• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Saga/Series, V3

Which saga has been your favorite so far?

• Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

Votes: 48 36.9%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova - Season 1, Season 2 [Episode N + Decolora Adventure])

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • XY (Kalos - XY, XY&Z)

Votes: 42 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Eh, if you say so. But I don't really watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, so I'm not all that familiar with him, lol.

Ah okay then. What made you think he was like Sasuke (barring the general edginess)? If anything Alain and Gladion are more like Sasuke.

Halolady

walking on eggshells
Ah okay then. What made you think he was like Sasuke (barring the general edginess)? If anything Alain and Gladion are more like Sasuke.
Dunno. I guess it's the overall dynamics Paul has with Ash that I found all too reminiscent of the dynamics shared between Sasuke and Naruto. That and he's generally edgy, which I just naturally associate with Sasuke seeing as he's the most iconic edge-lord in my eyes (Seriously, the anime industry has way too many edgy men for my liking).

And yeah, I totally agree with Alain and Gladion being similar to him, which is probably why I'm not too big a fan of them too, now that I think about it.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Dunno. I guess it's the overall dynamics Paul has with Ash that I found all too reminiscent of the dynamics shared between Sasuke and Naruto. That and he's generally edgy, which I just naturally associate with Sasuke seeing as he's the most iconic edge-lord in my eyes (Seriously, the anime industry has way too many edgy men for my liking).

And yeah, I totally agree with Alain and Gladion being similar to him, which is probably why I'm not too big a fan of them too, now that I think about it.

Fair enough. Haha I’ve noticed that I’m usually into edgy characters but yeah I agree that the anime industry has way too many edgelords and a lot of the times they just seem to be edgy for the sake of being edgy or rather their backstory doesn’t justify why they’re so edgy, so sure I can see why this character archetype can be unappealing for some people.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Well, the first one that comes to my mind is Sasuke, which is...not exactly a good thing, to say the least, haha.

Part 1 Sasuke for sure,I'd throw Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing),Part 1 Neji Hyuga,and Seto Kaiba in there as well,what all of these characters share are cold/serious personalities who value power/skill.

To me Heero Yuy comes the closest to Paul in that regard,both are practically identical in terms of characteristics.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Well, the first one that comes to my mind is Sasuke, which is...not exactly a good thing, to say the least, haha.

Sasuke is more of an anti hero than an paul equivalent, if anyone it is gladion who has similar characteristics that matches sasuke. Paul is equivalent of seto kaeba from yugioh and kai from original beyblade.

Halolady

walking on eggshells
Fair enough. Haha I’ve noticed that I’m usually into edgy characters but yeah I agree that the anime industry has way too many edgelords and a lot of the times they just seem to be edgy for the sake of being edgy or rather their backstory doesn’t justify why they’re so edgy, so sure I can see why this character archetype can be unappealing for some people.
As they say: different strokes for different folks.

Part 1 Sasuke for sure,I'd throw Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing),Part 1 Neji Hyuga,and Seto Kaiba in there as well,what all of these characters share are cold/serious personalities who value power/skill.

To me Heero Yuy comes the closest to Paul in that regard,both are practically identical in terms of characteristics.
With how mainstream that trope is among the anime community, it's not exactly hard to find a bunch of other similar characters running around. This is actually one of the things I dislike about Paul; while I'm aware that he does have some aspects to him that helps differentiate him from all the other characters you listed, I still would've preferred it if they deviated from that trope more.

Sasuke is more of an anti hero than an paul equivalent, if anyone it is gladion who has similar characteristics that matches sasuke. Paul is equivalent of seto kaeba from yugioh and kai from original beyblade.
I'm not quite familiar with the term anti-hero, but I have seen it applied to Paul several times in the past. From the examples you've listed here, I'm assuming that it refers to a seemingly callous character with good intentions? If that's the case, then I definitely do agree that Gladion is much more comparable to Sasuke in that regard.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Just though I’d share that as far as the ratings on My Anime List go the series would be ranked: XY(Z) > OS > DP > AG > SM > BW. More specifically:

- AG: 7.19
- DP: 7.22
- BW: 6.68 (till Ash got his 8th badge)
- BW S2: 6.69
- BW DA: 6.55
- XY: 7.46
- XY ME specials: 7.63
- XYZ: 7.83
- SM: 7.04 (I think the rating will increase now that the plot is kicking in)

EDIT; As you all can see BW stands out like a sore thumb as undisputed worst series.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Just though I’d share that as far as the ratings on My Anime List go the series would be ranked: XY(Z) > OS > DP > AG > SM > BW. More specifically:

EDIT; As you all can see BW stands out like a sore thumb as undisputed worst series.

And being an 'undisputed worst series' stops it being somebody's favourite how exactly?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Ratings don't mean squat lmao. It means nothing for someone's personal enjoyment of a series.
And I disagree anyways. I felt that BW was definitely better than XY/Z overall honestly. If I had to rate them: Battle Frontier>SM=DP>BW1>AG=Kanto& Orange Islands>>>>>BW season 2=Johto=XY/Z

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

No one cares.

Spyro39

Your point being?

Also, need I remind you that ratings mean nothing and are forbidden to discuss here for a good reason?

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Your point being?

Also, need I remind you that ratings mean nothing and is forbidden to discuss here for a good reason?

Oh just pointing out the broader Pokémon anime fandom consensus (this thread basically represents the Serebi PAD forum consensus).

No a rating roughly indicates how a given sample group of people perceive a product. Really I thought those were only “tv ratings” which is a totally different ball game. If ratings in general can’t be discussed then this thread violates those rules since it’s pretty much asking each user which series they “rate” the highest. The sample size of MAL voters is far higher than the sample size of PAD voters hence relative ratings on MAL would statiscally be far closer to the general Pokémon anime fandom consensus than ratings on PAD.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Yeah, what's banned is TV ratings. These numbers are just the personal opinion ratings of a certain site's userbase, which isn't the same thing.

I'm not so sure why it's supposed to matter what people on that specific site thinks about this or that series, though.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Ratings don't mean squat lmao. It means nothing for someone's personal enjoyment of a series.
And I disagree anyways. I felt that BW was definitely better than XY/Z overall honestly. If I had to rate them: Battle Frontier>SM=DP>BW1>AG=Kanto& Orange Islands>>>>>BW season 2=Johto=XY/Z

No like I said above a “rating” is how a sample group of people perceive a product to be. Of course it doesn’t mean anything for your personal enjoyment/rating silly. The poll question on this thread is basically which series do you “rate” the highest. The aggregate ratings on that site would statistically be far closer to the overall Pokémon anime fandom consensus (independent of the opinion of any 1 person) of where the series stand relative to eachother than the ratings on this site since there is a far greater sample size of voters on that site (My Anime List) than there is on this 1. Just thought it was amusing and wanted to share :).

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
XY vs DP:

- Battle Writing Quality: DP (by a slight margin)
- Battle Presentation Quality: XY (by a large margin)
- General Art/Animation: XY (by a large margin)
- Female Lead: DP (by a slight margin)
- Secondary Male Lead: XY (by a large margin; Brock shouldn’t have been in DP)
- Group Chemistry: XY
- Pokémon Personalities: XY (by a slight margin)
- Shipping: XY (by a large margin)
- Rivals: DP (by a large margin)
- Goal of Female Lead: DP (by a large margin)
- Evil Team: XY (by a large margin)
- League: DP
- Grand Festival/Master Class: DP
- Filler Quality: XY
- TRio: XY (by a slight margin)
- Continuity: DP (by a large margin)
- Regional Professor: XY
- Pacing: XY
- Ash Characterization: XY
- Ash Development: DP
- Overall: XY (by a slight margin based on the above)

I still love BF the most in terms of individual major story arcs, but XY was the best overall saga. Of course all of this is just my own personal view.

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
I'll go with AG, it may not be as good as XY and DP but I thought it has a lot of funny moments though most of it are due to the English dub. It's the season that I kept re-watching over and over again.

While I appreciate XY for its nice quality animation, I feel like it missed out a lot of opportunity and could have gone better. And I do admit that I'm still salty with XY&Z, lol.

So far, I'm enjoying SM and it's one of my favorite seasons so far. I won't say it's one of best yet until it ends though.

Steven of Venus

From Another Planet
The original series, because Ash sounded better with his actor, the music is really inspirational, Charizard is true, and Bayleef looks free and smart. though his previously evolved form, Chikorita seemed more like a girl.

Poliwrath got Charizard to be loyal and disciplined again by freezing him in an icicle that Ash worked off so hard to prove his love for Charizard, though Charizard igniting into competitive spirit against Magmar was a battle for the ages, ending in a usual seismic toss that rounds up to the sky and across the globe.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Updated Tier List:

- S
AG: Battle Frontier, DP: Sinnoh League Victors, XYZ

- S-
DP: Battle Dimension, XY: Kalos Quest

- A+

- A
DP Season 1, AG: Advanced Challenge + Advanced Battle, OS: Master Quest

- A-

- B+