• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Gen 1 Gym Leader?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Brock because I've seen him so much in the anime that I'm so used to him. Sabrina and Giovanni are also some of my favorites behind Brock.

I like how Brock seems all tough and hard in his Gym (as seen in the anime episode where Ash battles him), but outside, he has a softer side and wants to become a Pokémon Breeder.

TheAngryRanter

Dumbest Poke Player EVER
Hmmm...I would have to say that my favourite Kanto GL is LT Surge. There is something about the puzzle layout of the gym I always liked (even if as a child it frustrated me) and the fact that he offered a fair challenge based on where you would often be level wise by that point in the game!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emboar_Rulez said:
I really wish gen 1 had a gym rematch mode.It would be cool to see them with full teams

I heard a rumor that Gym Leader rematches were originally planned in Red and Green, as well as rematches against other NPCs just by walking by them in the overworld. In particular, Gym Leader rematches in Gen I would've been a great way to level up our teams.

Mr.Fiend

Everything stinks
It makes me curious on what their final teams would be
Taking a wild guess on what there teams would've been.

Brock: Golem lv63, Aerodactyl lv63, Omastar lv63, Kabutops lv63, Onix lv65

Misty: Blastoise lv63, Lapras lv63, Vaporeon lv63, Gyarados lv63, Starmie lv65

Lt.Surge: Magneton lv63, Jolteon lv63, Electabuzz lv63, Electrode lv63, Raichu lv65

Erika: Tangela lv63, Parasect lv63, Venusaur lv63, Victreebel lv65, Vileplume lv65

Koga: Venomoth lv63, Golbat lv63, Tentacruel lv63, Muk lv63, Weezing lv65

Sabrina: Jynx lv63, Mr. Mime lv63, Hypno lv63, Slowbro lv63, Alakazam lv65

Blaine: Charizard lv63, Flareon lv63, Magmar lv63, Rapidash lv63, Arcanine lv65

Giovanni: Sandslash lv65, Dugtrio lv65, Nidoqueen lv65, Nidoking lv65, Rhydon lv67

For the heck of it, lets add rematches with the elite 4 + blue.

Lorelei: Dewgong lv71, Cloyster lv71, Jynx, lv71, Slowbro lv71, Lapras Lv73

Bruno: Golem lv73, Rhydon lv73, Hitmonlee lv73, Hitmonchan lv73, Machamp lv75

Agatha: Arbok Lv75, Golbat lv75, Marowak lv75, Gengar lv75, Gengar lv77

Lance: Gyarados lv77, Areodactyl lv77, Charizard lv77, Dragonite lv77, Dragonite lv79

Blue(Grass): Dodrio lv81, Alakazam lv81, Nidoking lv81, Exeggutor lv81, Gyarados lv81, Charizard lv83

Blue(Water): Dodrio lv81, Alakazam lv81, Nidoking lv81, Gyarados lv81, Arcanine lv81, Venusaur lv83

Blue(Fire): Dodrio lv81, Alakazam lv81, Nidoking lv81, Exeggutor lv81, Arcanine lv81, Blastoise lv83

Last edited:

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Taking a wild guess on what there teams would've been.

Brock: Golem lv63, Aerodactyl lv63, Omastar lv63, Kabutops lv63, Onix lv65

Misty: Blastoise lv63, Lapras lv63, Vaporeon lv63, Gyarados lv63, Starmie lv65

Lt.Surge: Magneton lv63, Jolteon lv63, Electabuzz lv63, Electrode lv63, Raichu lv65

Erika: Tangela lv63, Parasect lv63, Venusaur lv63, Victreebel lv65, Vileplume lv65

Koga: Venomoth lv63, Golbat lv63, Tentacruel lv63, Muk lv63, Weezing lv65

Sabrina: Jynx lv63, Mr. Mime lv63, Hypno lv63, Slowbro lv63, Alakazam lv65

Blaine: Charizard lv63, Flareon lv63, Magmar lv63, Rapidash lv63, Arcanine lv65

Giovanni: Sandslash lv65, Dugtrio lv65, Nidoqueen lv65, Nidoking lv65, Rhydon lv67

For the heck of it, lets add rematches with the elite 4 + blue.

Lorelei: Dewgong lv71, Cloyster lv71, Jynx, lv71, Slowbro lv71, Lapras Lv73

Bruno: Golem lv73, Rhydon lv73, Hitmonlee lv73, Hitmonchan lv73, Machamp lv75

Agatha: Arbok Lv75, Golbat lv75, Marowak lv75, Gengar lv75, Gengar lv77

Lance: Gyarados lv77, Areodactyl lv77, Charizard lv77, Dragonite lv77, Dragonite lv79

Blue(Grass): Dodrio lv81, Alakazam lv81, Nidoking lv81, Exeggutor lv81, Gyarados lv81, Charizard lv83

Blue(Water): Dodrio lv81, Alakazam lv81, Nidoking lv81, Gyarados lv81, Arcanine lv81, Venusaur lv83

Blue(Fire): Dodrio lv81, Alakazam lv81, Nidoking lv81, Exeggutor lv81, Arcanine lv81, Blastoise lv83

I feel like they wouldn’t use a statarter and would use a full team.Sicne there’s not six of each type I would just have them have two of certain Pokémon.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Misty by elimination, I don’t like the other gym leaders.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I really wish gen 1 had a gym rematch mode.It would be cool to see them with full teams

Do FR/LG and Let's Go have Gym Leader rematches? I didn't play those games.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Giovanni, I thought he was really cool as a kid. Now I think Surge is good just because he adds to the lore in interesting ways.

The Gen 1 Gym Leaders seem to have more mystery to them than Gym Leaders in subsequent generations. What was the war Surge fought in? How did he end up in Kanto if he's the "Lightning American"? And is he originally from Unova or Alola?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
First one who came to mind was Brock. I do not know why. Maybe because his gym is early in the games, so I was still getting used to how the game worked, & I was still excited just to have the game.

Or perhaps it's because I replayed his gym a dozen or more times, on a used copy of Yellow version we got a few years later. It had a bad battery, so I'd take it on long car rides, replaying the 1st part over & over.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Misty, Sabrina and Erika are my favorites. I don't know why I like them so much but the male Kanto Gym leaders aren't as good. Blaine looks kind of funny though lol.

I also usually prefer the females out of any set of Gym Leaders (or Trial Captains in Alola). Maybe it's because I'm a girl myself and the girls tend to have better-looking designs in general? But some notable exceptions for me are Bugsy, Brawly, Wallace, Roark, Drayden, Wulfric, Kiawe, Milo and Raihan.

Last edited:

Shinruna

Rose of Fire
Erika...! She looks/sounds sweet and always appears in kimono, which I can't help but see as a perfect figure of harmony. I'm also a huge fan of her gyms' schematics and decorations, specifically if we're talking about HG/SS where the place itself almost looks like a fragrant gingerbread castle covered in flowers.