• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Kanto Pokemon

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Generation 1 introduced 151 Pokemon and began the Pokemon franchise: Which Kanto Pokemon were your absolute favorites? Please explain your answers in detail.

My favorites were Pikachu and Raichu, Meowth and Persian, Golduck, Slowbro, Chansey, Aerodactyl, and Snorlax. I find most of those to be either cute or tough, which is what I always base my preferences on.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well recently my love for Kanto grass types has been rekindled and Bellsprout, Weepinbell and Victreebel are among my favourites. I've also always liked the Gen 1 fossil Pokemon, especially Omanyte which was the closest thing to a squid Pokemon that we had in R/B/Y. ^^

Daizy

I call you honey
I like Kanto Pokemon that most fans ignore, such as Farfetch'd, Magneton, Tangela, and Venomoth. I also like Gengar since it looks like the cheshire cat.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Dragonite's been one of my favourites for a long time. I didn't use it on RBY much, but it was one of my best Pokemon on my Gold team.

I like quite a few other Kanto Pokemon, though I'll just mention these two others for now:
Charmander - My first favourite Pokemon back in 1998
Mew - It's adorable! And I'll always remember catching it for the first time using the Mew glitch.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
My Faves are Pikachu and Raichu,The starters,The eeveelutions, the pidgey line, Arcanine, vulpix line, Nidoking,the legendaries, Butterfree, the sandshrew line, and the Dratini line.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've had several favorites throughout the past two decades, but Yadon (Slowpoke) remains my favorite first generation Pokemon because it was the first Pokemon I caught in my used copy of Yellow version.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
In no particular order:
-Starmie. It is quick and versatile and mysterious, too.
-Jolteon. It is adorable and very quick and can hit hard.
-Arcanine. Majestic looks and has a good movepool with moves like Wild Charge and Dragon Pulse, not to mention Close Combat.
-Lapras. It is just very cute and loves ferrying humans and Pokemon on its back.
-Gyarados. A fearsome sea serpent that hits hard and has a good Mega.
-Sandslash. It is adorable and can be fast in sandstorm.
Other Generation I Pokemon I like a lot are: Vaporeon, Articuno, Ninetales, Gengar, Moltres, Snorlax, Nidoking, and Fearow.

Last edited:

Cat's Eye Draco

My Kanto favorites would probably be Eevee/Eeveelutions, Vulpix/Nintetales, Pikachu/Raichu, Starmie, Onix, Growlithe/Arcanine, Venusaur, Charizard, Aerodactyl, and Seadra. I definitely tended to gravitate towards the Pokemon that I thought were cute and/or cool. :p

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
-Lapras. It is just very cute and loves ferrying humans and Pokemon on its back.

Laplace will always have a special place in my list of favorite Kanto Pokemon, because I used it as my team's Surfing Pokemon in Red, Blue, and Yellow. I just wish that it could've been found in the wild back in Generation I.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Lapras is still one of my favourite Water types. I think it's cute and I've always liked how it can learn TMs like Thunderbolt.
I've mostly used it in Gens 3 and onward, but I had Lapras as my Water type on one of my physical copies of RBY (Blue I think).

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
So I haven't played much of the Kanto games, but the Kanto region itself has made so many memorable Pokémon (for both good and bad reasons).

My favourite Kantoan Pokémon would be:

;006; ;009; ;018; ;026; ;059; ;094; ;121; ;130; ;131; ;134; ;135; ;144; ;149;

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Venusaur all day everyday.

But why? A few reasons actually:

1. Against Kanto's Gyms he sweeps. Misty, Brock, Surge, Giovanni and Koga (Earthquake) all feel the pain.

2. Sleep Powder + Leech Seed + Synthesis holding black sludge = deadly.

3. My Venusaur has sweeped entire Pokemon World Tournament teams alone, while his comrades fainted one by one he stood tall and decommissioned the last 4-5 Pokemon on his own through sheer bulk and regeneration factor.

4. He's flexible. Sunny day? No problem. Bulk? Easy. Deadpool like healing factor? You got it. Baton pass? Deadly.

5. Lastly his design is incredible. It represents everything that Pokemon is about. From a cute little pet to an egregious monstrosity that can pack a punch. His ugly monstrous prehistoric look is what Pokemon is about.

Last edited:

Rhody

The Adorable Gliscor
My top fifteen favorites would be Charizard, Blastoise, Nidoking, Meowth, Arcanine, Alakazam, Machoke, Machamp, Gengar, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Electabuzz, Kabutops, Dragonite, and Mewtwo. Rumor has it, I love them all, but my number one would have to be Electabuzz.

Electabuzz > Pikachu

As for Charizard, he might be my number 15 because I may strongly like him, but he's a bit overrated, don't you think?

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Pikachu is my favorite I think :3

But I also really like Mew and Jigglypuff and Eevee too.

Hitmonlee is also pretty cool. I want to try using him on my yellow download file now that I figured out synth co. Bruce Lee Pokemon FTW! ;3

Leonhart

Imagineer
Rumor has it, I love them all, but my number one would have to be Electabuzz.

Electabuzz > Pikachu

I like Eleboo (Electabuzz) as well, although I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that up until a few years ago, I had assumed that the species was meant to be a tiger due to the stripes.