura's (Blaine's) design from the anime is basically what his first Ken Sugimori design looked like. I don't have an image, but I remember seeing his old design in one of the R/G/B/Y era guidebooks.

Sakuyamon

Liked Koga, Blaine and Giovanni

1. Koga because he's a ninja and those are awesome. Also his poison strategy was smart and effective.
  2. Blaine because he had the funnest gym puzzle with those quiz machines and really cool sunglasses.
  3. Giovanni because he was foreshadowed early in the game and he was the boss of Team Rocket.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Liked Koga, Blaine and Giovanni

1. Koga because he's a ninja and those are awesome. Also his poison strategy was smart and effective.
  2. Blaine because he had the funnest gym puzzle with those quiz machines and really cool sunglasses.
  3. Giovanni because he was foreshadowed early in the game and he was the boss of Team Rocket.

Katsura's (Blaine's) Gym puzzle was rather entertaining, although I purposely got the answers wrong sometimes so that I could defeat the Gym trainers inside the Gym for some extra experience. I also really liked how Sakaki (Giovanni) was technically the first Gym Leader that we heard about in R/G/B/Y, although not the first one we battled.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Sabrina was the best one although I remember getting all confused because I didn't understand the right order of the Kanto gym leaders when I played Blue lol. Also her gym badge name is stupid.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Sabrina was the best one although I remember getting all confused because I didn't understand the right order of the Kanto gym leaders when I played Blue lol. Also her gym badge name is stupid.

The order of the Gym Leaders in Gen I was a bit confusing to me as well, and as for her Gym badge, I always assumed that Nintendo got her badge mixed up with Kyou's (Koga's).

Noa

Pokemon Crystal is my happy place
Erika, she is a perfect mix of pretty girl and strong leader. I also like how her gym is full of cute girls and nice smelling flowers. She's really living her best life.