• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Gen 4 Starter Evolution Line?

What is your favorite Gen 4 Starter Pokemon Evolution Line

• Chimchar > Monferno > Infernape

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Piplup > Prinplup > Empoleon

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Turtwig > Grotle > Torterra

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What's your favorite Gen 4 Starter Evolution Line?

PCBiZz1.png

lRPW1hl.png
qhzLeQT.png
15ImcEW.png

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Overall, I think all 9 Sinnoh Starters are really solid. Back when the games came out, I was really big on Torterra but over the years and tons of competitive play, Infernape has become my favorite. Really like all 3 though; they have great unique designs are are able to make breakthroughs of the game diverse (especially in Platinum when they fixed the amount of fire types).

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I love all the Gen IV starters; my first games were Diamond and Pearl and they shaped my love for the games completely, and I'm very excited to be playing them once again with my friend over summer. My favourite has to be the Turtwig line, although ironically enough it was the starter I didn't choose in my first playthroughs of either game (had Piplup in Diamond and Chimchar in Pearl, only ever beat Pearl).

But still, Torterra is an amazing concept for a Pokemon. A continental tortoise that has an ecosystem living on top of it? Awesome! Plus Paul's in the anime was badass as hell and made to seem like an extremely durable and dangerous Pokemon to battle. I will be using Turtwig in summer to do it justice!

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Turtwig, I really like Torterra's design, and it reaches its final stage earlier than the other Sinnoh starters. Piplup is second, as although I like Empoleon's typing and looks, its level-up movepool isn't that good. Chimchar is last, as I don't care for Infernape's design and find it overrated, but then again, Sinnoh doesn't have a good variety of Fire types otherwise.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It's a tie for me. I like both Turtwig's evolutionary line and Piplup's. Turtwig's got the vote from me in the end though.

Last edited:

Peter Harrison

The Chimchar line is my favourite. Infernape has a great move set and is very quick.

Eternalfalcon

Unova champion
I think torterra is really underrated in my opinion it has a cool pokedex entry where small pokemon gather on its back as its like a mini sanctuary and a killer design
My perception on the trio has changed quite a bit in the last few months, I’ve gone from thinking that the trio isn’t anything special to thinking only the turtwig line is special to loving the piplup line the most and my current view which is thinking the trio is one of the best and not being able to choose between them, and I think a lot of that comes down to playing platinum for the first time before i started liking the trio I had never played platinum, and I think playing the games made me fall in love with the trio I just loved exploring the sinnoh region with piplup at my side, and it was the first game that made me jealous of my rival getting the other starter that may seem a bit stupid but the starters are just so good that whenever I play platinum I just want them all on my team.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
My first thoughts on the Sinnoh starters was that they weren't as good as the previous starters, but my opinion of them has changed. I really like Piplup and Chimchar now and although Turtwig is still my least favorite of the bunch, I like Torterra.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
My first thoughts on the Sinnoh starters was that they weren't as good as the previous starters

I didn't like that the Hikozaru (Chimchar) line was so similar to the Achamo (Torchic) line from one generation before in terms of typing, but I still consider the Hikozaru line to be one of the most reliable evolutionary lines in Gen IV.