1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite "KUSAKA! YOU MAD GENIUS!" moments.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by shoz999, Oct 21, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

So what is a "KUSAKA! YOU MAD GENIUS!" moment? Well it can be applied to any manga really. "Insert Author! YOU MAD GENIUS!" is a moment, a reaction of the reader through a realization that the author may have planned a twist ahead of time, hinting it subtly in previous story arcs or finding crazy loopholes in well-planned battle systems. There are lots of twists and planning that goes into the manga and it just seems so obvious when you think about it. A great example is SPOILERS!

Is X finding a loophole in using multiple Mega Evolutions at once by utilizing several different keystones bypassing the one Mega Stone one Key stone limit. This twist shocked a lot of people but at the same time it now seems so obvious. KUSAKA! YOU MAD GENIUS!

2. Moni_22

Moni_22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say this is something that was clearly planned, but for me I liked (spoilers of BW and FR/LG)

When Black got trapped into the white orb, because it was totally unexpected but a good plot twist to make you really excited to see the BW2 saga. .... Which is bad since he is still in there, but I liked it when it happened, similar to when the dexholders got petrified.

3. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Well-Known Member

FRLG/DP/BW spoilers
    Either ghetsis' team being made to counter black's (he had the same team from the games IIRC, so kusaka pretty much built up black's team to be perfectly countered by ghetsis') or sird being part of TG.

4. shoz999

One of my favorite KUSAKA! YOU MAD GENIUS moments I had was that I realized how possibly far did Kusaka planned the Gen 2 story arc that solved the many mysteries left by Gen 1 by looking at the details that just seem too coincidental now.

Mysteries such as where was Blue during her younger years, what's with that Pokemon kidnapping her that's clearly not from Kanto, who is the mysterious person who manage to take complete control of the legendary draconian-like Pokemon away from the master of dragons himself, Lance, heck what happened to Lance? And what's with the boy that Blue was talking to. And if you know your lore and made some guesses here and there, or just saw the preview for the upcoming GSC chapter, all fingers pointed to Johto. And guess what? EVEN MORE QUESTIONS were adding up as you read the GSC arc. Who was that mysterious man Gold met in the woods, why does Silver hate Team Rocket so much, what's with the Earthquakes and when it becomes obvious who the villain behind-the-scenes is, you have to ask how is he able to appear as this tall looming figure. That's one of the things I liked about Kusaka, how even when questions get answers, more questions are added which eventually get solved. However, how far was he planning this massive story arc?

I think it's pretty obvious to most fans that Kusaka probably didn't just came up with this story out of nowhere in time for Gen 2. During the Yellow Chapter (released an year before the Gold and Silver games), Blue is the one who gives Yellow her strawhat, the strawhat containing two feathers. Of course I suppose this one is far more understandable since this revelation of where Yellow got the hat was around the time of the Gold and Silver game releases however I believe it still goes far back, specifically the RGB Chapter. As a few of you may know the RGB chapter's last volume was released in 1998 as well, an year before the Gold and Silver games. Now if anyone finished the RGB chapter, it's pretty obvious Kusaka got his hands on the Gold and Silver games or MAYBE MAYBE Kusaka's research dived deep into Ho-Oh's creation which was actually before Gen 1. As some of you know, GameFreak was designing some Gen 2 Pokemon, some of which aren't official, as Gen 1 Pokemon. I don't think this is too surprising since A) Kusaka does a crazy amount of research for the manga and B) he has included Charmander's beta design before it's official design. Due to this, I believe Kusaka had the opportunity to plan ahead but of course GameFreak wanted his story to be contained to Gen 1.

Continuing on, Yellow's strawhat contains two feathers later revealed to be the Gold and Silver feathers in the GSC arc. I don't think it's a coincidence that Blue just gives her the hat secretly hiding two of the strongest keys to the Gen 2 villain's endgame plan with a ton of backstory revealed behind that hat. Later on Red notices that Blue has no real flying-type Pokemon because of what's later revealed. I literally realized as Blue's team was progressively building up, she had no true flying-type, only Jigglypuff for flying. Which means the planning Kusaka had for Gen 2 could possibly go as far back as Blue's introduction to the series, back when it was revealed she was the one who stole Squirtle from Prof. Oak's Lab and somehow manage to infiltrate Team Rocket's secret headquarter, not to mention the fact that she seemed to be on her own. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kusaka planned these three noticeable details right at the beginning that obviously says she's more than just some thief which would be later answered slowly throughout Gen 1 and Gen 2. Once I realized the amount of detail and planning Kusaka put in here that would later be addressed even before the revelation that she was kidnapped by a giant bird, I had a "KUSAKA! YOU MAD GENIUS!" moment.

How far was Kusaka planning this storyline? Was he making guesses that GameFreak would make sequels in the future or did he already knew about them during Gen 1 as their were a lot of Gen 2 designs made before Red and Blue were even completed? Did he planned it out thoroughly or had an outline of a plan. Was he not sure whether or not to follow through with these story plans and leave Blue's character obscure but enough to add a sense of mystery?

5. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

...Both GS and Ho-Oh were already known to the public as early as '97. Of course he knew there were going to be sequels.

And I doubt the Mask of Ice was planned back then, either. For someone who was kidnapped and made into a child soldier, you'd think that'd be brought up when she was crying to Oak or literally once during the first two chapters, but they weren't.

What is this "beta design" you've mentioned more than once? Charmander had spikes on its art for Red, Green, and Blue. Some Pokemon had design changes over the years, that's all.

6. shoz999

1. Makes sense that he already know about GS.
    2. Fair enough but I'm suggesting multiple ways that Kusaka could've planned this out including probably the most basic idea that we fans think he's going for with the Sird story arc, he's planning an outline of ideas that haven't been perfectly fleshed out yet, waiting for to fit a certain game's new lore and world to flesh out those outline of ideas into a far more detailed plan. For example he could've planned out the storyline that Blue has been kidnapped including the villain but never planned out Silver or the Mask of Ice back than simply because he never saw the concepts yet. He saw them and thought they were either A) the perfect roles for his storyline or B) he wants to find a way to fit in his vision and they just happen to fit in his outline well enough. The possibility of this on how far he planned the GSC storyline and how his possible plan evolved from Gen 1 to Gen 2 is intriguing no?
    3. As for Beta design, probably the wrong term. I get things mixed up here and there. I believe the proper term is pre-concept art?

7. Lucky3

Lucky3 Well-Known Member

I don't think Kusaka plans ahead all that much. What he does really well is tying together old things with new ones, and changing the plot in the middle of the story to fit later games relatively seamlessly. That's his 'MAD GENIUS' if you will. There are some things in the manga that look like they're planned but it's literally impossible that they were. That's why 'Kusaka sees the future' is a meme.

On another note, I love the fact that Guile Hideout's main Pokemon is a Surskit. You have this serious and mysterious badass that can take on Frontier Brains. And what Pokemon does he have? A freaking Surskit. That's exactly the kind of thing I would describe as MAD GENIUS.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    shoz999 and keepitsimple like this.
  8. shoz999

[​IMG]
    I know what you mean man! I freaking love Guile Hideout's and Surskuit's pose together. That is easily the most intimidating Surskuit you will ever see lol! One "MAD GENIUS!" moment I like is how Kusaka explains much of Guile Hideout's armor's properties of Reflect and Light Screen not through words but mostly through action including it's huge weakness. If you understand the competitive mechanics of Reflect and Light Screen, it's so stunningly badass to see Red's Poliwrath and Gold's Politoed teaming up and absolutely exposing the armors huge flaw without uttering a single word. One huge problem I feel the anime has is that it uses too much exposition to explain every simple action including simple things like running, swimming or eating. Here the manga doesn't word it, THEY SHOW IT.

[​IMG]