• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Generic Bird Pokemon?

Favorite Generic Bird?

• Pidgey

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Hoothoot

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Taillow

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Starly

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Pidove

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fletchling

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
At every start of a region, there is always that flying type that is available. From Pidgey to Fletchling, lots of people use them and remember them well.

So, which in is your favorite?

I personally am at a cross between Starly and Pidgey. I love Staraptor and Stary was my first generic bird Pokemon, even though I didn't use it for my team back in the day.
And Pidgey I grew to like over the years. I just really love my Pidgeot in Firered.

Probably Starly.

While both Staraptor and Talonflame are the only two final evos I had a lot of fun using, I liked using Staraptor more because of Talonflame's 4x rock weakness.

Tangeh

Fletchling by a pretty large margin. Its evolutions both look awesome, and I love how it evolves into a fire/flying instead of a normal/flying. It caught me off guard during my first playthrough. ^__^

Fletchling > Starly > Pidgey > Hoothoot > Taillow > Pidove

I might be kinda biased because fletchling and starly are the only two I've used during playthroughs, but I like the starly line as well. Staraptor is awesome. Pidgey wins nostalgia points and not much else. I don't really like hoothoot's design, but I do like how it's a special attacker and is more unique than the others. I don't so much mind taillow as I find it boring. And I downright dislike pidove and its entire line because it's both generic and ugly. >_>

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
Pidgey, mostly because of my Pidgeot in my Pokemon X.

cinderkitteh

Pretteh Kitteh Khat
I love Starly. It evolves into a beastly bird of prey and it learns Close Combat to set it apart from all the other birds. Pidgey is cute and it makes for a good in-game member; almost everyone who's played Pokémon for a while has raised one. Taillow is cute and it's so fast, it's a reliable team member in R/S/E and it has Guts for being competitive. Hoothoot just became annoying to see in G/S/C because it would always appear at night instead of that rare night-only pokemon you were looking for. Fletchling evolves into Talonflame, nuff said. And Pidove is.... A nice shade of gray?

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
All of them are great IMO.

But I chose Taillow because it's so fast, and I love it's design.
I liked how it's so useful in RSE.

But Pidgey is cool because it evolves Into Pidgeot, which I have in Y from HGSS.

Fletchling because of Talonflame, Nuf said.

Hoothoot because it's got a neat design, of only it's family had better stats.

Starly, the first Pokémon I ever caught in Diamond, and it evolves into Staraptor, who's a powerhouse in Sinnoh.

Pidove is my least favorite, but it's still alright.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Starly, because Staraptor the best one of these.

I'm not a fan of Pidgeot at all as you already know, and even though I won't deny that Talonflame is good, I can't get over how ugly it looks.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Starly, since I used it on all of my teams in the Sinnoh Gen 4 games before I defeated the Elite Four. Fletchling comes a close second mostly due to its Hidden Ability.

Atomic Rexx

Don't Care
Pidgey is okay for in-game use, but competitively it is completely terrible. I think its design is pretty fantastic though, generic, but really good. I'd just prefer to use Fearow or Dodrio because their designs and stats are superior.

I might be in the minority, but I think Hoothoot's family is godawful and would have done much better as a Psychic-type rather than a Normal-type. You know you're bad when using Pidgey is preferable to you. All they really got going for them is their decent Special Defense and Hypnosis, and even then they still can't take an Electric or Ice-type move at all.

Taillow is amazing. First really good starting bird, in third gen it was actually very useful and had pretty great stats as well as the Guts. Swellow has been a mainstay on a lot of my teams when replaying RSE, my favourite being a shiny Taillow that I raised that I found in Emerald. Overall, great design, good stats for what it is, and just an excellent Pokemon in general. Love Swellow.

Speaking of good stats, Starly is pretty much a retread of Taillow, but with better, more balanced stats. Staraptor does have less speed than Swellow, but its power is far superior. The only thing is, I'm not entirely crazy about its design, and I guss its popularity does kind of make me tired of it. Staraptor is still fabulous though, just a bit overrated, but for the right reasons.

Pidove is awful. Definitely the worst starting bird. Its design is so painfully generic and ugly. It's literally just a pigeon, and its evolutions are just fancier pigeons. Guess that's what happens when you base a Pokemon on a bird whose only real purpose in life is to get shot by hunters and get served to a country family... Also, finding a wild Tranquill and having to suffer through an onslaught of Detect and Hypnosis is terrible. Hate the Pidove line.

Fletchling is pretty good. I love its design, simply adorable. I have a grudge against Talonflame for killing a shiny that I ran into, but I can't deny its usefulness. I like Fletchling's line, but its not my favourite.

Last edited:

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
Design wise I like Taillow the most. It was great for its time but its evolution needs a higher attack stat and better move-pool if you ask me.
In terms of competitions it would be Fletchling > Starly > Taillow. My vote still goes to ol' Taillow though.

I never liked Pidgey/Pidove.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
the only time i have use a flying type early game was my original red cartridge back in late 90's. i played it all the way to pidgeot E4. ever since then though for some reason i have despised all the starter zone flying types. i like pidgeot. but really don't like pidgey if that makes sense.

Mudcat

No love for Pidgey? You're all but a bunch of heartless.

I still have a place in my heart for the Pidgey line.

Fletchling is pretty good. I love its design, simply adorable. I have a grudge against Talonflame for killing a shiny that I ran into, but I can't deny its usefulness. I like Fletchling's line, but its not my favourite.

A little off topic, but am I the only one who shouted "Flecthling use Drill Peck!" in the opening seen right as it was hovering over the bed?

Last edited:
When I vote design will be my factor I care the most about. Despite the choices in the poll I will also judge mainly by the final evo, however I do think about the whole line too.
I'm voting for Starly.
However, I am not too fond of Starly and Staravia. It is Staraptor alone who makes this my favorite line. Staraptor is design-wise my favorite of the evolved birds and is really fun to use.

My second favorite line of them is the Hoothoot line. Hoothoot and Noctowl just look so very different from the others. However a psychic-typing would have made them even more interesting.

Third is the Tailow line. Tailow is probably my favorite of the basic stages, however Swellow just looks so generic, but it is fun to use.

Fourth is the Pidgey line. Very generic is my opinion. However that is not too suprising since it was the first.

Fifth is the Fletchling line. Fletchling and Fletchinder are some of my favorite pokemon from gen VI. However Talonflame just looks so ridiculous. Its design just completely kills the line for me. Had Talonflame's design followed the same path as the two first stages the line might even have been my favorite "generic bird line". Its name is also beyond horrible.

Last, Pidove. Not much positive to say about the line in my opinion. I find the line just as boring to use as to watch.While I don't really hate any of them I have very little interest for the line.

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
I get you picked one from each region but....

No Spearow? You kinda got Spearow at the same time as Pidgey, so I thought that kinda made it a generic too.
My vote is definitely for Spearow/Fearow--Fearow's drill peck is wicked. Don't care how useless it might be--still my bird of choice.

But, if I have to pick from the poll, then I'll go Fletchling. Staraptor may end up being a beast, but Fletchling is adorabe, and flaming Talonflame is pretty cool with his arrow design.

Followed by HootHoot. Did any one else think it was just a one footed bird before getting Pokemon Stadium 2? Yeah. Any who, awesome and creepy and cute all at once.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I get you picked one from each region but....

No Spearow? You kinda got Spearow at the same time as Pidgey, so I thought that kinda made it a generic too.
My vote is definitely for Spearow/Fearow--Fearow's drill peck is wicked. Don't care how useless it might be--still my bird of choice.

But, if I have to pick from the poll, then I'll go Fletchling. Staraptor may end up being a beast, but Fletchling is adorabe, and flaming Talonflame is pretty cool with his arrow design.

Followed by HootHoot. Did any one else think it was just a one footed bird before getting Pokemon Stadium 2? Yeah. Any who, awesome and creepy and cute all at once.

I almost added Spearow, but it wasn't the first bird you encountered. Pidgey was. And so, Spearow sadly didn't make it, be he is a good nomination ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.