• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Saga/Series, V4

Which saga has been your favorite so far?

• Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova, Decolore Islands)

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • XY (Kalos)

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Sun & Moon (Alola)

Votes: 18 15.3%

• Total voters

pickapika

They are very typical shounen which use a lot of the well known shounen tropes. Instead try more acclaimed (if you haven't already) shounen like Hunter x Hunter 2011, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood. And outside shonen are other classics like Attack on Titan, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, etc.
Is hunter 2011 signifcantly different from the 2000 version? I found hxh decent enough for the first two seasons. I've already seen fma 2003 and from what i've seen/heard the 2008 is just 2003 with less interesting characters. I've seen all the others except for attack on titan.

Fwiw, my favorite shonuney show has been scissor seven

Morax

King of heroes
Is hunter 2011 signifcantly different from the 2000 version? I found hxh decent enough for the first two seasons. I've already seen fma 2003 and from what i've seen/heard the 2008 is just 2003 with less interesting characters. I've seen all the others except for attack on titan.

Fate/stay night?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

2011 has 3 more arcs that 1999 didn't cover (well it did cover one, but it was in OVAs). As for FMAB, it's a completely different story after the first 10-ish episodes

Morax

King of heroes
EOE is pretty explicit that the world *didn't end...
Everyone besides shinji and asuka are dead.....

Edit : i mean technically they got converted into a soup of collective consciousness but they're no longer human so it's basically death.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

Dramatically, the strongest point to end would have been after everyone forgets Okabe though obviously that wouldn't have been the happiest od endings.
Okay I'm convinced you pretty much half ass every thing with minimal information and knowledge and just drop them early (yet it's a mystery how you were able to last through SM in its entirety). FMA 03 starts off similar to Brotherhood but goes for a dramatically different story after a certain point (anime original) cause the manga wasn't complete. Brotherhood was a new adaptation once the manga was finished and adapts the full manga material. As for HxH 2011, yes its far better cause of Madhouse production value and mainly cause of its superior Greed Island adaptation. Oh and of course, it had the Chimera Ant arc (hailed as one of the greatest shounen arcs). The 1999 version only adapted till Yorknew and had a seperate OVA or something for Greed Island which wasn't very good.

Also da heck, I was talking about AoT's ending and you're talking about Okabe

Last edited:

pickapika

Everyone besides shinji and asuka are dead.....
Yui explicitly says "all living things who want to come back can come back" after a lengthy monologue from shinji about how he wants to live despite all the pains that come with it. Come on now.

pickapika

Okay I'm convinced you pretty much half ass every thing with minimal information and knowledge and just drop them early. 03 starts off similar to Brotherhood but goes for a dramatically different story after a certain point (anime original) cause the manga wasn't complete. Brotherhood was a new adaptation once the manga was finished and adapts the full manga material. As for HxH 2011, yes its far better cause of Madhouse production value and mainly cause of its superior Greed Island adaptation. Oh and of course, it had the Chimera Ant arc (hailed as one of the greatest shounen arcs). The 1999 version only adapted till Yorknew and had a seperate OVA or something for Greed Island which wasn't very good.

Also da heck, I was talking about AoT's ending and you're talking about Okabe
I drop shows that I don't find interesting to save time for interesting storytelling/my own creative pursuits. As it is great shows usually show promise from the getgo anyway even if the execution isn't fully polished.

I'm aware the story deviates but the *deviations largely come down to
a. the hermonculi being simpler villains who are clearly wrong
b. the mc's character being static and
c. the mc's worldview getting reaffirmed over and over again as opposed to 2003 where the mc actually has to learn from the antagonist

The parts of brotherhood I've actually seen stack up horribly to 2003's execution of the same plotlines and the issues spotted there strongly align with what i've seen in critiques of later parts of the shows as well as the final show-off between wrath and the mc.

I thought you were talking about stein's gate for some reason. I don't recall character names too well

Morax

King of heroes
Yui explicitly says "all living things who want to come back can come back" after a lengthy monologue from shinji about how he wants to live despite all the pains that come with it. Come on now.
Not exactly.

They reverted into the mass sea of consciousness. So in a sense they “died” because they were “no longer here,” but that doesn’t mean that they are dead as in dead the way we understand it in the real world.

And besides i was using EoE as an examle of how attack on titan could have ended....

pickapika

Not exactly.

They reverted into the mass sea of consciousness. So in a sense they “died” because they were “no longer here,” but that doesn’t mean that they are dead as in dead the way we understand it in the real world.

And besides i was using EoE as an examle of attack on titan could have ended....
and then shinji made it so everyone could choose whether they wanted to remain or comeback to the living. In fact, if you follow the show's ending, it's even implied people who recently died could choose to come back(kaji). So, "asuka and shinji are the only ones left" if and only if every single person who was "killed" decided they preferred instrumentality to the real world which...doesn't really fit with how everyone initally reacted to instrumentality(and completely goes against the culmination of shinji and asuka's character arcs)

The reason we only see shinji and asuka is
a. their interactions are the centerpiece of the show
b. they were the two people who died near the lake

IDK why it's so popular to posit "everyone died" when things aren't explicitly spelled out but like, come on.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I drop shows that I don't find interesting to save time for interesting storytelling/my own creative pursuits. As it is great shows usually show promise from the getgo anyway even if the execution isn't fully polished.

I'm aware the story deviates but the *deviations largely come down to
a. the hermonculi being simpler villains who are clearly wrong
b. the mc's character being static and
c. the mc's worldview getting reaffirmed over and over again as opposed to 2003 where the mc actually has to learn from the antagonist

The parts of brotherhood I've actually seen stack up horribly to 2003's execution of the same plotlines and the issues spotted there strongly align with what i've seen in critiques of later parts of the shows as well as the final show-off between wrath and the mc.

I thought you were talking about stein's gate for some reason. I don't recall character names too well
Only Lust and Sloth were superior in 03. Brotherhood's premise may have been "simpler", but it was a coherant plot where everything felt like it was properly built up unlike 03 where it clearly felt it was making up stuff from the lab arc. Wrath, Pride, Envy (didn't care for his last minute plot twist in 03) and Greed (with Ling) are better homunculi in Brotherhood. And homunculi aside, the supporting cast of Brotherhood was superior and received more satisfying conclusions (Mustang killing Winry's parents sounded good but it's execution was disappointing in 03). 03's common material with Brotherhood tend to be a bit better cause they took a longer time to flesh it out. Brotherhood rushed the common material to skip into the main Brotherhood material and from there its definitely superior to 03's wayward storytelling. Also Wrath's final showdown was not even with Edward but with Scar so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Also, I'd take shows that start slow but have steady build up that makes them amazing shows than shows that start off strong but become a train wreck towards the end. Gintama is the perfect example of that.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Did you stop watching at Komm Sosser Todd?
I don't think this is the right place to get all philosophical but alright : It doesn't matter if "they can come back later". Their bodies are destroyed, that's basically a form of death. Whether you believe in the existence of soul or consciousness their physical existence is meaningless now. So yeah they are technically "not dead" but I'm simply using EoE as an example of what could have happened at the end of Attack on Titan.

don't think i've seen that. Might check it out since i liked the other fate's
Imagine watching Fate/zero before stay night lol. It's a huge spoiler, should have asked for a watching order.

pickapika

Only Lust and Sloth were superior in 03. Brotherhood's premise may have been "simpler", but it was a coherant plot where everything felt like it was properly built up unlike 03 where it clearly felt it was making up stuff from the lab arc. Wrath, Pride, Greed (with Ling) are superior homunculi. And homunculi aside, the supporting cast of Brotherhood was superior and received more satisfying conclusions (Mustang killing Winry's parents sounded good but it's execution was disappointing). 03's common material with Brotherhood tend to be a bit better cause they took a longer time to flesh it out. Brotherhood rushed the common material to skip into the main Brotherhood material and from there its definitely superior to 03's wayward storytelling. Also Wrath's final showdown was not even with Edward but with Scar so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Also, I'd take shows that start slow but have steady build up that makes them amazing shows than shows that start off strong but become a train wreck towards the end. Gintama is the perfect example of that.
Edward's inital motivations are much better fleshed out than his 2008 edition and his interactions with the other cast members are far more dynamic with Edward eventually having to grow as a character while prompting the hermonculi to grow themselves. Never mind nina. The main difference is not brotherhood *rushing the initial storylines, the main difference is that brotherhood went for a feel-good narrative where eric was never legitimately challenged and never incited conflict unless it was absolutely justified and as a result its characters are comparatively paper thin. Kinda like xy ash actually.

Which aspect of 2003 was "wayward" exactly?

if you're counting the emperor of shambala, sure, otherwise the fma ending not being *satisfying is just a matter of you preferring happier endings. It's completely *built up and unlike 2008 it's ending actually utilizes "the law of equivalent exchange" in a manner that's meaningful to its characters.

Morax

King of heroes
and then shinji made it so everyone could choose whether they wanted to remain or comeback to the living. In fact, if you follow the show's ending, it's even implied people who recently died could choose to come back(kaji). So, "asuka and shinji are the only ones left" if and only if every single person who was "killed" decided they preferred instrumentality to the real world which...doesn't really fit with how everyone initally reacted to instrumentality(and completely goes against the culmination of shinji and asuka's character arcs)

The reason we only see shinji and asuka is
a. their interactions are the centerpiece of the show
b. they were the two people who died near the lake

IDK why it's so popular to posit "everyone died" when things aren't explicitly spelled out but like, come on.
I'm not even disagreeing with you lol. Just saying that it's classic schrodinger's cat. They are dead and not dead at the same time.

pickapika

I don't think this is the right place to get all philosophical but alright : It doesn't matter if "they can come back later". Their bodies are destroyed, that's basically a form of death. Whether you believe in the existence of soul or consciousness their physical existence is meaningless now. So yeah they are technically "not dead" but I'm simply using EoE as an example of what could have happened at the end of Attack on Titan.

Imagine watching Fate/zero before stay night lol. It's a huge spoiler, should have asked for a watching order.
i had no clue they were connected lol. I've seen two fate shows. Not sure what the connection is though

pickapika

I'm not even disagreeing with you lol. Just saying that it's classic schrodinger's cat. They are dead and not dead at the same time.
Sure. We don't necessarily know who decides to live or stay in psuedo heaven. Fwiw yui says "all living things" so maybe some flora and fauna had to make the decision too. I wonder how ants went about choosing.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Edward's inital motivations are much better fleshed out than his 2008 edition and his interactions with the other cast members are far more dynamic with Edward eventually having to grow as a character while prompting the hermonculi to grow themselves. Never mind nina. The main difference is not brotherhood *rushing the initial storylines, the main difference is that brotherhood went for a feel-good narrative where eric was never legitimately challenged and never incited conflict unless it was absolutely justified and as a result its characters are comparatively paper thin. Kinda like xy ash actually.

Which aspect of 2003 was "wayward" exactly?

if you're counting the emperor of shambala, sure, otherwise the fma ending not being *satisfying is just a matter of you preferring happier endings. It's completely *built up and unlike 2008 it's ending actually utilizes "the law of equivalent exchange" in a manner that's meaningful to its characters.
The scene with Edward defeating Truth and giving up alchemy was far more powerful than 03. Dante felt shoehorned in (and she was somehow able to know the pinpoint locations of where characters died and make them homunculi). And its not about preferring happy endings (my favorite anime ending of all time is Code Geass and ask anyone if that's a happy ending). Brotherhood's ending just felt more satisfying and complete with everyone rebuilding and Al and Edward going their own ways (I don't even care that he married Winry so that doesn't even factor into my ending enjoyment)