• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Ice Type?

NeedsAName

Well December starts really soon, and it's nearing Winter in the northern hemisphere. What's your favorite Ice-type? I feel like the Ice-type gets a bit shafted and thrown to the side, having the least Pokémon of any type with only 49 (not counting Arceus).

My pick is G-Darmanitan.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Sneasel because it has one of the coolest designs plus I just like Johto mons overall.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Probably Beartic and Walrein

Red and Blue

Gen 1:Lapras and Articuno
Gen 3: Glalie
Gen 6:Amaura and Aurorus
Gen 7: Alolan Vulpix and Alolan Sandshrew with their evolutions
Gen 8: Frosmoth

Didnt care for the Ice types from Gens 2, 4, and 5

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
  1. Lapras and Articuno
  2. Sneasel
  3. Snorunt and Sealeo
  4. Snover, Weavile and Froslass
  5. Vanillish
  6. Amaura and Aurorus
  7. Alolan Vulpix
  8. Frosmoth

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Favorite shinies per generation for Ice types
  • Gen 1: Cloyster. I like its strong blue
  • Gen 2: Swinub. Not that there was much choice
  • Gen 3: Snorunt. Again, there wasn't much choice. There's the Spheal line, but I like the shade of blue it has
  • Gen 4: Abomasnow. There's a story attached to this one. Before you could change it to the circle pad, you had to move the 3Ds to get through Ultra Space. I wasn't familiar with this and trying to reach Ultra Megalopolis. Instead I ended up arriving in a Ultra Wormhole and encountered this shiny. I got myself the Ice type I wanted, and it was shiny to boot. It's the only (random) shiny I had the luck of filling a team spot
    Gen 5: Kyurem. Again, I don't really care for the other Ice type shinies, and this is 3 shinies in one thanks to form changes(though Cryogonal is nice)
  • Gen 6: Any Mega is cheating, right? Eh, doesn't matter. I love how clear, white and shiny that shiny Amaura is, the shininess just makes it more adorable
  • Gen 7: I have to pick a variant by default, and I choose Ninetales for being beautiful
  • Gen 8: Eiscue has a nice purple, but I also really like Arctovish

Opassa

Tunne susi rakasta
really love Lorelei's team/style as an aesthetic, especially the Cloyster/Jynx/Lapras

i played her a lot as a kid in Puzzle League because of the Cloyster, and always wished she had the Jynx or Lapras instead of the Poliwhirl

tumblr_mpkly0uBKI1s616llo1_1280.png

in later gens, i really like Froslass and Glaceon a lot too - probably a lot more than any Ice-types in Gens 2/3

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Gen 1: Jynx
Gen 2:Swinub/Piloswine
Gen 3: Snorunt/Glalie
Gen 4: Abomasnow or Mamoswine
Gen 5: Cryogonal
Gen 6:Bergmite/Avalugg
Gen 7: Crabombinable
Gen 8: Galarian Darmanitan (both forms) or Mr Mime.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'll go with Laplace (Lapras) as my favorite Ice-type overall since I used to like that it was such a rare species given that it had to be received as a gift in the Gen I games and could only be found in the wild on Fridays in Gen II. I like Pokemon that are generally rare, so Laplace has always had mystique to me.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Not going to include Gen 8 until I have played it. So here are my favorites per generation
  • Gen I: Lapras. Kind of simple, but it is just a solid Pokemon. It has a friendly design being the loch ness, is generally a good fighter, and its a rare catch so getting it always feels like a reward
  • Gen II: Piloswine. I think this Pokemon was good enough that it didn't need an evolution added later on, but I liked it anyway. And Swinub is just adorable. Being Ground makes it a bit less worrisome to oppose Fire types
  • Gen III: Walrein, probably. Mainly because its the Lapras equivalent, at least that's how I feel. And Thick Fat is a nice touch. Spheal is very adorable
  • Gen IV: Weavile. Part of my first serious attempt at 6 members in my team. Very fast sweeper, that I like
  • Gen V: Cryogonal. A speedy sweeper like Weavile, but its high sp def can always help out if played correctly. Helped to teach me more strategy
  • Gen VI: Aurorus. Yes, its weaknesses are plentiful. But I still love it. Its adorable, and Refrigerate is an awesome ability. This is also why I liked using Mega Glalie
  • Gen VII: If we include regional variants, I'm not sure which to pick. And if we don't, we only have one example. No surprise about that given this is Hawaii

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Oh, Ice types! Let's see:

Gen I - Dewgong
Gen II - Sneasel or Swinub
Gen III - Spheal
Gen IV - Froslass
Gen V - Cryogonal
Gen VI - Aurorus or Avalugg
Gen VII - Crabominable
Gen VIII - Frosmoth

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't know about you, but Snom is my pick for the cutest Ice type

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I usually don't use Ice-types because they often come too late in the game for my liking, but the two I like the most are Mamoswine and the Alola version of Ninetales. Mamoswine is the Ground-type I liked using the most in HG/SS (I often cheated by catching a Swinub in one game and trading it across to another recently started one), and its Ice typing helped out against the likes of Clair and Lance. I had a lot of success with Alola Ninetales in Ultra Sun, while she did have her flaws she was still a valued member of my team, and I'm happy Alola Ninetales is in Sword and Shield's files and thus can be transferred.
Speaking of Sword and Shield, I'm positively itching to use Frosmoth, granted I'm not keen on its evolution method (I've always found the Friendship mechanic to be really tedious, and it caused major problems when I was trying to get Alolan Raichu) but I love its design and I've heard its a really good special attacker.