• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Pokemon Voice Actor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Agreed. I think a lot of people don't know that she voiced May. I'm actually finding her Ash is heavily overrated these days in comparison to her fellow VAs from the 4Kids English dub: it's like most fans confuse the show Pokemon for Ash's Adventures. I've noticed the fav among the casts seem to be Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart for the 4Kids dub and Michele Knotz and James Cathcart for TPCi dub. I actually do agree that those are the best VAs from both casts IMO. Still personally I really do think after rewatching all the dub eps the 4Kids English cast is a much better pick for the chars than the current, though I'm used to the current VAs and can at least tolerate them now although I'd rather 4Kids edited dub than TPCi's less edited dub and their voice talent when all is said and done. Veronica Taylor doesn't even want to talk about Pokemon anymore: she seems almost traumatized by the very mention of it. I really am very ashamed to see how they were treated and it's quite pathetic to see how little people respect them and 4Kids for their dub. Money, greed, lies, and real life had to hit Pokemon- it sucks but eventually these things happen and nothing can be done. Sucks that SOVA and others couldn't stop this in the end, but money wins over the fans and that's that. What's hilarious is that people still want her back as Ash with or without the others and I know she'd never do that and I'm glad she won't. She even went as far as in 2008 to say then PUSA killed Pokemon. There's a vid on YouTube with her stating that. She obviously doesn't like the way she and the others were treated. Neither does Eric Stuart: he recently said he was fine with being replaced but the way it was done for money and greed, he is not fine with. They literally told him that fans wouldn't care if we recast the show...I applaud both of them for staying so strong after being treated that way. At least Eric's music career is looking better and he seems a lot happier these days. Mrs. Taylor also seems happy excluding Pokemon talk. Haven't heard from Rachael in a long time but ever since the cameo she got in S11 she seems traumatized and doesn't wish to return as far as I see.

Well its been many, many years now. Its probably not something they generally think about anymore unless they're asked by fans. They're adults who work professionally voice acting lots of other characters in other cartoons/anime, so they've moved on. Sure they'd probably all return if given the chance, but they know its very unlikely at this point so they don't bother talking about it anymore.

Granted one thing I must point out, is I don't think either 4kids or the VA's thought the Pokemon anime would go on forever either back in the day. If you listen to those commentaries on the old movie DVDs, they make it sound like they thought the anime was going to end after Johto or something, like they didn't know the show was going to go on throughout a decade. I think they believed Pokemon would only have a 5-7 year run like most standard shows, not go on for 15+ years.

Bluelatios*

From what it looks like to me, they did go through a sad period where it was painful to talk about Pokemon, but nowadays they seem better about it. Veronica and Eric in particular are constantly attending cons. They did a Pokemon panel earlier this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoB4aZQVaX4. It's nice that they have so much passion for their career and their fans. They definitely do a lot to make themselves known.

Well its been many, many years now. Its probably not something they generally think about anymore unless they're asked by fans. They're adults who work professionally voice acting lots of other characters in other cartoons/anime, so they've moved on. Sure they'd probably all return if given the chance, but they know its very unlikely at this point so they don't bother talking about it anymore.

Granted one thing I must point out, is I don't think either 4kids or the VA's thought the Pokemon anime would go on forever either back in the day. If you listen to those commentaries on the old movie DVDs, they make it sound like they thought the anime was going to end after Johto or something, like they didn't know the show was going to go on throughout a decade. I think they believed Pokemon would only have a 5-7 year run like most standard shows, not go on for 15+ years.

True: very valid points you make though Cyber. Just happy they feel better nowadays, although Veronica is still kind of sad but all of them seem a lot happier nowadays for the most part. I feel it's quite stupid how this occurred and it sucks IMO but you know it happens and sometimes it just doesn't work out for some fans. Granted it's been such a long time since then but I get the feeling they would return to cameo like the others, given the chance. But like you said someone there has it out for them for one reason or another, so it's unlikely they will return. But you never know, could happen.

And I think you're definitely right about how I think they felt it would not last nearly this long. 15 years, just think of how long the anime's been running. Hopefully we won't have another one of these recasting messes unless the original dub VAs return by some miracle IMO.

Last edited:
From what it looks like to me, they did go through a sad period where it was painful to talk about Pokemon, but nowadays they seem better about it. Veronica and Eric in particular are constantly attending cons. They did a Pokemon panel earlier this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoB4aZQVaX4. It's nice that they have so much passion for their career and their fans. They definitely do a lot to make themselves known.

I hope, as low as odds are of this happening, SOVA does succeed in hopefully one day getting them back on the show in some form, even just a cameo or two. I think the VAs do seem to care so very much, and that vid is a good example of that, and the voice acting they did really shows to me they loved every minute. I swear, Stuart's James and Blaustein's Meowth are the thing that kept me plowing through Johto fillers because they made me laugh so much. Taylor's Ash makes me cry and tugs at my heartstrings and it seems so genuine, like she really cared for that role and she defines it for me. What can I say but they are simply epic in my eyes. Sure they aren't the best VAs we could have gotten of course, but they definitely were excellent VAs in my eyes and Pokemon International could always use them back on the show, some more talent after all for them. ;)

So it is just a disappointment I guess that things turned out the way they did, but all we can do is hope for the best and look forward.
I will give credit where credit is due, and that's not to say I hate TPCi voices. At least most of the current crew are leaps and bounds above where they started, and that's great. It's certainly far better than before. Still, the original VAs have a special place in my heart and really deserve better but sadly TPCi didn't seem to think so. 4Kids and them should've just come to an agreement or something in hindsight.

(apologies for double posting to staff: I'm typing this on my iPad so I'd have to retype my message to cyber above and I'm too lazy to do that).

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Just as a note, let's take a moment to remember Maddie Blaustein, who passed away four years ago today (December 11th). Rest in peace, Maddie. :(

Just as a note, let's take a moment to remember Maddie Blaustein, who passed away four years ago today (December 11th). Rest in peace, Maddie. :(

Dammit Wobbanut, you're going to make me cry. Maddie was the way I loved Meowth best (no offense intended to those whose opinions may differ). May she R.I.P. T_T

Misty Ketchum66

~Pokeshipping~
I really like the original cast of who voiced all the characters. Veronica Taylor as Ash just makes me so happy when I hear him speaking. I don't mind the newer actor, I just would really like her to come back.
Besides that, what are the names of all the voice actors for Pokemon currently?

~Misty

I really like the original cast of who voiced all the characters. Veronica Taylor as Ash just makes me so happy when I hear him speaking. I don't mind the newer actor, I just would really like her to come back.
Besides that, what are the names of all the voice actors for Pokemon currently?

~Misty

I prefer and LOVE the original dub voices for all the main characters as well, but I don't mind the current ones either anymore.

Sarah Natochenny is Ash/Delia now.
Bill Rogers is Brock now.
Michele Knotz is Misty, Jessie, and May now.
Kayzie Rogers is Max now.
James Carter Cathcart is James and Meowth now (Otherwise known as Jimmy Zoppi).

Non-replacements:
Emily Bauer- Dawn
Eileen Stevens - Iris
Jason Griffith- Cilan

That's everyone to my knowledge in The Pokemon Company International (TPCi) version of the English Pokemon dub playing a major role. :)

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Emily Bauer deserves a special mention. Comparing her 3 main characters, Dawn, Cynthia and Officer Jenny of Unova. I feel she captures their personalities in their voices, Dawn, the upbeat young girl filled with excitement and courage, she captures that perfectly in the voice of Dawn and it really reflects her personality. As for Cynthia, the older, more reserved but very knowledgeable champion, she has her voice down to a tee, when I hear her voice, that's exactly what I think and I know that's the character that Cynthia is portrayed as. And then finally Officer Jenny, her voice to me seems like someone who is very serious about situations and that's exactly what the role of Officer Jenny is. Comparing this to voice actors who've played more than one character, I think she sits up there with Veronica Taylor who mastered Ash, May, and Delia's voices without them sounding similar. As well as Rachel when she played Misty and Jessie, she was brilliant at making them distinct, however when she returned to play Maylene, I was disappointed that she was using Misty's voice, it was nice to hear again, but it made me question her abilities. And of course the voice of Brock and James from the original dub. When you compare these 4 actors to the actor who plays Tracey it really makes me disappointed with his acting, same goes with Jason Griffiths, being a fan of Sonic, I heard his other work, and Cilan sounds way too similar to Sonic, Shadow and other characters that he has played.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Truthfully everyone who played a main character in the series did a pretty good job overall. All of Ash's friends have distinct and proper voices that fit their characters, as do most of the rivals.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever disliked a main characters voice in this show, especially their original ones. Everyone sounds exactly how you expect them to.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Truthfully everyone who played a main character in the series did a pretty good job overall. All of Ash's friends have distinct and proper voices that fit their characters, as do most of the rivals.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever disliked a main characters voice in this show, especially their original ones. Everyone sounds exactly how you expect them to.

That's a fair point, I didn't like Max's voices but that's because the voice grinds on me a lot, but I can't criticise the voice actors for that because that is the voice I expect from him, so they're doing a good job.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Sometimes I actually wonder what all the DP and BW characters would sound like if 4kids never lost the license to dub the anime, and was still in control of the dub to this day.

Its actually hard to imagine what 4kids would have made them sound like.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Well, I'd imagine Leavanny wouldn't sound like someone in mid-puberty.

And Scolipede's voice wouldn't sound like the actor took helium.

And Archeops wouldn't sound like the guy was drinking water while acting.

And... generally every Pokémon would sound better.

Pokeminem

Gary Oak Fan
VeronicaTaylor she voiced ash and his mom

Mind blown

Misty Ketchum66

~Pokeshipping~
I prefer and LOVE the original dub voices for all the main characters as well, but I don't mind the current ones either anymore.

Sarah Natochenny is Ash/Delia now.
Bill Rogers is Brock now.
Michele Knotz is Misty, Jessie, and May now.
Kayzie Rogers is Max now.
James Carter Cathcart is James and Meowth now (Otherwise known as Jimmy Zoppi).

Non-replacements:
Emily Bauer- Dawn
Eileen Stevens - Iris
Jason Griffith- Cilan

That's everyone to my knowledge in The Pokemon Company International (TPCi) version of the English Pokemon dub playing a major role. :)

Ohhh okay. I LOVE THE ORIGINAL TOO!! <3 Thanks for sharing, I only knew about Sarah Natochenny.
I watched an interview with Stephen Staton(voice of Professor Oak) and he said when he found out he wasn't going to be doing Oak anymore, he was mad at the company and really sad about it. :(

~Misty

Blessed

Rachel Lillis is really great as Misty and Jessie. She did an excellent job voicing both! Though Emily Bauer 's Dawn's voice suits the character very well, it would be interesting how Dawn's voice would be if 4kids were still in control.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Rachel Lillis is really great as Misty and Jessie. She did an excellent job voicing both! Though Emily Bauer 's Dawn's voice suits the character very well, it would be interesting how Dawn's voice would be if 4kids were still in control.

Rachael Lilis also voiced Jessie for longer than Misty. She voices Jessie for 8 seasons and Misty for only 5. :)

Ohhh okay. I LOVE THE ORIGINAL TOO!! <3 Thanks for sharing, I only knew about Sarah Natochenny.
I watched an interview with Stephen Staton(voice of Professor Oak) and he said when he found out he wasn't going to be doing Oak anymore, he was mad at the company and really sad about it. :(

~Misty

Yeah, Stuart Zagnit/Stan Hart seemed appalled by the whole switch over-- it's very heartbreaking. Good news is, you'll be glad to hear he's gotten a cameo in S15 as Cedric Juniper (sadly Cathcart will remain Professor Oak as his departure does not seem like it will occur). The ones I'm absolutely saddened about now from the original VA cast are Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Amy Birnbaum. Those three have yet to voice any role in the current TPCi dub- it hits me hard as a fan because I truly wish they would get a cameo as well. I mean, if it's possible for the others, why not them? I hope Tom Wayland and TPCi do the right thing and give those three a role or two one day, with all my heart. I know the odds seem almost nonexistent, but it is possible they can cameo one last time.

Say what people will about 4Kids, they did a very good Pokemon dub. It broke my heart to see them lose the show they really seemed to love doing as far as I can tell, edits and all included.

Rachael Lilis also voiced Jessie for longer than Misty. She voices Jessie for 8 seasons and Misty for only 5. :)

Loved Lillis. Was very happy she cameoed in S11 as Maylene.

That's a fair point, I didn't like Max's voices but that's because the voice grinds on me a lot, but I can't criticise the voice actors for that because that is the voice I expect from him, so they're doing a good job.

I actually think Amy Birnbaum is exactly what I imagined Max/Masato to sound like, so I was very pleased with the 4Kids English dub voice. Kayzie Rogers was too forced in the role and sounded like...Coby from the 4Kids OP dub. I didn't think that voice fit Max too well lol.

Emily Bauer deserves a special mention. Comparing her 3 main characters, Dawn, Cynthia and Officer Jenny of Unova. I feel she captures their personalities in their voices, Dawn, the upbeat young girl filled with excitement and courage, she captures that perfectly in the voice of Dawn and it really reflects her personality. As for Cynthia, the older, more reserved but very knowledgeable champion, she has her voice down to a tee, when I hear her voice, that's exactly what I think and I know that's the character that Cynthia is portrayed as. And then finally Officer Jenny, her voice to me seems like someone who is very serious about situations and that's exactly what the role of Officer Jenny is. Comparing this to voice actors who've played more than one character, I think she sits up there with Veronica Taylor who mastered Ash, May, and Delia's voices without them sounding similar. As well as Rachel when she played Misty and Jessie, she was brilliant at making them distinct, however when she returned to play Maylene, I was disappointed that she was using Misty's voice, it was nice to hear again, but it made me question her abilities. And of course the voice of Brock and James from the original dub. When you compare these 4 actors to the actor who plays Tracey it really makes me disappointed with his acting, same goes with Jason Griffiths, being a fan of Sonic, I heard his other work, and Cilan sounds way too similar to Sonic, Shadow and other characters that he has played.

Eric Stuart was the man (original dub VA of Brock/James/Male Pokedex Kanto, Kanto BF). Guy had great range and each one of his voices had so much flavor and character to it. Honestly he's my favorite male VA in the entire Pokemon dub and Veronica Taylor my favorite female VA in the dub. I know they had their flaws, but they brought so much realism to the role. I think the 4Kids VAs sound so much younger and more youthful/vibrant, whereas the TPCi VAs sound so much older and more aged/wiser. I'm more partial to the 4Kids VAs because I like the lighter voices more-- it brings a surreal realism to the characters in my eyes that was so great. Bauer's Dawn was an excellent voice for TPCi, though: good casting there. :)

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Harley's VA was also amazing. I remember before the dub got up to Harley's debut episode, a lot of people were worried what 4kids would do to him. Luckily they handled him perfectly.

Bluelatios*

Lets see...Harley was done by Andrew Rannells. Yeah, he did a great job of making Harley very distinct. That sort of "fabulous flair" in the way Harley says things suits him well and makes him unique. Props to the script writers too for helping create that experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.