• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Nintendo Series

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Discuss your favorite or one of your favorite Nintendo series. I'll start off with one of my favorites and an important series for JRPG history, Xenoblade Chronicles.

220px-Xenoblade_box_artwork.png

So I freaking love Monolith's world-building. They are without a doubt the most beautiful crafted worlds you will ever see in a video game that even with the limited hardware, people have claim it to look better than games like the Witcher 3 for its art-style alone. To this day I still see the majority of JRPG fans who play both Xenoblade Chronicles X and FInal Fantasy XV often say Xenoblade Chronicles X has the more impressive and livelier open world. However it's not just an artistically stunning series, it's a pretty important series too, specifically the very first Xenoblade Chronicles.

So for those who don't remember or aren't aware of how JRPGs were during the Wii-PS3 era, the main focus of it was pretty much all about graphics, graphics and graphics. This was a time that many major JRPG developers didn't seem quite sure what direction to take their series into, with many prioritizing in state-of-the-art graphics as the focus. The most famous example of this is Final Fantasy 13 on the PS3 which was praised for its graphics but criticized for its gameplay and linear world design to the point that Square Enix saw FF13's reception damaging the FF brand and wanted to fix that with sequels. Interestingly enough, this trend on more stunning graphics over gameplay bored Tetsuya Takahashi, the founder of Monolith Soft and creator of the Xeno series. For Xenoblade Chronicles, he envisioned a game with an action-packed shonen story where exploration and a sense of being overwhelmed would be huge themes to the game and thus Xenoblade Chronicles stood apart from the majority of other JRPGs at the time through its innovating open world design and an interesting combat system that has been compared to FF12. Hence, that is why Xenoblade Chronicles is so remembered to this day.

This was a pretty big deal at the time and perhaps still is. This is because Xenoblade Chronicles also released during a time when most JRPG developers were still experimenting with the open world formula with the majority of these series coming out with half-baked results, often where the open world transition either hinders the gameplay or that it adds the open world but not the open world exploration similar to the vast but empty Hyrule Field of Twilight Princess. A lot of JRPGs at this time couldn't get the open world formula right and to this day there are still JRPG developers struggling with this concept. This is where Xenoblade Chronicles comes in for essentially doing open world design right and thus was seen as a breath of fresh air by many JRPG fans. It's not perfect of course, fetch quests are the subject of hate when it comes to discussing Xenoblade's open world design but it was without a doubt a huge leap into the right direction of open world JRPGs that it caught the interest of Tetsuya Nomura of the Final Fantasy series and that the Monolith Soft team were asked to assist with the open world design of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Smash Bros. (The Ultimate Crossover)
Pokemon (Biology the video game)
Mario (Good mega series)
Zelda (Love to explore and problem solve)
Pikmin (A serene environment with some good story notes)
Earthbound (A quirky RPG that needs to be experienced)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
One of my favorite series is Mario. Got into it as a kid and just loved seeing the evolution of it, right up to the Super Mario Maker series and beyond.

I really like the Zelda series as well. Just a nice series to play and enjoy.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My ultimate favorite? Pokémon of course. But I also love the Mario, Smash Bros, Kirby, And Zelda series. They have the best games ever and I keep buying each new game. I also like the Metroid series but I haven’t played too much of the games other than Fusion.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Pokémon is the series I’ve been the most consistently invested in since childhood. There are plenty of things that make the series appealing, ranging from exploration, battles, side activities, and more. But what I think makes it stand out so much is the sheer customizability of it. When you begin your adventure, you immediately choose between three different starting Pokémon. Then, you can set off to capture and use any other ones you want. You even get the option to trade over Pokémon that you don’t typically find in the game from your previous ones if you want to change up which Pokémon to play with.

Actually, even before all of that, you get to choose which version you want! I know some people may not like the idea of different versions, but I think that’s what made my games feel so special to me. I grew up with my brother having one version, and myself having the other. I felt that the game I had was distinguishable from the one my brother had, and therefore, felt more personal. (But then, maybe I just felt that way because my brother had more of his own things since he was older, and I didn’t like his stuff being handed down to me.) It’s not just about me though, as I’ve grown to become really interested in other people’s preferences and what kinds of Pokémon they enjoy. I like watching people’s top 10 videos and asking about their favorites. Pokemon games have typically been so diverse in what kinds of creatures they make and in giving that freedom of preference and decision-making to the players, and that’s why I love it so much.

———————

Zelda is the next series that I’ve played the most of. The legends and stories that they tell in each game are made in ways that keep me so interested. I have so much nostalgia for Oracle of Ages, as well as Wind Waker. Skyward Sword has a great origin story for the series itself. Majora’s Mask has such a unique atmosphere with many thought-provoking mysteries. I really like the general gameplay, exploration, and freedom of the games as a whole. And then there’s the music. I LOVE THE MUSIC! The older games’ retro music is catchy, and the rest have awesome-sounding orchestration! The diversity in the soundtracks makes it one of the games series I constantly listen to. This series is epic in so many ways, and pretty much every single mainline game it released has super great quality.

———————

One more I’ll talk about is the Yoshi series. I’ve played and enjoyed plenty of Mario platformers before (also the Paper, Party, Kart, and baseball ones), but I ended up preferring Yoshi more. Something about the colorful art styles, the green dinosaur that looks cute and makes cute noises, and overall kid-friendly vibe must have stuck with me. Yoshi’s Island is the most memorable and nostalgic. I’ve also played Topsy Turvy, with really nice aesthetics although incredibly frustrating gameplay. Then there’s Woolly World, the one with the best, most diverse soundtrack of them all. You also get to customize and design your very own Yoshi in the 3DS version, which I LOVED and didn’t realize how much I would’ve wanted that before. I haven’t played other ones, but I at least want to try out Yoshi’s Story for myself sometime. Even though it has a lot of games with mixed reception, this series still stands out to me as a bright, comfortable-looking one that I find myself thinking about and going back to.

I’ve had memories with so many other Nintendo series like Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, and Animal Crossing. The soundtracks for Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are amazing along with Zelda. I really like them all, but these three are immediately what I consider to be my favorites.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I actually like a lot of Nintendo series. I love Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Smash, Fire Emblem, etcetera. However, if you made me have to pin down my ultimate favorite, it would likely be Mario. There are just so many types of Mario games out there from platformers, to RPGs, to sports games, to even strategy games with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. There are also a lot of characters in the Mario-verse, directly, and that's not counting cameos from other series in there as well. It just has so much storyline potential and for a writer like me, I really like that.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Pokèmon is my favorite video game series in general due to how vast the world is. My close second is tied with Smash & Mario. Don’t really care for anything else in general

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I love Pokemon and Kirby.

I also like smash bros a lot, but i don't really have access to games other than melee at the moment.

I've played melee tons though. Kirby's generally been a favorite character of mine to use ;3

And probably anything else pink or cute. If used right, you'd also be amazed how awesome the sweet and positively upbeat looking ones can be....