• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite musical composers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehGr81

College graduate
Any musical composers out there that you like to listen to? If so, feel free to post them here.

My favorite musical composer of all-time would have to be John Williams, mainly due to his scores for Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Superman: The Movie.

My other favorites are Alexander Courage (R.I.P.), Don Davis, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino, Jerry Goldsmith (R.I.P.), James Newton Howard, Trevor Rabin, Alan Silvestri, Ken Thorne and Hans Zimmer.

UPDATE: Every kind of composers are allowed here, except bands (of course).

Last edited:

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Davey Havok and Jade Pudget, and John Williams.

Fenix

Tremulant
Howard Shore and Micheal Land are my favorites.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think a distinction needs to be set between composer and song writer here. The guys from AFI aren't really composers are they?

Ralph Vaughan Williiams
Antonín Dvořák
Gustav Holst
Georg Frideric Handel
Jean-Michel Jaare

natie

Mr. F
Franz Liszt.

'Nuff said.

Love in a Mist

Mostly Harmless
I listen to a lot of instrumental music by Japanese composers... Nobuo Uematsu, Motoi Sakuraba, Yasunori Mitsuda, Joe Hisaishi, Yoko Kanno, etc. ^^
If we're talking classical classical though, I love Stravinski & Mussorgsky. Blame Fantasia xD

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Carlo Gesualdo
Igor Stravinsky
Bela Bartok

Best of what I've heard.

Also really fond of Schoenberg and Debussy. Liszt is cool. Don't feel like namedropping anymore now.

Larris

Barney Stinson!
Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer! :'D

hitoshura0

Well seeing as game composers are allowed, I'd have to go with Shoji Meguro, who does all the music for the SMT franchise. Try finding the Battle for Everybody's Souls or some of the Nocturne Music for his better works.

Evil Quagsire

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny
I'm really fond of minimalist composers, especially Phillip Glass and John Adams.
As for film composers, the best are Bernard Herrmann, Nino Rota, Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini, and John Williams.
As of late, I've come to really appreciate the work of Michael Giacchino (LOST tv series, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, Star Trek), Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica tv series), Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings films), Carter Burwell (Fargo, almost every other Joel & Ethan Coen film), Jon Brion (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Punch-Drunk Love), Alexandre Desplat (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Fantastic Mr. Fox), Nick Cave (The Proposition, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford), and Joe Hisaishi (every movie directed by Hayao Miyazaki).

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think a lot of Minimalist stuff is more something to be appreciated rather than listened to for pleasure. Like a piece of art that uses music or sound as its medium. Like Steve Reich's It's Gonna Rain, I wouldn't think 'you know what, I fancy listen to it'. But as a piece of art its quite interesting to listen to and appreciate what he's doing. But I do find some of Reich's music nice to listen to, such as Music for 18 musicians.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Rush has always been a good band. Their music seems to be the exact opposite of rap, telling a good story with music that backs it up. Feels like a book on tape rather than a song...

treespyro

Vintage much?
In Movies it has to be a toss between John Williams and John Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.