• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Hayao Miyazaki Movie

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
What's your favorite Hayao Miyazakie movie?

For me, it's got to be Spirited Away. That movie is pure win. I love the plot, the characters, and overall, everything about it. It was so well made, and I love how creative the spirits and such were. Lin was my favorite character.

So many people love Princess Mononoke... I couldn't finish the movie. I was waaaay too bored. Hm... it was just really boring, I can't understand why so many people like it lol. But, it's still really popular, so whatever.

Howl's Moving Castle... okay this one was "okay", but that's about it. It didn't flow right, and something about it was just off. It wasn't that special. But I watched the whole thing. I liked parts of it, I thought some of it was very good. And other parts were just blah, and hard to get through. A lot of it was corny, too. But overall, it was okay.

Out of his more popular works, I've yet to see My Neighbor Totoro, and Kiki's Deliver Service, but I am planning on watching those eventually. I want to watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, but I'm wating to see if I can get out of class to watch that movie for an Environmental Club end of year movie field trip. I love my environmental club at school, we plan pointless field trips to do nothing, and get out of class for it. I'm hoping we watch Nausicaa as an end of the year thing, since I've herad Nausicaa is about Global Warming and stuff like that. I think it would be fun =]

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I get the feeling this should be in Alt. Anime, but whatever.

The Castle of Cagliostro. One of the best adventure films ever; and this is stacked against the early Indiana Jones films, and his debut film. Also, you need to see Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind at some point.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
Howls Moving Castle had a rubbish ending. My favourite film (though I haven't seen them all) is Princess Mononoke. Visually it was fantastic and I love wild pigs.

Pearl's Perap

Princess Mononoke, without a doubt :}

Pom Poko is amazing also, though, technically a Studio Ghibli film and not Hayao Miyazaki

coolminun

Banned
Princess mononoke and Nausicaa of the valley of the wind are mine. I can't pick between the two. When I first saw Princess mononoke,I was young and it scared me. Especially the death god. But despite that, I really enjoyed it. Nausicca was just epic. Said and done.

Fenix

Tremulant
Hard to choose between Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, both are awesome movies. I'll go with Mononoke though cause I love the theme.

Howl's moving castle was cool too but the whole film had a "what the hell's going on lol" aura around it.

Chelc

Spirited Away! ^O^ I love that movie! Chihiro is adorable, and Haku is really cool. Their relationship was probably my favorite part of the movie. Like you said, I loved the spirits, too. It was just a great movie overall.

Howl's Moving Castle is pretty much tied with Spirited Away...even if I love all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies dearly. Though the movie could be pretty confusing at some parts like you guys said, there was just something about it. :p Howl was probably my favorite character.

RayRay

asillywonderfulman
Howl's Moving Castle is pretty much tied with Spirited Away...even if I love all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies dearly. Though the movie could be pretty confusing at some parts like you guys said, there was just something about it. :p Howl was probably my favorite character.

Ditto! Mononoke was amazing as well, i really love that film, but i also loved Totoro...and Nausicaa...and Kiki's Delivery Service...haha, i love them all! Weirdly, i've bought 3 different DVDs of Spirited Away, and each of them went all screwed up half way through...like, reverted back to the beginning again. Annoying! But definately a great film.

I've been told Grave of the Fire Flies is particularly sad, and i've yet to watch it, but really want to!

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Also, you need to see Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind at some point.

Well I talked to my environmental club teacher and he agreed that it was a great idea and we'll hopefully be watching it sometime next week (during gym class, I hope!)

Howls Moving Castle had a rubbish ending.

Exactly, that's why I didn't like it. It was okay, though, overall.

Howl's moving castle was cool too but the whole film had a "what the hell's going on lol" aura around it.

Yeah that's the other thing, it was a bit hard to understand haha.

Spirited Away! ^O^ I love that movie! Chihiro is adorable, and Haku is really cool. Their relationship was probably my favorite part of the movie. Like you said, I loved the spirits, too. It was just a great movie overall.

Yeah, and I really love how Miyazaki uses a nine year old as the main character. I thought that was a good choice. And Haku was really interesting because at first he seemed helpful, but in the middle you weren't sure if he was for or against Chihiro. And like, seriously, No-Face? The Stink Spirit? How creative! <3

Princess Mononoke, without a doubt :}

Would you mind if I asked why exactly you like this movie? Maybe it gets better from the point where I just gave up... or maybe it just wasn't my thing. But I'm just curious why you like this movie so much, am I just missing something?

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Would you mind if I asked why exactly you like this movie? Maybe it gets better from the point where I just gave up... or maybe it just wasn't my thing. But I'm just curious why you like this movie so much, am I just missing something?

• The characters are well-developed and beautifully designed; even the villain
  • The hero, Ashitaka, is easy to identify with
  • It doesn't try and force its point down your throat (like most Miyazaki films)
  • Excellent storyline
  • The adapation was done by Neil Gaiman, comic god
  • You HAVE to listen to the theme in Japanese; it's hauntingly beautiful, and is sung by a Japanese counter-tenor, i.e. a guy who sings like a girl
Take your pick.

Rave

Banned
Princess Mononoke and Castle of Cagliostro.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
  • The characters are well-developed and beautifully designed; even the villain
  • The hero, Ashitaka, is easy to identify with
  • It doesn't try and force its point down your throat (like most Miyazaki films)
  • Excellent storyline
  • The adapation was done by Neil Gaiman, comic god
  • You HAVE to listen to the theme in Japanese; it's hauntingly beautiful, and is sung by a Japanese counter-tenor, i.e. a guy who sings like a girl
Take your pick.

well Neil Gaiman is pretty amazing I have to admit. (American Gods has got to be one of the greatest books ever). And I've never heard the song in Japanese so I'll be sure to listen to that later.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
You MUST watch Spirited Away, it is by far my favorite! =D