1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Pokemon TCG set?

Discussion in 'Pokémon TCG Discussion' started by Ubermuk, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Out of all the sets of Pokemon cards that have ever been released which set is your favorite and why?

My favorite is the Base set because that's the set that began the card game and it had some of the best artwork including Venusaur's and Charizard's cards.

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'd say that it's a three-way tie for me between the Fossil set, the first Rocket-dan set, and the Neo Genesis set. I loved the Fossil set because it introduced many of my favorite Pokemon cards from the Gen I era, and it completed the Kanto Pokemon collection [with the exception of Mew in the international release]. The first Rocket-dan set holds a special place in my heart because I bought the Devastation theme deck for my ninth birthday, and the Neo Genesis set started the Gen II era of the TCG.

3. xSweetSlayerx

xSweetSlayerx Card Collector

Oh dear. That's a good question. I think I like the original base set the most, just for nostalgia's sake, but I also liked Neo Discovery. One of my collections is all the cards from Generation 1 and 2 because I love all the old artwork. This started to look "mainstream" in Gen 3, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

I can definitely tell you what my least favorite set is, though. The initial set of XY. For a card art collector like me, what a load of suck. Every card's illustrator was 5Ban Graphics. How boring was that?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Leonhart likes this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I pretty much stopped collecting all the cards when the Gen III era began since I also wasn't a fan of the artwork, and partially because the game lost its novelty for me by then. I really liked the Neo Discovery set though, although my one complaint was that there were too many Unown cards.

5. Scorbunnie

Scorbunnie Well-Known Member

From the newer card sets I liked Dragons Exalted but from the retro card series Base Set 2 was great because it reprinted so many good cards for a cheaper price.

6. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Wasn't Dragons Exalted the first set that featured the Dragon-type Energy theme? I don't think I have any cards from that set either in English or Japanese, but I vaguely remember being excited that Dragons received their own Energy. As for Base Set 2, I recall that set being controversial because the secondary market card prices dropped after that set was released.