• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Hayao Miyazaki film?

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
If you don't know who Hayao Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli are, you have no right to call yourself a hardcore anime fan. Miyazaki's movies are the pinnacle of great anime, and his earlier works were among the first anime to be widely bought and enjoyed in the U.S, enough to spur on the English dubs of many of the anime we have here now. Some of his most well-known works include Spirited Away, Nausicca and the valley of the wind, and My neighbor Totoro.

So what's your favorite of his movies? For me, you can't beat Spirited Away, although Princess Mononoke comes pretty close.

Steven M. Stone

M for Mother****ing
Damn right... Miyazaki is truly a genius. He will be remembered for generations on as the one who revolutionized anime.

Spirited Away was fantastic, so was Princess Monoke, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. I can't choose, these were just too good. Honestly when I saw them as a kid when CN had a month dedicated to Miyazaki and showed one of his movies each week, I cried after each one.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are my favourites.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, Diana Wynne Jones, who wrote Howl's Moving Castle, passed away yesterday. ;__;

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are my favourites.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, Diana Wynne Jones, who wrote Howl's Moving Castle, passed away yesterday. ;__;

D: this makes me epic sadface. Howl's Moving Castle is another of my favorites.

RLinksoul

I know those names and I still don't call myself a hardcore anime fan. XD

Miyazaki's movies don't usually do it for me, as they tend to be kind of coming of age/slice of life, and I'm too used to anime having action and adventure. Of the ones I've seen I liked Kiki's Delivery Service best. It was a bit sleepy, but it had it's memorable moments, and that opening song (in the dub) will always get stuck in my head.

The Head Honchkrow

I'm too used to anime having action and adventure.

Check out Castle of Cagliostro; it's pretty much the complete opposite of what most of Miyazaki's films are.
It was also the first film he ever directed.

Other than that, I've only watched Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro.
They were both good films IMO, although Spirited Away was a little too random sometimes.

~The Head Honchkrow~

The Head Honchkrow

Do I need to have some knowledge of Lupin III?

Not at all. You see, Lupin III is not one of these animes that has a definite storyline; each episode is a self-contained story.
It is, in essence, the Japanese equivalent of Scooby-Doo.
However, to be honest, I can't say that I recommend the anime; some episodes are good, but most have not aged well.
There are other films as well, but I haven't watched them.

~The Head Honchkrow~

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Miyazaki's movies don't usually do it for me, as they tend to be kind of coming of age/slice of life, and I'm too used to anime having action and adventure.

I'd suggest Castle of Caligostro, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, and maybe Howl's Moving Castle. They're more actiony than Miyazaki's more well-known stuff.

Drako

Darkness Eternal
Naussica and the Valley of the Wind is my favorite old school Miyazaki film. Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are definitely his best post 2000 films.

Just a side note, are any of you guys familar with the DS game that is a collaboration between Studio Ghibli and Level 5? Check it out.

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Naussica and the Valley of the Wind is my favorite old school Miyazaki film. Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are definitely his best post 2000 films.

Just a side note, are any of you guys familar with the DS game that is a collaboration between Studio Ghibli and Level 5? Check it out.

Have to disagree with you on Ponyo, I was severely dissapointed with that movie. But that's just me. :p

Yeah, I heard about that game, is there any word about a US release?

Pikawho?

(five15)
My favorite Miyazaki film is unarguably Castle in the Sky. It was the first of his films that I saw and I fell in love instantly. It's just epic and the art is amazing (as usual). None of his other films even come close, in my book. Other favorites are Nausicaa, Ponyo, and Howl's Moving Castle.

While I know that everyone is going to hate me for this: I actually hate Spirited Away. The plotline/concept is just too out there for me. I'm sorry...I just can't bring myself to like this film, even if everyone thinks that it's his best. =/

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Princess Mononoke is my favorite Hayao Miyazaki film but that's probably because it was the first film of his that I watched. I remember watching it with my family and everyone really enjoyed it. I also liked Spirited Away but not as much as I liked Princess Mononoke. I haven't seen any of his other films but I probably should since I liked the ones I did watch.

Drako

Darkness Eternal
Have to disagree with you on Ponyo, I was severely dissapointed with that movie. But that's just me. :p

Yeah, I heard about that game, is there any word about a US release?

No date has been set yet. Sadly Nintendo will not release any more DS exclusive games after this year. So I'm hoping that Ninokuni gets ported soon!

Ponyo was awesome! It makes me sad that you don't like it, but oh well.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Sadly Nintendo will not release any more DS exclusive games after this year.

That's not true. Japan likely won't make any more DS-only games but there is still a US market for games such as Professor Layton which have yet to be released.

Anyway, back on topic, Ponyo was awful. So awful, in fact, that Disney have decided not to dub the next Ghibli film.

Unicorn

Neigh.
Anyway, back on topic, Ponyo was awful. So awful, in fact, that Disney have decided not to dub the next Ghibli film.

Ponyo had beautiful animation but sadly that was the only attraction. It's purely a children's movie and lacks the usual "epicness" that Miyazaki films usually have. I was really disappointed by it.

AND WHAT!? DISNEY ISN'T DUBBING THE NEXT ONE!? WHYYYY?

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner.

Oh and I really love Princess Mononoke. That one is my favorite. Although Nasaka and the Valley of the Winds is good too.

Maxim

Beyond repair
The only one I've watched was Howl's Moving Castle.

And it was totally A.W.F.U.L.

It was a sequence of random events that made no sense at all.

I felt totally brainwashed after watching it.