• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Gen 2 Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Espeon - and its still my favorite Pokémon overall.

I've always been a sucker for Eeveelutions, and this sleek, elegant, mystical, very cat-like addition to the family stole my heart right away. I was also coming off the Gen I mentality of "PSYCHIC-TYPES ARE INCREDIBLE!!!", so that just made Espeon even more appealing in my eyes. It's a shame that its Gen II sprites didn't really do its design justice (the overly-rounded ears always bugged me.)

Honorable mentions: the Cyndaquil family, the Mareep family, Scizor, Houndour+Houndoom, Phanpy+Donphan, Suicune...and many more, but I'll stop myself there.

Star Champion AJ

For me, my Gen II favourites are:
Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos: They are the best Electric-types of Johto, available early, cute and in HGSS, Ampharos can learn some coverage moves like Signal Beam or Power Gem.
Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss: One of the cutest (if not THE cutest) Pokémon ever and HGSS make it even more useful with the in-game Togepi getting Extrasensory right at the beginning. Also Gen III introduces Serene Grace, Gen IV introduces Togekiss and in Gen VI, the Togepi line gets a type change (from Normal to Fairy).
Espeon: My favourite Eeveelution, cute as hell and one of the best Eeveelutions available (Sylveon stole the spotlight).

Gutsman

Indigo Champion
Smeargle's kinda cool... right?

In all seriousness though I do like the Larvitar line, as well as a lot of the Gen 1 evos/prevos.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I liked Delibird's design as well, just not the fact that it could only learn Present via level up. I wish it could've learned more moves naturally since Present was so gimmicky.

Same with me. I usually like Pokémon for their design and lore rather than for their potential in battle, so it doesn't really bother me.

Delibird is still a great Pokémon for Christmas :)

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
My favorite Gen 2 Pokémon are the Totodile evolutionary members. Umbreon and Espeon. & Ho-Oh.

Totodile and family look tough and strong and I've always enjoyed them.

Umbreon and Espeon have some of the best looking Eevee. :)

Ho-Oh, well, I've loved since episode 1.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
To be honest, I kind of favored Smeargle. Despite lacking offensive capabilities, Sketch was a nice move so that it could learn a variety of moves and by giving it the right moves, it had various uses such as catching Pokémon, like one with False Swipe, Spore and Mean Look.

Innocentmercy

Gosh. I have so much I like-

- The three starters
- Espeon and Umbreon
- CROBAT
- Lugia
- Blissey

etc

The designs are very cool, and I especially like Crobat for being so awesome on it's design.

Tsunami16

I like Espeon because it was my workhorse. Espeon + Bite leveled most of the E4.
I loved Xatu's and Ampharos' design, and use both every now and then.
Heracross was strong, but it had a terrible learnset. Seriously? No Karate Chop?
Skarmory had a great design.

Mikosage

Umbreon, hands down.

Not only is it an awesome design, it's very tough and I could always rely on it.

A close runner up would be Belossom. I think it's adorable.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I honestly think that GenII is my favorite generation in terms of designs. Off the top of my head:

Chiko, Bayleef, Meganium, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Sentret
Furret, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Ledyba, Ledian, Spinarak, Ariados, Crobat, Dunsparce, Wobbuffet
Togepi, Togetic, Wooper, Quagsire, Natu, Xatu, Smeargle, Unown, Aipom, Heracross
Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Slowking, Politoed, Pineco, Forretress
Snubbull, Granbull, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Yanma, Qwilfish, Sunkern, Sunflora, Bellossom
Sudowoodo, Shuckle, Stantler, Miltank, Umbreon, Espeon, Steelix, Scizor, Corsola, Mantine
Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Marill, Azumarill, Girafarig, Kingdra, Porygon-2
Swinub, Piloswine, Delibird, Sneasel, Phanpy, Donphan, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Gligar, Skarmory
Chinchou, Lanturn, Remoraid, Octillery, Slugma, Magcargo, Houndour, Houndoom, Murkrow, Misdreavus
Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi

And no, I didn't need a list to write them all down. But, they're not all my favorite, but a lot are quite memorable to me.

Whenever I play Crystal, these are the ones that usually end up being on the team:
- Croconaw, Heracross, Elekid, Houndour (<- don't ask how..)

Houndour is my favorite Johto pokémon by miles.

If I had to pick twenty, barring favorite legendaries (which is just Entei, Raikou and Lugia).. Well, that still is a big list..

Typhlosion, Croconaw, Spinarak, Crobat,
Heracross, Granbull, Yanma, Qwilfish,
Sudowoodo, Umbreon, Steelix, Elekid,
Tyrogue, Piloswine, Sneasel, Donphan,
Gligar, Skarmory, Houndour, Murkrow,

Shame Sneasel didn't become usable until Gen 4.

This.. But in general, Johto has two problems. One is the inexplicable lack of an area to train your team. And second, the distribution of certain pokémon. At least Crystal saved Sneasel and put it in the Ice Path, instead of being condemned to Route 28/Mt.Silver like Misdreavus..

Kingdra, water/dragon with not a lot of weakness is one of my favorite gen 2 pokemon.

I hate Kingdra. Not because I dislike its design, but gah.. It was the 250th pokémon I added in my Pokédex on Silver. I had a bad time getting somebody to trade with. I think I've only had a Kingdra once afterwards.

Lugia, easily within my top ten overall at least. It's really elegant yet has this "edge" to it that makes it seem cooler than any other Gen 2 Pokemon, while the color scheme is great too. It probably helps that it resembles a dinosaur and a dragon, which instantly appeals to me lol.

The second movie is pretty much my reason for liking it.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Phanpy, without a doubt. It's just straight-up adorable. Cute in-game design and its anime portrayal as a baby made it even cuter.
Also, its Rollout attack has always looked super cool in the anime.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Lugia. I also really like quilava, mareep, and tyranitar.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Phanpy, without a doubt. It's just straight-up adorable. Cute in-game design and its anime portrayal as a baby made it even cuter.
Also, its Rollout attack has always looked super cool in the anime.

Phanpy's adorable although I never had a chance to raise one myself since I had Gold version when I was young and Phanpy didn't exist in it. ^^

Cutty

Forever now
Hmm... Johto is not my fave Gen but I will list pokemon I like from it.

Starter: Totodile.
Sentret, Furret.
Crobat (all time fave pokemon)
Mareep
Steelix, Scizor (First cool steel mons)
Miltank... I dunno I think I kinda like it lol.
Smeargle
Qwilfish! Needs Mega.
Chinchou, Lanturn.
Umbreon
Skarmory
Sneasel
Kingdra
Delibird
Teddiursa
I dont like the legendary dogs.
Lugia, Ho-oh. Celebi.

Darrkvolt

My favorites from this gen are Espeon and Umbreon naturally (I love the eeveelutions), Houndour and Houndoom (even though I hate Karen's because of my "Lapras and Typhlosion-only" run; that thing gave me so much trouble along with Bruno's Machamp) , Larvitar, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, and I also like all the first forms of the starters. I also kind of like Kingdra but only because I like Horsea/Seadra.

tm27crobat

Cave Dweller
My favorite Johto Pokémon is Ho-Oh. Based on the Chinese (and Japanese) phoenix, traditionally fènghuáng in Chinese or Hōō in Japanese, which is the yin to the Chinese Dragon's yang, represents the moon, femininity, and the land and land animals (vs. the dragon's sun, masculinity, and sky), and sometimes, traditionally, the Empress of China, Ho-Oh is just based on one of the coolest mythological creatures I know of. On top of that, it looks great, it's obviously strong, and it's woven beautifully into the story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.