• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Kanto Pokemon

PsychoIncarnate

Blastoise has always been my absolute favorite pokemon. I specifically bought Pokemon Blue because he was on the cover. It's just because he's a turtle with cannons. That's about it. Turtles were popular when I was a kid, growing up in the late 80's early 90's. Probably influence me liking turtles as my favorite animal.

Although they fit my personality with their shells, and me not being a very open person

M.P.

Retired
Gengar is my favorite, followed by Gyarados. I'm really fond of Arbok, Magneton, Persian, Nidoking and the final starter evos too.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Among my favourite Kanto Pokémon are Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Charizard, Vulpix, Ninetales, Alakazam, Gyarados, Dragonite, Mewtwo and Mew. I like them for various reasons, including being cute enough for my tastes, being quite powerful and they just look cool in my opinion.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Gengar is my favorite, followed by Gyarados. I'm really fond of Arbok, Magneton, Persian, Nidoking and the final starter evos too.

I liked Gyarados in the sense that it was one of Generation I's best Water-types, but in terms of its design, I've always found its angry, gaping mouth to be somewhat unsettling.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My top 10 is really weird and has some of the less popular Gen 1 Pokemon but here it is:

1) Sandslash
2) Venusaur
3) Dewgong
4) Gengar
5) Arbok
6) Dragonite
7) Marowak
8) Arcanine
9) Lapras
10) Vaporeon

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Well I basically either feel indifferent or dislike the entire Kanto roster for taking very few risks and being mostly unoriginal, dull and uninspired, but there are few exceptions. These are probably Snorlax, Kabutops, Porygon, Cubone, Aerodactyl and Mew / Mewtwo.

I think I want to pay special attention to Cubone and Porygon for being some of my favourite Pokémon to date. Porygon eventually evolves into one of my absolute favourite Pokémon of all, and I like how its design is so meta, like, a Pokémon designed on a digital design of a real life animal, and I love ducks anyway. As for Cubone, I just feel more sorry for it than I do Mimikyu even and its Alolan forme being my second favourite of the bunch.

Speaking of Alolan forms I guess this means I like Ninetales but I only really like the Alolan form and not the normal one that much. It’s my favourite ice type even.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Jigglypuff is my favorite Pokémon of course but I’m also fond of all the starters, Pikachu, Clefairy, Vulpix, Articuno, Mewtwo, And Hitmonlee.

PsychoIncarnate

Charmander has slowly became my least favorite pokemon since I've been trying for MONTHS to get a shiny one just to breed egg moves and shiny into a Tyranitar. OMG No shiny has ever taken this long.

c1234

Trainer Since '98
Charmander has slowly became my least favorite pokemon since I've been trying for MONTHS to get a shiny one just to breed egg moves and shiny into a Tyranitar. OMG No shiny has ever taken this long.

You can do it. It took me quite a while as well, but once I got the first one, I continued to hatch the eggs I already had and got another. Keep a positive mental attitude.

My favorite Gen 1 Pokemon (when I was a kid) were:
Blastoise
Mewtwo
Electabuzz
Scyther
Alakazam

They have stayed mostly the same.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Charmander. It's just adorable and its evolutions were good as well.

Scyther, thought it was pretty cool looking.

Lapras. It seemed like a good all around Pokemon.

Dratini. Thought it would end up being a good Pokemon.

Dragonite. Same as Dratini and it just is really cool looking.

Gengar, really love this Pokemon. Scary as heck and pretty powerful.

Alakazam. Glass cannon aside, I just thought he was a cool Pokemon.

Sprinter1988

Charizard, Venusaur, Raichu, Jolteon, Lapras, Gengar, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Pidgeot, Butterfree, Gyarados, Vaporeon, Sandslash, Dragonite, Weezing, Arcanine, Ninetales, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Tauros, Aerodactyl, Snorlax and Flareon.

Not necessarily in that order.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Well I basically either feel indifferent or dislike the entire Kanto roster for taking very few risks and being mostly unoriginal,

If anything, the first 151 were the ones who took the most risks and inherently had more originality. They were the first.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The original Japanese GB sprites were a bit odd though. Koffing was basically upside down, Cloyster’s Shell was the wrong way, and poor Mew looks like it wants someone to put it out of its misery!

Minedreigon

If anything, the first 151 were the ones who took the most risks and inherently had more originality. They were the first.

I would agree if there was something risky about creating a Pokémon that looks like a crab, and then calling it crab (in Japanese at least).

I would however like to amend my older post on here to talk about Lapras, another favourite of mine from this generation. Its design is ironic enough, as in I’m much happier with it being a prehistoric animal than a normal one, but the real point of interest is its name, especially in Japanese: Laplace. This is a blatant reference to Pierre-Simon Laplace, among other things a French mathematician who worked on the tides. Cool stuff if you ask me!

Leonhart

Imagineer

I disagree regarding the originality bit: a lot of Generation 1's Pokemon were simply based on animals, which isn't exactly original. And then a few were based on monsters, but ended up looking similar to each other, such as Nidoking, Saidon (Rhydon), and Garuura (Kangaskhan).

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
I disagree regarding the originality bit: a lot of Generation 1's Pokemon were simply based on animals, which isn't exactly original.

Huh?! They were the original Pokémon. They became the basis of what defines these fictional creatures, therefore they are inherently original. Originality is probably the one thing you can't take away from those. There were no Pokémon before them. A Pokémon being based on something doesn't take away any originality from it. Being based on something is part of what Pokémon are...

That some people might prefer more far-fetched designs is a matter of personal preference, nothing to do with originality or lack thereof.

And then a few were based on monsters, but ended up looking similar to each other, such as Nidoking, Saidon (Rhydon), and Garuura (Kangaskhan).

They are only similar in a very broad sense (and even that's questionable). The fact is that they are completely different and distinct from one another.

Last edited:

Minedreigon

Huh?! They were the original Pokémon. They became the basis of what defines these fictional creatures, therefore they are inherently original. Originality is probably the one thing you can't take away from those. There were no Pokémon before them. A Pokémon being based on something doesn't take away any originality from it. Being based on something is part of what Pokémon are...

That some people might prefer more far-fetched designs is a matter of personal preference, nothing to do with originality or lack thereof.

They are only similar in a very broad sense (and even that's questionable). The fact is that they are completely different and distinct from one another.
Originality: the ability to think independently and creatively.
250px-098Krabby.png

I don’t think I’m thinking at all independently or creatively if I just stuff a barely edited crab called crab in my game.

They definitely didn’t become the be all end all basis for what defines a Pokémon either because we never got a bird called bird or a horse called horse in later generations. Coming first gives you no more creativity than later things. The idea of Pokémon itself is a creative and original idea, but by no means does that give all of the first ones designed a free pass. Hell, most of them had Pokémon before them anyway: they had to be designed in some kind of order.

To make this meaningful I will talk about one more gen 1 favourite. Gyarados. Simple but abstract and effective enough design, gorgeous shiny, what more could you want? Love to use Gyarados even today.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Originality: the ability to think independently and creatively.

I don’t think I’m thinking at all independently or creatively if I just stuff a barely edited crab called crab in my game.

Pedantic much?

Original: Present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.

They took something that didn't exist into 'reality'. That requires and defines originality. Krabby was not a thing before it was created. It became once it was. It's very existence is inherently more original (same with the remaining original 150) than anything that came after, precisely because it came after.

And wether you like it or not, adapting animals is part of what defines the franchise.

They definitely didn’t become the be all end all basis for what defines a Pokémon either

Again, they were what defined the franchise. You didn't know what Pokémon were. They didn't exist. It was those first 151 that defined what Pokémon are. Everything else was expanded from that concept and wouldn't exist without that first set of pocket monsters.

oshawott7

cat burgler
Bulbasaur line: My first starter ever, absolutely adorable, one of Ash's best Pokemon.
Pidgeot: I've never been disappointed with any of my Pidgeots and I never get tired of using them either.
Raichu: The cutest electric rodent. Fact.
Eevee and Jolteon: I love Eevee in the anime mostly, they always manage to make it extra cute. Jolteon is my 2nd favorite Eeveelution after Espeon.
Zapdos: My favorite Pokemon overall, I have some of my best memories with my Zapdos in Gold.