• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Saga/Series, V4

Which saga has been your favorite so far?

• Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova, Decolore Islands)

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • XY (Kalos)

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Sun & Moon (Alola)

Votes: 18 15.3%

• Total voters
Something that’s always bothered me is when people bring up the fact that Serena and Clemont only talked every dozen episodes unless pertaining to Ash, people have this weird obsession claiming that the DP trio’s group dynamic was bad because Dawn and Brock weren’t particularly that close. Dawn brought up Brock twice during her appearances in each saga and they clearly had dynamics beyond Ash. I’m not sure why people bring this up instead of just admitting that the XY group had the worse interaction dynamic in the history of Pokémon.
Bonnie's active role in her interactions with Serena and Clemont made it seem like the group was more tight-knit than usual. It also helps that all the Pokémon in the cast were constantly related to each other, like Clemont rabbit and Sylveon. Bonnie brings that bonding factor where a lot of people felt the cast was very close.

About DP, The fact that Dawn mentions Brock doesn't erase the fact that her interaction with him was bad imol, Although I still feel like she was a little closer with Brock than Clemont and Serena.

Anyways, I can understand why people criticize that aspect of DP so much...just imagine XY gang without Bonnie, that's exactly what happens in DP but the difference is that Ash and Dawn were closer.

Last edited:
What interactions did Bonnie have with Serena towards the end of XY?
Well, I don't have written on paper how many times they did it or something like that, but I'm sure they were always together and Serena cared a lot about her, I would have to look for each of the moments, but one thing I'm sure of is that the interactions between Bonnie and Serena has nothing to envy to Brock and Dawn and let's not talk about the interactions between Clemont and Bonnie, which is much better than Brock and Dawn

Morax

King of heroes
I know, but these are subjective opinions and I am not defending that it is not overrated, I'm just saying that the fact that it is so loved (overrated or not) gives me the reason that it evolved well over time, this pattern is more noticeable when you ask people who are not inside the fandom. Just look at the IGN poll for an example, XYZ came in first place with much difference.

I understand that due to its extreme popularity people called it overrated, and I could agree on some things, but again, I'm not arguing that, I'm just arguing which series is still relevant in otaku or general culture to this day, and for me that is good evolution, beyond your own opinions about the plot.

I also think that this is precisely why a return of XY or something related to Kalos is so requested by the fandom, something that does not happen with BW and even SM in my opinion
XY/XYZ is still the highest rated series on MAL, and that's a community that consumes a lot of anime/manga so they do know their stuff. I don't think any other opinions matter at this point. "Overrated" and "worse dynamic" are basically damage control at this point because their favs don't get enough recognition.

RafaSceptile

XY/XYZ is still the highest rated series on MAL, and that's a community that consumes a lot of anime/manga so they do know their stuff. I don't think any other opinions matter at this point. "Overrated" and "worse dynamic" are basically damage control at this point because their favs don't get enough recognition.
My favorite series is XY and I think it’s overrated
Sure dude, damage control.
Oh and in terms of recognotion NOTHING beats OS with 0.04 higher score than XY and 4 times as many viewers.

EDIT:
I don't think any other opinions matter at this point.
Also WTF with this? This thread is about FAVORITE series, not what series is the best or the best rated, and you are NOTHING to say someone's opinion doesn't matter. This is just

"The only opinions that matters are those that I want to hear"

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Sure dude, damage control.
Oh and in terms of recognotion NOTHING beats OS with 0.04 higher score than XY and 4 times as many viewers.

EDIT:

Also WTF with this? This thread is about FAVORITE series, not what series is the best or the best rated, and you are NOTHING to say someone's opinion doesn't matter. This is just
......And so it has begun lmao.

XYZ is the season of missed opportunities.
Best season my ass. (And this is coming from someone who thought XYZ was perfection)

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Well duh, OS has been around for far longer than any other series, naturally it should have more to it's name in comparison. Though yes it's iconic status of the one that started it all definitely what got a lot of people watching. It's more likely people to start with it and just stop there if they don't like it.

Also OS is only slightly above XY, while XYZ is at 7,66 putting it 0,31 above OS (Because MAL splits it by tittle rather than entire series). If we really want to rank the series by averaging the split ones it'll be:
  1. XY
  2. OS
  3. DP
  4. JN
  5. AG
  6. SM
  7. BW
Or by how MAL does it with by tittle:
  1. XYZ
  2. OS
  3. XY
  4. DP
  5. JN
  6. AG
  7. SM
  8. The mess of tittles that make up BW

pickapika

alright, so i'm a few episodes into xy and i have to say the "ash is serious now" stuff isn't really working for me. He loses 2-1 to a gym leader and suddenlt he's like "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I BATTLE, I'LL NEVER BEAT HER AT THIS RATE". The issue is up until that point ash is potrayed as not really being fazed by anything and we've seen him lose plenty of gym battles at this point without really taking it too bad so his response to losing here is completely ooc.

XY seems to be the consensus #1 here largely based on ash's character writing but so far this seems pretty similar to dp paul where the ideas are there, but the execution is off.

Hopefully serena has a reason for chasing ash beyond...i've seen him before

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
alright, so i'm a few episodes into xy and i have to say the "ash is serious now" stuff isn't really working for me. He loses 2-1 to a gym leader and suddenlt he's like "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I BATTLE, I'LL NEVER BEAT HER AT THIS RATE". The issue is up until that point ash is potrayed as not really being fazed by anything and we've seen him lose plenty of gym battles at this point without really taking it too bad so his response to losing here is completely ooc.

XY seems to be the consensus #1 here largely based on ash's character writing but so far this seems pretty similar to dp paul where the ideas are there, but the execution is off.

From what I remember I think she used that as an excuse to leave home but it seems to be overshadowed by the shipping stuff.

From what I remember I think she used that as an excuse to leave home but it seems to be overshadowed by the shipping stuff.
That and she really wanted to see Ash again, saw him, developed a crush on him, the rest is history

and then Serena cheers him up. Yeah the start of XY is brilliant but once the fillers hit it gets kinda rough

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
In what universe is XY underrated? It's literally leading the poll here.