• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

Who is your favorite Gym Leader out of the Paldean roster? These are mine:

• Brassius - As an artist myself, I've always loved artistic types in Pokémon, and Brassius is another one of those. I also like his relationship with Hassel, the art teacher at the Paldea region's academy, and the fact that he uses a Sudowoodo - which many people have mistaken for a Grass-type, until it Terastalizes...
  • Iono - Her being a livestreamer might have something to do with it, though I also like her design as well - I especially love it when her Magnemite hair bobbles change expression just before battle.
  • Larry - He might seem an unlikely pick, looking rather boring, but there's something about him that makes me love him. Maybe because he's the most realistic Gym Leader to date, the kind of everyman in all of us?
  • Grusha - He's just so cool-looking (pun somewhat intended), and I like the backstory with him having a pro snowboarding career before it sadly came to an abrupt end. And like many others, I thought he was a girl when he was first revealed in the trailer, which brought back memories of mistaking Bugsy for a girl. :p

vondecayle

Larry, Iono and Tulip.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
For some reason, polls aren't enabled in this subforum. I've already tried way back when the starters were revealed and there's simply no option, even for a mod like me.

Anyway, my favorite is Larry and Kofu.

Larry is the best Gym Leader in the whole franchise, imo. He is the embodiment of normal, which ironically seems abnormal and out of place in the world of Pokemon. Whitney is just a crybaby. Norman felt more like a Fighting-type Gym Leader and he never really felt like our dad in the game. Cheren is tied to being a rival and I can never see him as a Gym Leader. Lenora is the least memorable Normal-type Gym Leader for me; I even had to look up a list of GLs and found that I missed her name.

Kofu surprised me. I really like his personality. Very fun. He seems like the guy I can be friends with in real life. He and Siebold share the same concept of a Water-type chef, but Siebold is so forgettable.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
For me it is a tie between Iono and Kofu with Larry being a close second. Love the personalities of Iono and Kofu while Larry is probably the most relatable, ironically fitting the role of a Normal-type Gym Leader to a tee.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
For me it is a tie between Iono and Kofu with Larry being a close second. Love the personalities of Iono and Kofu while Larry is probably the most relatable, ironically fitting the role of a Normal-type Gym Leader to a tee.

I like to think Larry and Iono have some kind of dynamic together, even though they have completely contrasting personalities. I often imagine Larry being a guest on Iono's livestream, with Larry looking totally serious while Iono is being her usual loud and cheerful self. :p

Lenora is the least memorable Normal-type Gym Leader for me; I even had to look up a list of GLs and found that I missed her name.

Probably because she was the Gym Leader only once? (Technically twice, but I count her appearances as a GL as just one.)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
For some reason, polls aren't enabled in this subforum. I've already tried way back when the starters were revealed and there's simply no option, even for a mod like me.

Anyway, my favorite is Larry and Kofu.

Kofu surprised me. I really like his personality. Very fun. He seems like the guy I can be friends with in real life. He and Siebold share the same concept of a Water-type chef, but Siebold is so forgettable.
Kofu is indeed a great character, his stylish dual colored beard is something you wouldn't seem to expect and a big apron. Only problem is that i don't really eat any exotic sea-food though.
Siebold just came off as being rude depending on your answer to him in the X/Y games

Iono is second favorite choice she does talk fast and makes little sense but her losing animation where her Magneton's pop off her hair was just priceless.

Larry's gym challenge is great but his Elite 4 team was odd. He hides that he is quite familiar with flying types in the Elite 4 trial despite a last decision team change.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Larry's gym challenge is great but his Elite 4 team was odd. He hides that he is quite familiar with flying types in the Elite 4 trial despite a last decision team change.

If you look very closely at Larry's tie, it's sky-blue with some clouds on it, which probably foreshadows his E4 type specialization. I think he changed it because the other E4 members probably said, "Ew, Normal. Who's ever heard of a NORMAL-type Elite 4 member?" :p

Baggie_Saiyan

Iono definitely, she was the hardest then probably Grusha

Not a fan of Larry especially the cop out he was also a E4 member (the entire E4 characters were underwhelming imo)

Pokefan_1987

Iono definitely, she was the hardest then probably Grusha

Not a fan of Larry especially the cop out he was also a E4 member (the entire E4 characters were underwhelming imo)
Iono being hard ?muehaha *laughs like salem saberhagen evil laugh*?

I focused on brought a high level Gible with Bulldoze and Skeledirge strategy and along for her team. Lots of EXP candies do help. I pretty much shut down her electric moves. Most of her team had Spark and Charge Beam. Saving Skeledirge until last so her Dark moves don't hit you too hard and i beat her fast.

My difficulty rankings were top to bottom (easy to hard)
Iono
Katy
Brassius
Larry
Tulip
Kofu
Grusha (His high level 56 pokemons were really high, I originally his gym to be my 5th on my path but he ended up 7th)
Ryme
(Montenevera city was ridiculous when trying to reach it. No obvious pathways or tunnels in the desert mountain nearby.
I had to use Miraidon to glitch onto the mountains above Glaseado City before Miraidon learns climb naturally and then had to bunnyhop until i found a spot to glide a long distance off from the mountain towards Montenevera)

Last edited:

Luthor

I quite enjoyed Ryme's gym. Mostly because it was a double battle which given how rare those are in scarlet and violet. Also her team didn't have Gengar which meant it felt a bit different to most Ghost teams. I was surprised she didn't use Gholdengo but at least she did have variety.

vondecayle

I’ll rank them from favorite to least favorite

1. Iono 9.8 pts.
1. Tulip 9.7 pts.
3. Larry 9.7 pts.
4. Grusha 9.5 pts.
5. Katy 7 pts.
6. Ryme 5 pts.
7. Brassius 1 pts.
8. Kofu 0.5 pts.

Tulip and Grusha use a lot of pokemon that I like. Specially Grusha, I tend to use winter pokemon, not that I don’t like others of course, but my team has that aesthetic sometimes. I also like Larry’s dialogue about normal pokemon. That’s a pokemon typing that I like a lot too.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

I quite enjoyed Ryme's gym. Mostly because it was a double battle which given how rare those are in scarlet and violet. Also her team didn't have Gengar which meant it felt a bit different to most Ghost teams. I was surprised she didn't use Gholdengo but at least she did have variety.
Indeed, giving players a chance to see Gholdengo in action could have enticed players to work harder to obtain it.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
That said SuMo probably still has the most underwhelming E4 with just one unique member

Probably because it had just been formed when the SM games take place?

Gengar is kind of like the Ghost version of Pikachu. They even have similar body shapes, kind of. Is the Gengar family in SV?

Tsukisha

Absolutely Iono, no question for me. First of all, she uses Mismagius who's one of my favourite Pokémon and, just like I do, she uses it with an Electric-type move. When I can transfer my Mismagius from Shining Pearl to Scarlet, in fact, I'm going to make electricity out of its Tera-type.
As for the aesthetics, I like the way she's dressed and her animation during the Pokémon battle which reminds me a bit of Acerola, another character I like. Also, I think Levincia is based on Barcelona.

Scovillain

Mmm Tulip is the Fantina of Paldea. But I still prefer Fantina as Tulip still be too skinny for me.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
My favourites are Larry, Iono and Tulip. Larry because I can definitely relate to being a worn-down, overworked adult whose work has taken over their life, Iono because she's cute and the game's mockery of Twitch streamers and their followers is hilarious, and Tulip because she's gorgeous.