• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Johto Pokémon

DatsRight

Sneasel and Smeargle are great designs. Smeargle is also creative in it's battle technique.

Oh and of course it would be impossible to miss out Wobbuffet.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
I like Delibird the most. It's not a very popular choice, but I really like its Santa-esque design.
I've always had a soft spot for Delibird myself. I remember liking its design a lot, too, when I saw one on my friend's Silver for the first time. When I found out that I couldn't find one on Gold, I was so sad. ;_;

Another not very popular choice: I really like Sunkern/Sunflora. I thought Sunkern was the coolest thing ever when I first encountered it and ended up keeping one in my party on Gold for quite a while (didn't win too many battles with it, though lol). Sunflora's design is awesome IMO - looks nice and I love its big happy smile. Plus, I love how it can learn Earth Power in later games.

Kanto_Caper

- Cyndaquil and its evolutions. <3

- Totodile and Feraligator. <3

- Chikorita and Bayleaf. (I'm not as fond of Meganium, sorry.)

- I love Flaafy, but Ampharos less even though it has better stats.

- Wooper! It's so cute, and looks so happy-go-lucky! (I always feel sad evolving it into Quagsire, even though the stats are much better for the game mechanics.)

- Heracross! The only thing better than it's good-natured disposition is its awesome bug/fighting type, its move pool, and fantastic stats! It's a joy to bring out to battle in the game!

- Donphan! Awesome design, and I love the animation of it rolling around in the show. I'd have so much fun battling with it in real life if it spun around that quickly; its too bad it moves slower than a rock uphill in the game.

-Swinub! It is SO STINKIN' CUTE! I want one in real life that I can nickname "Swiney" and have it sit on my lap (as I type on the computer) and baby-talk it all day. I'm also glad Gen IV added Mamoswine, since it looks cooler and has much better stats than Piloswine (which I'll admit I was never that crazy about, compared to Swiney).

Larvitar and Tyranitar. I know. No points for creativity. What can I say? The former is cute with a dark twist, and the latter is a fantastically designed pseudo-legendary that's great in battle. What's not to love?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The ones I liked were Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Suicune, Espeon, Umbreon, Thyplosion and Feraligatr, mostly due to great designs but my top favourites would be Espeon, Umbreon, Lugia and Tyranitar. As I like Eeveelutions, I always had a soft spot for Espeon and Umbreon, Lugia simply had a cool design and Tyranitar was powerful.

firemaster13

Pokémon Ranger
My Gen II favorites are:
- Tyranitar: its design is amazing and it is a very useful pokemon both in the game and in competitive battles;
- Totodile and its evolutions: Totodile was my starter and, well, a starter, usually, is a pokemon which we have a strong "connection"
- Scizor: in my opinion, Scizor has one of the best designs and I really like it. After Gen IV/V (I can't remember), it started to be also very useful in competitive battles and that is also why I like Scizor
- Heracross: the first time I saw Heracross was on the anime and I liked it. Then, when I had my first gameboy, I wanted to add it into my team and I did it and I had a lot of fun using it to "complete" the game
- Sneasel: as it happens with Scizor, I think that Sneasel has a great design and I just like it because of that but, for me, that's enough

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Favorites? It's my favorite generation... so I'll give least favorites...
Aipom, Dunsparce, and Tyrogue. Tyrogue gets a pass because it evolves into some great Pokémon and a decent design. Dunsparce... is literally just there... there's not even a purpose for existence, I mean, it's not even good in battle, but it's kind of cute. Aipom... because it's annoying to watch, listen to, and it's generally the worst design of this generation.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
The first question I tend to ask is: "Does Houndour count?", I mean for all intents and purposes, it's not even available in Johto. Same with Murkrow.

I'll say screw it and I'm going to make a full list of seventeen, one for each type.

Physical:
- Normal: Stantler
- Fighting: Tyrogue
- Flying: Skarmory
- Poison: Crobat
- Bug: Heracross
- Ground: Donphan
- Rock: Sudowoodo
- Steel: Steelix
- Ghost: Misdreavus, by default.

Special:
- Water: Qwilfish
- Electric: Elekid
- Grass: Bayleef
- Fire: Houndour
- Dark: Sneasel
- Psychic: Lugia
- Ice: Piloswine
- Dragon: Kingdra, by default.
- Not really a Fairy-type yet: Granbull

Houndour/doom - think this is obvious based on my username

Lanturn - the typing and it looks so happy

Quilava - adorable, favorite middle stage of any starter

Crobat - Speedy, good attack. Like the color and design. Just finished EV training my Zubat can't wait to train!

Politoed - Never cared for Poliwag/whirl/wrath too much. Toed though. I'm raising one now in fact and loving it in that Nest Ball ;)

Murkrow - Early dark type

Some all-time favorites come from Johto for me who would easily rank in my top 10 favorites. Lanturn's stats aren't exactly the greatest either like Ledian and I don't really care either. I'm not a competive battler anyway.

Yeah, because having to have beaten the league makes this definitely an "early" Dark-type. I'm guessing you made this list not thinking about the GenII games.

Sprinter1988

My top 12 favourite fully evolved Johto Pokemon:

I just have massively fond memories of using all of these pokemon. So far Second Generation is the only one where I like all three starters equally. Espeon is tied with Jolteon for being my favourite Eeveelution.
These pokemon always try to worm their way onto any team I make when playing through the Johto Region, and usually do a good job of securing a spot on teams outside that generation as well - Steelix was a powerhouse on my team in my first run-through of Pearl.

Last edited:

SebastiaanZ

My Gen 2 favorites are definitely Scizor, Typhlosion, Umbreon and Ampharos. All four are awesome designed and Typhlosion for one is my favorite final evo of gen 2 and of all starters (well except Charizard). Also Lugia IMO is the best looking legendary still.

Doomdour

Color Ball Collector
The first question I tend to ask is: "Does Houndour count?", I mean for all intents and purposes, it's not even available in Johto. Same with Murkrow.
Yeah, because having to have beaten the league makes this definitely an "early" Dark-type. I'm guessing you made this list not thinking about the GenII games.

Early as in one of the first Dark types in the pokedex...

MistyLazuli

Water Enthusiast
I love all of the starters in Johto, and it was always extremely hard to choose between them. Totodile edges the other ones out by just a little since it was my first, but I think all three of them are great. I also really like Ampharos, Politoed, Slowking, Marill/Azumarill, and Raikou.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
There's a few that I still look for in the later gens. I've worked with all 3 starters (Totodile became my favorite) Skarmony, Steelix, Togepi and Togetic. I know Lugia was my favorite during my very first Pokemon experience (in Gold version), and Scizor was one of my favorites in Diamond. But hands down, I think Umbreon takes first place. I always get an Umbreon on my team when I can and name it Spawn.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I have a few favorites including Lugia, Denryu/Ampharos, Eifie/Espeon, and Typhlosion/Bakuphoon, but my all-time favorite is Hassam/Scizor.

CptScorpion

Scrafty Artist
I'd say Quagsire because he's cute, Gligar because he's adorable, Heracross because he's handsome, Sneasel because he's cool, Ursaring because he's badass, Houndoom because he's hell of a hell hound, Smeargle because he's artistically interesting, and Lugia because he's the Johto Legendary I love.

M.P.

Retired
Crobat: My favorite Gen 2 Pokemon. I used one on my first Pokemon game, and it was the first Happiness-requiring Pokemon I managed to evolve.

Feraligatr: My favorite Johto starter. I really like crocodiles, and I used him on my HeartGold team.

Steelix: Another Pokemon I used on my first Pokemon game's team. I've always found Onix awesome, and I was glad it got an evolution.

Gligar: I think this scorpion-bat-hybrid was a great idea. He is adorable, and I really like his evolution.

Scizor: Similar to Onix, I found Scyther awesome, and was glad it got an evolution.

Qwilfish: When I got my first Pokemon cards, Qwilfish was the best card I had. It's a shame he never got an evolution or a Mega.

BlueFlameCharizard

The Original Shiny Pokemon
Favorites:

Houou/Ho-oh - Litterally a Pheonix, one of my absolute favorite mythical beasts to date. Always loved them.
Houndour/Houndoom - The devil doggies, love tbe design, like the element combo, always though they were a neat mix of interesting and cool design wise
Mareep to Denryu - Not entirely sure why, I always liked these line when I first saw them posted on PokeCentre, the site that I believe first mainstreamed the Pokeblu rumor way back in the day. I like the design and the combo, found it interesting to look at and fun to use. Oddly enough I got so attached to the Japanese name Denryu instead of the English name lol.

Last edited: