• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Pokemon Videogame Boxarts

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
As the title says.

prHylwx.jpg
lDqbBd2.jpg

What I like about the HGSS boxart is how you can literally see the areas where these local legends come from, for Ho-oh being Ecruteak City and Lugia being the Whirlpool Islands. However you can also see nearby locations as well which gives an idea where these locations are at.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have the best box art by far. The fact that Ultra Necrozma is in the background as a tease is amazing.

shoz999

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have the best box art by far. The fact that Ultra Necrozma is in the background as a tease is amazing.
That lead to so much speculation on what that could possibly be. Even people who thought that was Necrozma, the third member, had no clue why he looked like that.

You know what else had amazing boxart. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the originals!

671px-MD_Blue_EN_boxart.jpg

600px-MD_Red_EN_boxart.jpg

I just like how the locations are connected, the red color tones represented by the lighting of the flames and the brown-reddish cave while the blue color tones are represented by the darkness of night and the bluish-green forest.

Ignition

That lead to so much speculation on what that could possibly be. Even people who thought that was Necrozma, the third member, had no clue why he looked like that.

671px-MD_Blue_EN_boxart.jpg

600px-MD_Red_EN_boxart.jpg

I just like how the locations are connected, the red color tones represented by the lighting of the flames and the brown-reddish cave while the blue color tones are represented by the darkness of night and the bluish-green forest.
I’m not a fan of the Mystery Dungeon series but I love this artwork. I guess I love box art that connects to make one big picture lol

Ignition

672px-Super_Mystery_Dungeon_EN_boxart.png

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon also has some awesome artwork. To me it says, "Let's do this Dream Team!"
You just brought back so much nostalgia. Got this game as a gift before I took a long flight over winter break and this box art had me invested instantly. I was shocked that Charizard and Sceptile were Mega Evolved. Feels like this would be a shot in a Pokèmon only anime

maya1000

You just brought back so much wistfulness. Got this diversion as a blessing before I took a long trip over winter break and this case craftsmanship had me contributed in a split second. I was stunned that Charizard and Sceptile were Mega Evolved. Has an inclination that this would be a shot in a Pokèmon just anime

M.P.

Retired
For the main series, I think HG/SS have the best boxarts, as they have cool backgrounds, and the artstyle is different from other games' boxarts.

Overall, I think the first Mystery Dungeon artworks are the best. Took me far too long to realize the hole in Red's boxart's ceiling is the same one the Pokemon are looking down to in Blue's boxart.

shoz999

0b08f55de966ce5e56438f65a5125777.jpg

Pokemon Ranger always stood out to me as a kid. It looked less like a game box art to be honest and more like the cover of a DVD of an anime adaptation, more specifically a kick-ass anime opening.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
HGSS with the background and larger box in general would be my favourite set.

Colosseum/XD weren't bad either.

SapphireRose

Morning☼Sun
Overall, I think the first Mystery Dungeon artworks are the best. Took me far too long to realize the hole in Red's boxart's ceiling is the same one the Pokemon are looking down to in Blue's boxart.
... ... ...omg. I didn't realize that until you said this.

I think for me my favorites are HGSS for their artistry and texture and Emerald cuz it was pretty and shiny ^^

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I always enjoy looking at the Mystery Dungeon box arts (except Gates to Infinity’s since it just used game models and not the usual art style.) The main series ones are generally also nice to look at, and I’m glad they’ve added more setting details to the backgrounds in HG/SS and XY onwards. The Ranger ones format the art with the Pokémon in a very cool way.

Back when I played Pokémon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire a lot, I was always amused at how its art depicts the ones at the center going on some wild ride while holding onto the pokeball. And Pichu trying to hang on to Treecko!

(From Bulbapedia/IGN)
Pinball_RS_EN_boxart.png

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Back when I played Pokémon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire a lot, I was always amused at how its art depicts the ones at the center going on some wild ride while holding onto the pokeball. And Pichu trying to hang on to Treecko!

(From Bulbapedia/IGN)
Pinball_RS_EN_boxart.png

Hell yes.

pokemon_stadium__01257.1432323728.jpg

I have to say Pokémon Stadium's my favorite boxart. It's the Charizard vs. Blastoise battle, but it's exactly as advertised, and it just looks so cool.

Detective Pikachu's boxart's pretty nice to look at, too.
DTWXiIyX0AApjpt.jpg

Lol he only gets that smock in chapter seven but then never wears it again.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
HGSS with the background and larger box in general would be my favourite set.

Colosseum/XD weren't bad either.
Yea I really loved their box arts.

Also really liked Sapphire's and Emerald's. Nice and simple and the Legendary Pokemon really stuck out nicely.

mana1000

Even people who thought that was Necrozma, the third member, had no clue why he looked like that.

shoz999

220px-Pok%C3%A9mon_XD-_Gale_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

This is a very nostalgic one for me. I not only like Shadow Lugia here surrounded by shadowy winds but also the logo that's shaped like lugia. You know what's funny though? Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD probably gave Ho-Oh and Lugia far bigger roles in their story than HGSS ever did and HGSS is quite a massive game.