• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite (main series) graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I loved the graphics in Pokemon Battle Revolution! The 3d Pokemon were my favorite part and I can't wait to see this gen's Pokemon! The shading effects in that game were really good, too!

StarBP

Skyarrow Bridge is epic... glad to see they've cel-shaded instead of doing realistic rendering. I think that's their "proof of concept test" for the 3DS game, which will have to be in 3D to sell big (and when I say big, I mean HUGE)

Zachmac

I like PBR and B/W. However, I prefer will-o-wisp in Firered/Leafgreen. I also think Raikou and Lucario don't look cool enough on B/W.

yukamina

What, no one likes Gen IV?! I like Gen V the best, with Gen IV close behind. Well, Gen V can be a bit tough on the eyes (and the pixel sprites distort a bit at different distance) so the 2 are almost a tie for me.

What's so great about Gen III? The people have odd shaped heads, and the 2D field(especially the buildings) is pretty bad looking after playing later gens.

Zibdas

not bad
What, no one likes Gen IV?! I like Gen V the best, with Gen IV close behind. Well, Gen V can be a bit tough on the eyes (and the pixel sprites distort a bit at different distance) so the 2 are almost a tie for me.

What's so great about Gen III? The people have odd shaped heads, and the 2D field(especially the buildings) is pretty bad looking after playing later gens.

For me it's the whole feel and memory of the game. Can't remember the word I wanted...

hello moto

Top of the morning
I say generation IV (especially of Pt, Hg and Ss), for some reason those graphics really seem to fit pokemon.
Black and white, apart from the bridges and some cities,i didn't really like the overall graphics of the game, it doesn't look as polished as generation IV's did. Well to me it doesn't.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
EDIT: I answered this wrong originally. hehe

No offense, but I never really liked Red and Blue's graphics. I grew up on Gold and Silver. Hoenn was really cool for a while, and so was Sinnoh's. But so far, I'd say Unova is pretty beast.

I hated it at first. It almost didn't look like Pokemon anymore. HUGE shift from Sinnoh to Unova. But after a while, it was all cool. Just took some adjustment. I admit, it's a little rough, but they'll get the hang of it. But... Sinnoh's graphics comes in a close 2nd.

For me it's the whole feel and memory of the game. Can't remember the word I wanted...
The word I believe is nostalgia/nostalgic?

Last edited:

Swagmander

Gen III. It retained the 2D style of the first two gens and enhanced it, it was essentially Gn II graphics but sharper, much more colorful and much more pleasing to the eye. What don't I like about gen IV/V graphics? The framerate is too slow, and the 3D just doesn't feel as good as the 2D somehow. The graphics in the 3rd gen are the perfect blend of old and new. In terms of battle graphics, that's a different story. Nothing beats Black/White in terms of battle graphics!

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I prefer Gen III graphics, because I think that's the way Pokemon should be like. And I agree that they overdid with Gen V graphics. A lot of redundancy to be found, such as at places the content of the screen will be shown from a wacky angle that it's not even funny. It's plain annoying.

.....What. How do you not want better graphics!?

Better graphics =/= better quality.

DoubleJG3288

ポケモンはすごい!!
Gen IV (the later games) takes the cake for me. I really enjoyed having a picture pop-up whenever I entered a new area.

Sapphire_Pichu

I hate Ringo...
I really like the gen V graphics. I think a completely 3D game could be interesting and fun :)

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
I definitely have to say Gen V. The actual 3D shows promise, but could use a little tweaking. But everything besides Castelia, the Desert Route, White Forest and a few bridges, the graphics look much crisper than any previous game.

My second favorite was definitely a tie between SoulSilver (ironic, I hate the game :p) and Gen III Hoenn. I just looooove that region. The design scheme of the region itself was fantastic. If I could live in any region I would catch the first plane to Hoenn without hesitation.

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
HGSS had the best to me.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
B/W or HGSS....

Are people really trying to argue Gen III graphics surpass Gen IV and V?

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
B/W or HGSS....

Are people really trying to argue Gen III graphics surpass Gen IV and V?

Yes. They were arguably the biggest step forward in graphics for the franchise, and I, for one, loved the bright colors in the game. They suited the region perfectly. D/P/Pt/B/W all have very dark graphics, even in the day. They also have a feeling of nostalgia.

I see the Gen IV graphics as just a small improvement on the Gen III graphics, while Gen II added much more colors and better overall graphics, Gen III added more precise shading and coloring, as well as brightness and crispness that added to the overall integrity of the game. Gen V added 3D cities and bridges, and although they aren't perfect, they're definitely a more major graphic addition.

EDIT: Gen I was the beginning, so I don't have to talk about that one, do I?

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Yes. They were arguably the biggest step forward in graphics for the franchise, and I, for one, loved the bright colors in the game.

Bright is a pretty subjective term. I never thought of Gen III [namely RSE] as "bright."

So far Gen V has arguably been the biggest step forward in graphics.

I see the Gen IV graphics as just a small improvement on the Gen III graphics, while Gen II added much more colors and better overall graphics, Gen III added more precise shading and coloring, as well as brightness and crispness that added to the overall integrity of the game.

Not really. I didn't see as much "crispness" until Gen IV.

EDIT: Gen I was the beginning, so I don't have to talk about that one, do I?

I haven't seen anyone say Gen I were the best graphics or that they were his or her favorite graphics.

Kalosian

So long
I think the games from third, fourth and fifth generation has the best graphics. I cannot pick one game that stands out from the others, all of them has good and bad points when it comes to graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.