• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Saga/Series, V4

Which saga has been your favorite so far?

• Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova, Decolore Islands)

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • XY (Kalos)

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Sun & Moon (Alola)

Votes: 18 15.3%

• Total voters

beanDude

Reviewer
Original Series will always be my favorite since it felt like a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end. Also, it simply has the highest number of episodes I consider my favorites. I enjoy both the important episodes and the one-off stories, and in the first 5 seasons, there's way more hits than misses when it comes to the latter. Also, there's something endearing about how much the show changes over just 5 seasons without losing the traits that made the early episodes good. Probably my least favorite thing about the evolution of the Pokemon Anime after the Original Series was how around Battle Frontier and especially in Diamond and Pearl it started to abandon the sitcom-esque writing that got me hooked on it in the first place.

pickapika

Fun fact : the first 10 of fairy tail were better than One Piece. I guess that makes it the superior anime?

On a side note, why are you wasting your time on pokemon of all anime? You’ll never find the “quality” you’re waiting for.
i haven't seen either so idk what to say. Though considering how lackluster the final payoffs are and how one of it's alleged strong points(korrina's arc) was some of the worst character writing i've ever seen in this anime, I have my doubts that there's some secret genius I haven't come across yet. I would guess it's rated high among pokemon fandom because"ash is finally serious and really good at battling" which is probably *rare in the anime and therefore valuable in the eyes of pokemon fans, but as someone who returned to pokemon anime for a week or so before dropping it again, I don't see any inherent value in xy being "more serious". Since "it's serious" isn't a factor to me, my rating for it(second worst series of the show) is a lot lower than fans who think the serious tone makes it special.(and in a way,, it is, special as far as the pokemon anime is concerned)

A combination of nolstalgia and some genuine interest in its fairly expansive fictional world. The whole league system and the concept of pokemon battling interests me even if the execution is generally subpar. That and I've kind of run out of *quality animation to watch. The light hearted goofyness was alsso somewhat welcome for me after stomaching the not so light hearted stuff from kino's journey, zankyou no terror, and mosou darinin. Feel free to make recs.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
i haven't seen either so idk what to say. Though considering how lackluster the final payoffs are and how one of it's alleged strong points(korrina's arc) was some of the worst character writing i've ever seen in this anime, I have my doubts that there's some secret genius I haven't come across yet. I would guess it's rated high among pokemon fandom because"ash is finally serious and really good at battling" which is probably *rare in the anime and therefore valuable in the eyes of pokemon fans, but as someone who returned to pokemon anime for a week or so before dropping it again, I don't see any inherent value in xy being "more serious". Since "it's serious" isn't a factor to me, my rating for it(second worst series of the show) is a lot lower than fans who think the serious tone makes it special.(and in a way,, it is, special as far as the pokemon anime is concerned)

A combination of nolstalgia and some genuine interest in its fairly expansive fictional world. The whole league system and the concept of pokemon battling interests me even if the execution is generally subpar. That and I've kind of run out of *quality animation to watch. The light hearted goofyness was alsso somewhat welcome for me after stomaching the not so light hearted stuff from kino's journey, zankyou no terror, and mosou darinin. Feel free to make recs.
Believe me, you’re better off watching One Piece or Berserk if world building and lore is what interests you. Pokemon is just wasted potential

Believe me, you’re better off watching One Piece or Berserk if world building and lore is what interests you. Pokemon is just wasted potential
It is true, in general DP and XY at times promise, but it will not stop being wasted potential

My favorites are XY and OS
They are also my favorites

I don't really care much what MAL says, the only certain thing is that in the average rating in Japan prove that each series has more ratings than the other. That is, BW was more viewed than XY, XY was more viewed than SM, and SM was more viewed than JN.

pickapika

have seen beserk, the original version anyway. Pretty solid. The new one's pilot was pretty terrible and it was visually painful to look at, so I just dropped it.

I'm skeptical of watching out and out shonen as both db and naruto got very lame very quickly when i tried them despite a promising first few eps

Morax

King of heroes
have seen beserk, the original version anyway. Pretty solid. The new one's pilot was pretty terrible and it was visually painful to look at, so I just dropped it.

I'm skeptical of watching out and out shonen as both db and naruto got very lame very quickly when i tried them despite a promising first few eps
I meant to say read berserk lol. The anime is terrible.

I fail to see how db and naruto are any worse than pokemon…. But i guess shounen is not your thing? How about some isekai/ecchi/fantasy like overlord or mushoku tensei?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

They are very typical shounen which use a lot of the well known shounen tropes. Instead try more acclaimed (if you haven't already) shounen like Hunter x Hunter 2011, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood. And outside shonen are other classics like Attack on Titan, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, etc.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

Btw, did you watch DB or DBZ, since well DBZ is the second half, and DB has a completely different style

Morax

King of heroes
They are very typical shounen which use a lot of the well known shounen tropes. Instead try more acclaimed (if you haven't already) shounen like Hunter x Hunter 2011, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood. And outside shonen are other classics like Attack on Titan, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, etc.
I don’t think he’s into shounen so AoT and FZ might not be for him. Maybe something like konosuba and gintama?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I don’t think he’s into shounen so AoT and FZ might not be for him. Maybe something like konosuba and gintama?
AoT isn't really shonen either. The later half of AoT sure as hell feels more seinen, and even then, AoT is far from the usual shonen and doesn't follow its tropes. Its far grittier and raw. Even without shounen there are those that aren't battle shonen and don't follow the usual tropes and those are what I recommended.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Let me remind you

images
Isayama dropped the ball from 126 onwards (though 130 and 131 were masterpieces). It isn't even a seinen vs shounen issue anymore as much as it is an Isayama issue. Doesn't change the fact that post timeskip, especially Marley and War for Paradis till 125 were out of this world.

Morax

King of heroes
Isayama dropped the ball from 126 onwards (though 130 and 131 were masterpieces). It isn't even a seinen vs shounen issue anymore as much as it is an Isayama issue. Doesn't change the fact that post timeskip, especially Marley and War for Paradis till 125 were out of this world.
Yeah the marley politics was great.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah the marley politics was great.
AoT just kept getting better and better till the rumbling. Female Titan, Clash of Titans, Uprising (first indication of the true political conspiracies), Return to Shiganshina (amazing finale pre timeskip), and then Marley and War for Paradis. All amazing

Morax

King of heroes
AoT just kept getting better and better till the rumbling. Female Titan, Clash of Titans, Uprising (first indication of the true political conspiracies), Return to Shiganshina (amazing finale pre timeskip), and then Marley and War for Paradis. All amazing
images

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah.......that's the rumbling. Post 132 it was clear Isayama was struggling to end the series and this was......well its been talked and meme'd to death so I'm not gonna say anything more. I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶O̶E̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶i̶u̶m̶

Morax

King of heroes
Yeah.......that's the rumbling. Post 132 it was clear Isayama was struggling to end the series and this was......well its been talked and meme'd to death so I'm not gonna say anything more. I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶O̶E̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶i̶u̶m̶
Eren should have just destroyed the world, like the End of Evangelion. That would have been far more interesting than the “peace” ending we got.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Eren should have just destroyed the world, like the End of Evangelion. That would have been far more interesting than the “peace” ending we got.
He did though, he wiped out 80% of the world's population and his intention was to always keep his fellow Paradis friends safe which he did. I was fine with the endings we got for the rest of the cast, just not the lead up to it and especially that Eren and Armin paths talk. Ymir was very wasted as well.