• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Johto Pokémon

Leonhart

Imagineer
Celebi ;251;, because she was so beautiful and mysterious to me! =D The only thing that bothered me is that I never got the event to capture her.

Same here. I always liked Celebi for its elusiveness, and I also didn't manage to get a Celebi via any of the Gen II Celebi distributions. I didn't even know about the GS Ball event until a few years ago.

oshawott7

cat burgler
1. Cyndaquil line.
I have no logical explanation for this other than I find them adorable and I love their simple designs. I also have a shiny female Typhlosion that I love very much <3

2. Ho-Oh
Ho-Oh has a lot of meaning to me, if I ever get a tattoo it would be of Ho-Oh. Pokemon Gold is very special to me and I've made some of my most precious memories with it. Ho-Oh simbolizes hope and starting my life over from the beginning.

3. Espeon
After Zapdos, my favorite Pokemon to use in Gold was Espeon. I would take on Red and the league over and over again with the two of them lol

4. Wooper
It's..cute? Yes.

My other favorite would be Octillery, Houndoom, Swinub and Jumpluff. Most of them are for looks, Houndoom is because it looks like my dog haha

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
In no particular order:

Bayleef
Noctowl
Ledian
Togetic
Wooper
Umbreon
Lugia

Used to love Totodile (my first Johto starter) and Murkrow back in the day, but as time went on, their appeal started to decrease.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Top 10 for me would be:

1) Donphan
2) Lanturn
3) Girafarig
4) Meganium
5) Smeargle
6) Granbull
7) Raikou
8) Typhlosion
9) Houndoom
10) Tyranitar

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
The Johto Pokémon are in my opinion mostly a step up from the generation previous (except maybe for the starters) but I must say that my favourites are Heracross and Yanma. I do like a good amount of Johto Pokémon though.

Growing up I always had a massive obsession with bugs, and these two definitely help me relive that childhood obsession. Yanma for dragonflies and Heracross for stag beetles. I still love to look for these critters out and about to this day so these Pokémon really connect with me.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Suicune. One of my all time favorite Legendaries.

Celebi, same here and it's pretty cute.

Umbreon, one of my favorite Eeveelutions and is pretty strong.

Sneasel. Just thought it was pretty kick butt and has a decent move set.

Totodile. Pretty neat and I just loved it's alligator/crocodile look.

Feraligatr. Same here and it has a very nice move set.

Ariados. One of my favorite Bug type Pokemon, that has a pretty decent move set.

Espeon. Love this Eeveelution. Has a good move set.

Scizor. One kick butt Pokemon and one of my favorites. Both move set wise and style wise.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Used to love Totodile (my first Johto starter) and Murkrow back in the day, but as time went on, their appeal started to decrease.

I still like Yamikarasu (Murkrow) myself, although I was slightly peeved back in the old days of Gen II because of the fact that we couldn't capture the species in G/S/C until reaching Kanto.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Don't get me wrong, I still like both. More than most, anyway. They simply ceased to be among my favourites.

And yes, never understood the logic of putting Pokémon from Johto in Kanto. For example, why not put Houndour instead of Growlithe/Vulpix? They are virtually equivalent. Heck, they even put more Growlithe in Johto when Crystal was released.

Acerola

::A Smitten Kitten With One Mitten::
Flaaffy!
She's so cute!
Also Jumpluff <3

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Typhlosion, Ampharos, Meganium, Miltank (atleast when I’m using it), Tyranitar

20LigerZero16

"..........................."
Absolute favorite Johto Pokemon: Lugia, Celebi, Ho-Oh, Larvitar, Tyranitar, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Elekid, Magby, Donphan, Kingdra, Houndour, Houndoom, Skarmory, Heracross, Scizor, Espeon, Umbreon, Quagsire, Ampharos, Feraligatr, Totodile, Typhlosion, Quilava, Cyndaquil, Bayleef and last but not least, Chikorita.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Now that I think about it, a lot of my favorite Pokemon come from Gen 2. Anyway, here's my list:

Feraligatr: Best starter out of the 3 (don't really like Meganium or Typhlosion too much), is amazing in HGSS but not as good in GSC. Cool design and fun to use in Competitive.
Furret: Best Early-Game Normal Type (Along with Lillipup). Cute design and I always make sure to catch one to use as a HM Slave.
Crobat: Completely redeemed the Zubat line from Gen 1 and is always a reliable and fun to use Pokemon on any playthrough (to memory I've used Crobat on 3 different playthroughs on my main team). Sick design (love the purple colour) and balanced stats.
Lanturn: Idk I just find Lanturn to be really endearing and is pretty good on Johto playthroughs.
Umbreon: In my Top 5 favorite Pokemon easily. One of my favorite designs in the series, good stall Pokemon and it's the one Pokemon that I would have as a pet in real life if I had the chance.
Murkrow: Prefer it Honchkrow. Just think it looks cool really.
Hearcross: Funny in the anime, used one on every HGSS playthrough I've done (both as a permanent team member and as an expendable member).
Skarmory: My Favorite Flying Type, thought it was the coolest thing as a kid since I thought the red on it's wings were blood along with the fact that it basically represents what the Steel type is (incredibly defensive and reliable).
Houndoom: Represents the Fire/Dark types masterfully, cool design and I thought it was cool since one kid I knew had one on his game and he wouldn't tell me where to find it, which made it seem rare to me, which made me think it was even cooler.
Kingdra: Thought it was really cool in the third Pokemon Movie (one of my favorite Anime Movies ever) and due to the fact that I thought it was the strongest Pokemon ever
as a kid since I couldn't beat Clair's in GSC, along with how rare it was since I had no idea how to get one of my own.
Porygon2: I just love using it in competitive since it's so tanky with Eviolite and can take down a lot of top mons pretty well. Way better than PorygonZ.
Smeargle: Even though it's incredibly gimmicky and has awful stats (the highest being 75 in speed) I just find it really endearing.
Tyrnaitar: Absolute Unit, second favorite Pseudo. Enough said.
Suicune: Crocune is so fun to use in Competeitve and I have taken out entire teams with it or made my opponent rage quit which is always satisfying. I also love it's mysterious nature and well balanced stats. It's also mascot of Pokemon Crystal, which was the first Pokemon Game I ever played! (Though it was my older cousin's and I was too young to remember it coming out, with the first Pokemon Game I remember coming out being Pokemon Emerald).
Lugia: Tanky beast, love using it in Ubers and I love the lore surrounding it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
Typhlosion absolutely! He seriously needs a mega evolution.

It definitely could've used one, Meganium as well since I've always considered it weak among Grass-type fully-evolved Starters, even though I have a soft spot for Meganium myself.

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
Donphan is seriously badass.

I loved it the first scene I saw it in the first movie, and I knew I had to have one immediately when playing gen 2.

It still remains a favorite.