• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite quotes

JayZz

So, do you have any favorite quote(s)? What are they and who are they said by? Maybe it's a famous quote, or just something out of a book or movie.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Too many.

This is one of my faves.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies. ~ The Shawshank Redemption

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I've been reading lots of ancient philosophy lately and these are some quotes I felt inspired by.

"I slept and dreamt life was beautiful. I awoke and realized life is duty." - Confucius

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca

SummerHaze

I found many great quotes, love reading them for inspiration. Good quotes help me generate ideas within brainstorming and find new ideas for writing. Love this one
“One day can change your life. One day can ruin your life. All life is is three or four big days that change everything.”
Beverly Donofrio

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Milo: What are you doing?
Pickles (As she is digging a hole): Burying beer. Aww crud! That means I drank gopher poison. Quick, Milo, call an ambulance.
~The Oblongs

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

I'm a philosopher, and this is one of those overarching quotes on philosophy that demonstrates its greatness. I have read many other philosophical quotes, and I figured I would begin with one of the great overarching ones.

I'm also a lover of fine literature (I'm also a writer myself), and Dostoevsky is one of my favorite writers. Here's a quote from Crime and Punishment that I particularly like:
“It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently.”
~Fyodor Dostoevsky
Humanity's greatest evils have required great intelligence. They lack the morality that one would hope society would be able to retain in the face of the few individuals who cause them. In other words, when humans lose humanity, they become worse than anything else in nature. (Yes, I do mean that dual-meaning of "nature" there.)

Here are some other quotes that I like:
“Existence precedes and commands essence.” ~Jean-Paul Sartre (I actually have this quote on a T-shirt [in the original French.])
“Three o’clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” ~Jean-Paul Sartre (When I read this quote in Nausea, I immediately understood and identified with it.)
"The tension between being relevant and being rational, between immediacy and mediation, between participation and spectatorship, is the oldest problem in philosophy." ~Richard Rorty (This quote is fascinating due to its deceptively simple phrasing, and whether or not this is indeed the "oldest problem in philosophy," the idea is a significant one for philosophy in general.)
“Conscience, my dear, is a kind of stick that everyone picks up to thrash his neighbor with, but one he never uses against himself.” ~Honore de Balzac (My favorite French fiction writer.)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Ralph (Happily): Everything is nothing!
Buddha (In Shock): Kid *gasp* you just blew my mind.
~The Simpsons

Ryker101

‘Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However a parting need not last forever… Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time … That is up to you’ - Majora’s Mask

Always stuck with me for some reason, that game has a lot of good ones

Sham

The Guardian of War
“If you’re scared of being told no, either way it’s gonna be a no because you didn’t ask, might as well ask”.

Also

“There are different types of people out there, those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can’t and both are right”

Just actual personal quotes that stuck not anything from media

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
"The single most successful piece of propaganda in the entire history of mankind is the one that tells us that we should feel honored and privileged to have the chance to be someone else's subordinate." - Me

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
“It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.”
Buffalo Bill- Silence of the Lambs