• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Saga/Series, V4

Which saga has been your favorite so far?

• Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova, Decolore Islands)

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • XY (Kalos)

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Sun & Moon (Alola)

Votes: 18 15.3%

• Total voters
Considering that I never gave reasons,

Here's how I rank My 3 favorites, the others (SM, BW, AG / BF) have alternate positions

3) DP: Better contest battles, Dawn had good development, cool villains with Hunter J & Team Galactic, & had the best rival ever Paul, whose rivalry with Ash lead to my favorite (6 vs 6) anime battle ...My problem was the number of episodes between the seventh badge and the eighth

2) OS: I admit that nostalgia makes me place it here, but what I liked the most was the dynamics of the characters, Ash quite a bit more "human" ,comedy , charizard and the OI arc, I just didn't like Johto that much

1) XY(Z): Great characters with great development, well animated battles, Ash had great team,Ash-Greninja, exciting league with strong rivals, Clemont & the greatest villain arc ever that was built up early on in a 4 part side story

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
You mean AG has as much votes as BW right?

Not just that it only has 2 votes, it should be atleast top 3. AG was very well written had good battles, good female heroine, good concept with double battles and contests, good rivals and ash atleast won something memorable.

Not just that it only has 2 votes, it should be atleast top 3. AG was very well written had good battles, good female heroine, good concept with double battles and contests, good rivals and ash atleast won something memorable.
Should have more votes, but unfortunately, May ruined it for me

I think the fact that DP is an improved version of AG (imo), makes people prefer to go with this option

Leaguefan

Considering that I never gave reasons,

Here's how I rank My 3 favorites, the others (SM, BW, AG / BF) have alternate positions

3) DP: Better contest battles, Dawn had good development, cool villains with Hunter J & Team Galactic, & had the best rival ever Paul, whose rivalry with Ash lead to my favorite (6 vs 6) anime battle ...My problem was the number of episodes between the seventh badge and the eighth

2) OS: I admit that nostalgia makes me place it here, but what I liked the most was the dynamics of the characters, Ash quite a bit more "human" ,comedy , charizard and the OI arc, I just didn't like Johto that much

1) XY(Z): Great characters with great development, well animated battles, Ash had great team,Ash-Greninja, exciting league with strong rivals, Clemont & the greatest villain arc ever that was built up early on in a 4 part side story
I agree, but DP should be second

RafaSceptile

Usually I have mixed feelings about AG because I don't think the Hoenn arc was so great especially for Ash, but after reconsidering a bit about it, I think you are right, I enjoyed the Battle Frontier arc so much. When I ranked the series, I usually rank the region arcs, separating OS in Kanto-OI-Johto, AG in Hoenn-BF and BW in Unova-DA, and in the end I ranked BF as my 3rd favorite part of the anime. If Ash had a rival during this, it probably would be 2nd place.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Usually I have mixed feelings about AG because I don't think the Hoenn arc was so great especially for Ash, but after reconsidering a bit about it, I think you are right, I enjoyed the Battle Frontier arc so much. When I ranked the series, I usually rank the region arcs, separating OS in Kanto-OI-Johto, AG in Hoenn-BF and BW in Unova-DA, and in the end I ranked BF as my 3rd favorite part of the anime. If Ash had a rival during this, it probably would be 2nd place.

The only thing i didn't liked in AG was there was no tension during the league time like it had during the johto and sinnoh league, the nature of the league was too jolly. Maybe due to lack of rivals but tyson and morrison were never good rivals to begin with. The only other league which was so jolly was unnova and that was only because trip was taken out in the first round all the other leagues have certain amount of tension and pressure.

Xuxuba

I rewatched AG when ORAS came out and i skipped all of the fillers. It was a much better experience overall, because AG probably has one of the worst collection of fillers i have ever seen in any show. They are unoriginal, uneventful and uneding, even for Pokémon standards (tho possibly not as bad as OS Johto's fillers).
But the important episodes were so great that i binged it so quickly and reached the League arc in just a few days. Granted a few important episodes weren't as great, such as the Team Aqua vs Team Magma finale and Ash's battle against Tyson (overall, they could have handled the rivals a lot better), but in my opinion the positive outweight the negative, so i would still rank AG high, because what matters the most to me is the overall experience and the arcs with actual development and plot advancement. The fillers are there just because the animators are forced to put something out every week, so i will gladly ignore them.

I didn't rewatch BF recently but i still remember really enjoying it, aside from the fillers. It was a very original and well executed concept and seeing all of his previously caught Pokémon was nice, because for once there was a pay off for Ash training those Pokémon and not simply forgetting them once the series was over

RafaSceptile

The only thing i didn't liked in AG was there was no tension during the league time like it had during the johto and sinnoh league, the nature of the league was too jolly. Maybe due to lack of rivals but tyson and morrison were never good rivals to begin with. The only other league which was so jolly was unnova and that was only because trip was taken out in the first round all the other leagues have certain amount of tension and pressure.
I remember to mention that when I ranked the Pokémon Leagues. Hoenn was in the low side because of the lack of a developmented rival really affect the history of the arc. The double battles were interesting but nothing amazing, and the only thing why the Hoenn League shines a bit is because it has 3 6vs6 battles, but in the end, those were 4 episodes, such as other leagues like Sinnoh, Kalos and Alola, with better and less rushed full battles (but Ash vs Tobias).

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I found AG boring and doesnt help matters I never got the hype for May. I watched AG after DP so maybe thats why. For me contests in DP and Dawn in general >>>> Hoenn contests and May
AG Ash was alright
AG Brock was boring
Max was horrible
Terrible villain plot
Okayish/sluggish fillers
The Hoenn league sucked for me outside of Ash vs Katie it was so mediocre. Morisson and Tyson are horrible rivals
AG TR sucked

So yea... AG was always forgettable to me, until BF happened. BF I agree is absolutely fantastic, BF Ash is amazing, even May's contests improved, the fillers improved and it was just one of the peaks of Pokemon

Heavily disagree with the fact fillers shouldnt be taken into account when judging series because fillers are an INTEGRAL and INHERENT part of Pokemon by now, it isnt only something made coz the writers have to show an episode every week, by the nature of Pokemon fillers have to exist to show off every type of Pokemon and unique characteristics, since its a staple of the series and takes up a huge chunk of episodes...they should be considered

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
AG big strength was that the pacing was way better than that filler hell of Johto and having a second character with a better goal and active goal progression in May. And the battles were also more fleshed out.

The problem of AG however was the lack of confrontation and depth in the characters. Yeah May had a goal but the execution of the Hoenn contest were rather bad. Drew was rather a motivation trigger for May than a serious rival. Yes by definition he is her rival but they almost did nothing with him on a greater scale. Harley was a bit better but introduced way to late in the Hoenn part of the series. What they instead did were CotD characters that played a one time rival like Kaito Dusclops and Medicham-chan.

Villain plot was mediocre. Not super flawed but everything when I watched the Magma/Aqua episodes I always felt like they could've been so much better. Pacing was good but the episodes between the contests/gyms could've been used more to give the Pokemon more character development and focus. Pokemon like Torkoal needed it. And they could've done more with Max because as much as I like the four way dynamic of the group he was rather annoying.

BF fixed a lot of issues and I definitely think it made AG a for Pokemon standard decent series but I always thought about how AG ended up if the Hoenn part got the BF treatment. At the end of the day I still think with the exception of DP it is better than the rest of the series.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
XY is still my favorite and I highly doubt any upcoming series is surpassing it anytime soon.
I think it had the best elements of any Pokemon series yet, with a few exceptions like League and main Rival which DP did better, which is probably why it's my 2nd favorite series.
Almost 2 years later, XY still clear top 1. I don't really care about the rest of the series anymore honestly lol but I guess I will rank them for the lulz

1. XY (Nice, 8/10, Serena still a favorite)

(Massive Gap)

2. DP (It's good but apart from Paul and Infernape I kinda don't care honestly, 7/10)
3. AG (Battle Frontier was kinda good, 6.5/10)
4. OG (Kinda mid but Fun, 5/0)
5. BW (2-3/10)

6. SM (1/10)
7. JN (Dropped)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Im rewatching AG and I'm enjoying it alot more than my first watch from what I remember and I think it's probably my favorite series of the Pokemon anime now.
I'll update my rankings of the series:
AG>OS>DP>SM>XY>BW>Journeys
I still feel that the first 3 series were the best and when the anime still had a soul and tbh while I still dislike XY, Journeys made me appreciate its arcs, since they barely exist in journeys.
Also I decided to rank BW down because it is when the anime died for me.

Im rewatching AG and I'm enjoying it alot more than my first watch from what I remember and I think it's probably my favorite series of the Pokemon anime now.
I'll update my rankings of the series:
AG>OS>DP>SM>XY>BW>Journeys
I still feel that the first 3 series were the best and when the anime still had a soul and tbh while I still dislike XY, Journeys made me appreciate its arcs, since they barely exist in journeys.
Also I decided to rank BW down because it is when the anime died for me.
some love for AG? good to see

Idk if XY is my favorite series anymore. Then again if it drops it’s still second best