1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Pokemon Dialogue Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, May 27, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

This conversation between the Trial Captains and some of the Kahuna's about Sophocle's newest invention is just hilarious. Spoilers as usual as this is from Pokemon Adventures Sun & Moon.

Sophocles - In an unexpected turn of events, this contraption ended up being able to fly. So, me and Molayne remade it to be big enough to fit people inside!
    Lana - I-is this the device from before that couldn't summon the Totem Pokemon? Not even once?
    Mallow - This is going to be a failure!
    Kiawe - ...
    Acerola - Eh!? That's totally going to crash! Acerola's gonna pass.
    Ilima - And where do you think you're going Mina?
    Mina - Er...
    Olivia - I uh... I'll think I'll hitch a ride on Skarmoy with Kahili.
    Kahili - ...
    Hapu - I'm not going near that thing unless it's my Mudsdale.
    Nanu - Yeah... I'm old and get motion sick, kid. I'm gonna pass.
    Sophocles - ... IT WILL FLY IF I SAY IT WILL FLY! HURRY UP AND GET ON!

2. FullFathomsFive

FullFathomsFive Well-Known Member

Steven stopping the player en route to the Cave of Origin to ask, out of the blue:

"Do you think Pokemon should be feared?"

It's a very timely question given that Groudon and Kyogre are presently destroying the world, and one that the series hasn't really touched upon before or since. Given how much of the dialogue earlier in the series revolves around assuming the player is hopelessly devoted to collections of pixels, it's unusual that the writers actually cut straight to the heart of what the player is thinking in these circumstances.

And the answer has to be 'Yes', right? For every Squirtle we befriend there's an Ursaring just around the corner ready to gnaw our bones.

3. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important."

- Karen, Elite Four

This quote has stuck with me since I was a child. It is how I play both Pokémon and all fighting games. As Dookieshed put it best, Karen summed up the entire point of video games in general. We don't play it because of some strict, calculating desire to be superior. We play it because it's f**kin' fun.

wolf jani, catzeye and shoz999 like this.
  4. I've been waiting for you. I knew that you, with your skills, would eventually reach me here. There's no need for words now. We will battle to determine who is the stronger of the two of us. As the most powerful trainer and as the POKéMON LEAGUE CHAMPION... I, LANCE, the dragon master, accept your challenge!

MockingJ and shoz999 like this.
  5. shoz999

So spoilers below for anyone who hasn't reached the GSC arc yet but I like this exchange of words because it's pretty rare to see Elite Four members, much less before the formation of an Elite Four group, chat each other like good friends. It's especially interesting because we've already seen each of their stories fleshed out as individuals, building up to a satisfying formation of the Johto Elite Four.

Will - "Now that the old man is gone, what are we going to do now Karen?"
    Karen - "I don't know... huh?"
    Koga - "Why don't you come with us?"
    Karen - "And you are..."
    Bruno - "A couple of guys who used to be just like you."
    Koga - "I'm Koga. A leftover from the old Team Rocket."
    Bruno - "I'm Bruno. A leftover from the old Elite Four."
    Karen - "And we're leftovers from the new Team Rocket. You're asking us to join your club of strays? What do you think, Will?"
    Will - "I don't care who we hang with as long as I'm not bored."

6. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Wait, where is this from?

7. shoz999

Near the end of Pokemon Adventures GSC, Vol. 14's "The Last Battle XIV"

8. Italianbaptist

Italianbaptist Informed Casual

"Looking out at the rain like this... reminds me of this one time when I was little."
    "I'd seen it in a movie... this man singing and dancing in the rain. It captivated me so much that I had to try it for myself. My mother spotted me out in the rain, and she was so shocked that she ran right out after me without even bothering to get an umbrella..."
    "And then...she smiled... and she danced with me in the rain. Of course we both ended up catching cold. She let me sleep in her big bed with her. I was so happy that I kept waking her again and again, just to be sure it wasn't a dream..."
    "But... then she changed. And all she would think about was the Ultra Beasts. And Null and Nebby... They both ended up suffering so much... and I couldn't do anything..."
    "But you know what, <player>? Whenever I feel like there's nothing I can do, you seem to show up and...you do something. Every time, you've shown me that it's possible... to do something."

Lillie on Exeggutor Island

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    shoz999 likes this.
  9. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Might as well put this one since a LOT of people tend to miss it or go during the post game instead of before.

When you capture Nebby in USUM at Mahalo Trial. The reasons for her giving you Nebby makes a bit more sense besides Lillie isn't a trainer while you are, you are the trainer who can beat and help Necrozma and Nebby is willing to help out. (So we are told.)

This is what she says.

"Nebby.... you brought your light to everyone and..."
    "I know that you will keep making everyone smiling and happy, player. Thank you for taking care of Nebby for me."
    "Nebby... I'm going to become stronger. I swear I will! Now it will be your turn to watch over me as I grow, OK? Please watch me..."

Despite how Lillie and her arc lost focus in USUM and isn't as detailed, this is the final big thing... or should be for those not rushing, before the end of the game... and the beginning of the post game where Lillie takes another big step in becoming stronger as a person. Becoming a trainer... a support by the post game, but a pretty good support. (Especially at the Battle Tree.) Delivering on that final vow she made with Nebby. (It isn't the cute moment from SM... but its still pretty strong.)

It's a trade off story wise, an arc that isn't as focused or detailed... but an ending that is more complete and satisfactory.

shoz999 likes this.
  10. TRNRLogan

TRNRLogan Active Member

Little girl: Where'd you come from

Player choice: Yes or no

Firefo×Fennekin likes this.
  11. shoz999

I love this little scene from Pokemon Adventures BW2 because this is so unlike Hugh lol who is always so angry.

Hugh - "I-I'm sorry."
    The Girls - "EH!?"
    Girl 1 - "D-did Hugh actually apologized!?"
    Girl 2 - "I don't believe it! Is something very awful going to happen!?"
    Girl 3 - "I'm scared!"

TRNRLogan likes this.
  12. Dicklaycia

Dicklaycia Objectively Better Than You

Anything and everything that comes out of a Team Skull Grunt's mouth, frankly, is my favorite dialogue.
    Especially, "What, so I'm lower than a Pokémon? I've already got self-esteem issues, man!"

TRNRLogan and shoz999 like this.
  13. shoz999

"I'm going to live on, without running away from the fact that Giovanni is my father. Whatever happens from here on, my heart is already set. I don't know what my father intends to do about Team Rocket or about me, but I'll keep going, and work hard to atone for his crimes. Besides... I won't let my father commit another crime and for all the wrongdoings that he's responsible for, I will share the burden with him." - Silver from Pokemon Adventures